X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrd
    • Dec 2003

Flat Panel Recommendations

I'd love to hear recommendations on a flat panel display. Here are the general guidelines: Not more than $3K and roughly a 50" size. I've been partial to Sony in the past, but am willing to entertain other manufacturers. Of course, I want it to do 1080p and have all the usual inputs typical of a late-model display. I understand the basic differences between LCD, plasma, DLP, LCoS, etc..., but don't have much "eyeballs on" experience to know if one technology stands out as being preferable to another. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

A couple TV's I've looked at recently are the Panasonic 700 and 750 series 1080p plasma's specifically the 50" sizes which I've found online for about 2500 (750 model). Also the Pioneer 50" Kuro which online is about 3500. To be honest I can't justify spending 1000 more on the Pioneer even though it probably has deeper blacks. The Panasonic is just amazing TV. I feel it has a more natural picture to it as with LCD's everything seems overly bright. A plasma in stores never looks that great to me because its always next to a bunch of super bright LCD's. So you have to decide what type of tech you want. But definitely look into the Panasonics! And if you can try and demo one in home.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

For Plasmas I agree, look at the Panny's and Samsung's on the "affordable" end and Pioneer's on the....less affordable end :lol:

For LCD Samsung, Sharp and Sony.

RPTV, Samsung (DLP), JVC (LCOS) or Sony (SXRD/LCOS)

...from there you need to decide what tech you'd prefer/what would work best in your space and how much you want to spend. Is it a bright room? Plan to watch mostly at night or day etc?
      Jason

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

I tend to prefer the LCDs to plasmas, but I haven't done any serious testing. To me, they look comparable with HD material. My parents have a 50" Samsung plasma (720p) and it looks very nice.

I just "bought" a 46" 1080p Sharp LCD. Bought is in quotes because I paid for it but Sears is trying to shaft me out of a Black Friday deal. Hopefully things will work out.

Dougie is right about the brightness, I also see a lot of the expensive LCDs have brightness and contrast controls turned up. Caught a display at Sam's like that this weekend. A $2600 unit was jacked up compared to the neighboring $2000 unit (same size, both 1080p, etc).
        Danish

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

In the last 6 months, I've bought two Samsung LCD's, and am very happy. The latest one I bought has the new 120Hz technology, which I HIGHLY recommend. Very much improves the picture during motion scenes.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
            In the last 6 months, I've bought two Samsung LCD's, and am very happy. The latest one I bought has the new 120Hz technology, which I HIGHLY recommend. Very much improves the picture during motion scenes.
            Chris, a quick question for you...

Does your set automatically disable the 120hz Motionflow feature when receiving a 24p signal?

Ta.

V.
            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Alloroc
              Chris, a quick question for you...

Does your set automatically disable the 120hz Motionflow feature when receiving a 24p signal?

Ta.

V.
              120is divisible by 24
              Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Right... so, (at least as I understand it) the benefit of 120Hz is using the high refresh rate for both video and film.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                  Right... so, (at least as I understand it) the benefit of 120Hz is using the high refresh rate for both video and film.
                  Our sets here are 50 and/or 100Hz.....

All winking aside, the reason I ask is that I read in a Sony brochure that their new sets automatically disables motionflow when it gets a 24p signal. It make perfect sense to me. On the other hand I read a review that was critical of the the 100Hz sammies as it introduced an unnatural picture with HD 24p content. So, I was wondering do they provide a feature disable motionflow. Or am I mising something!?
                  Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Interesting, Vincent. My 71-series Samsung has a selection for their 120Hz "Motion Plus" setting, where you can set it high, medium, low, or off. But I think what that is, is digital processing additions to the 120Hz, where it will interpolate the location of an object that is in motion between two frames, whether it's 24p or 60p. At first, I was loving it on "high", as the motion was INCREDIBLY smooth, but I started noticing "artifacts" around objects in motion. So I've reduced my setting to low, which seems to be a good compromise.

I don't think you can turn the actual 120Hz rate OFF, though, as that's the basic TV qualities. I think you can only turn off the additional digital processing--Sony too?
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Now we just need them to implement 5:5 pull down etc to take FULL advantage of it...maybe next year :lol:
                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"