X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spirited
    • Jan 2005

Warranties

After finally putting away enough money over the years, I am able to buy myself a new LCD TV. I have a very old CRT, and the tube is dieing. I have narrowed my choice between 2 manufacturers: Sharp and Sony. I would love to know your experience regarding extended warranties and customer service.

(1) Are extended warranties worth the extra money?

(2) Since I live in Canada, should I buy from one particular retailer?

I am really concerned about burnt pixels, and how many are acceptable.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

#1-In my brief experience in electronics retail (8 months) I was told LCD TVs can't (won't) be fixed-just replaced. At least that's what our extended service contracts did if the display crapped out. I worked there and bought an extended service contract at full pop for my tv. For me it paid off. I bought a floor model at cost and it died twice in one month. I got a brand new-in-the-box TV and haven't had any problems since.
    Not being familiar with Canada's retail system I have nothing to offer there , but somebody should chime in soon on that score. Good luck!
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

I guess it depends on a service warranty or a replacement warranty.

I've never really regretted purchasing a replacement warranty. I've used one once which saved me lots of money. But, it seriously seems every time I don't buy one something happens.
      -Joe

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

If you can afford replacement or extended warranties, get 'em. Electronics are fickle and sometimes devilsh things and once they go on you, the cost of repairs is often prohibitive.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• spirited
          • Jan 2005

First off, thank you for sharing your thoughts gentlemen.

I have read a lot of horror stories on the internet about manufacturers refusing to take a TV back in the first year, because burnt pixels were deemed "normal". Furthermore, retailers follow a manufacturer's lead when it comes to repair or replacement.

I went to Best Buy 2 weeks ago, and the salesperson told me that my TV would have to have 7 pixels on a line to be repaired/ replaced. Is that acceptable?

This is why I'm asking you (the experts) which LCD TV is the most durable, and which manufacturer offers the best service when it comes to repair. It's a lot of money for me, and I do not want to blow this one.

Thank you again

Larry

Comment

• spirited
            • Jan 2005

I would have loved more of your thoughts on this matter, because I'm about to spend alot of money.Burnt pixels and shoddy warranties are a big concern for me.

Thank you again guys.

Larry

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by spirited
              I would have loved more of your thoughts on this matter, because I'm about to spend alot of money.Burnt pixels and shoddy warranties are a big concern for me.

Thank you again guys.

Larry
              I know that the 2 yr. warranty that came with my Optoma, was a big part of my chosing them. With it being my first Front Projector, I was a little nervous about reliability.
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

It's going to depend on the company honestly. I know places like Best Buy has things like pixel acceptance and what not which I think its 5 dead pixels or less they say is ok and won't fix or replace it. I know Sears will do it for a single dead pixel. I've never had much luck with Best Buy and warranties. Circuit City has never done me wrong on them though and Sears always is great with their warranties.

Comment

• spirited
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                  It's going to depend on the company honestly. I know places like Best Buy has things like pixel acceptance and what not which I think its 5 dead pixels or less they say is ok and won't fix or replace it. I know Sears will do it for a single dead pixel. I've never had much luck with Best Buy and warranties. Circuit City has never done me wrong on them though and Sears always is great with their warranties.
                  Thank you so much Dougie. That's exactly the information I needed. :T

Comment

• Dean McManis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • May 2003

Often extended warranties are like buying an insurance policy on the failure of your electronics device. I have also experienced multiple failures with maybe 1/5th of the floor models that I've bought over the years, and so I will figure in the cost of an extended warranty for those purchases.

But with new, name-brand electronics I rarely get the extended warranty because I have had a good reliability track-record with most new electronics purchases so far. Most of the electronics (and computer) items that I get either fail in the first 6 months (often in the first week/month) of use, or they last for many years without problems.

Of course there also is a balance between the eventual replacement price compared to the extended warranty price because I've been an early adopter I often just buy a new unit when the old one dies, but then again I've generally had pretty good luck so far overall. :T

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"