X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

Need a long throw, confused how to figure it

My friend needs a projector. His room is a family room/kitchenette, so his wifes wants the projector on the back wall, which is about 22 ft back. He wants his screen to be around 110". The models he has available at a good cost are:
    Marantz VP8600
    Optoma HD8000
    JVC RS1
    He is open to other models, but these three he can get at good pricing.
    I tried projector central's calculator, but wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at. There is a green slider bar that gives quite a range. It started saying things like, reduce image or increase brightess... hmm. Anyway, is there anyway to tell by looking at the projector how I can set the throw. I look at the JVC and it says "Zoom Lens with 2 times Throw Ratio (1.4:1-2.8:1)" What in tarnation does that compute to? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
    The other option is a cheap non-electric setup he could use to keep the projector high until he needs it, then he can pull it down. He looked at electic platforms and they cost a lot. Maybe a hydraulic bar or something? If anyone has any thoughts, you are da man. Thanks in advance.

Roly
  • speakerboy
    • Nov 2005

I'm still a noob when it comes to front projectors (I just got a JVC RS2). But depending on the unit, 22ft could be TOO FAR back. Too long of a throw distance and you lose brightness. Likewise, too much zoom with the lens and you lose brightness. My RS2's throw distance is just over 12ft (that's to my back wall) and the biggest screen size I can get is about 115" diagonal...but I'm sticking with 100"; the brightness and overall contrast wasn't as good when i had the lens zoomed all the way out to get the 115" size.

To answer your question, the RS1 has a 2x zoom lens. The throw ratio is the throw distance divided by the width of the screen. Go here for a better explanation:

Last edited by speakerboy; 12 February 2008, 03:25 Tuesday.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

On the Projector Central calculator site, the green area covers zoom. There's a minumum and a maximum. But at 22 feet you are going to need a very bright projector. Also, finding a projector that will give a 110" picture at 22 feet won't be easy, but they are out there.
      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"