X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • razzbo56
    • Jan 2006

Panasonic or Pioneer ?

Can't decide between the Pioneer PDP-4270HD or the new Panasonic TH-42PX77U. What do you guys think. The Pioneer is actually about $120.00 cheaper right now.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If there's anyway you can afford/get a deal on a PRO-940HD I'd recommend it. Otherwise I'd say it's a tossup, see which has a more pleasing picture/GUI/remote/price etc
    Jason

Comment

• razzbo56
      • Jan 2006

Anyone else ??

Comment

• gostan
        • May 2003

I would opt for the Pioneer if it is cheaper.

If you were thinking about a screen larger than the 42 inch, I would consider waiting for the new 8G Pioneers if you are a "latest and greatest" type: http://www.twice.com/article/CA6440891.html
        Stan

Comment

• jayhawk75
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by razzbo56
          Anyone else ??
          i was going to get pioneer last year. none available. i was going to get a pioneer this spring and did audio upgrades instead. now pioneer is coming out with new models shortly with their new glass. in the fall the elite models will follow. blogs from the new york show give dates and prices. if you see one you like in stock you should be able to get at a very good price becasue of the new models coming out. i have yet to hear one bad thing about a pioneer. i guess i am going to wait till fall when the new elite 60" comes out.

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Doesn't Matsushita (Panasonic) make the majority of plasma "bags" for the industry? I don't know if they make Pioneer's , but I have seen some very good looking Panny displays.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• comeup
              • Jul 2005

The barbershop where I get my haircut has the Panasonic I liked it until I saw it next to a Pioneer Elite Pro940HD I agree with Jason. You can get one at www.Vanns.com for 1999$ no tax plus free shipping. I love it so much I'm thinking of getting the 1140 50' for the family room.

P.S. the Panasonic at the barbershop the plastic is warping from heat
              Blake

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
                Doesn't Matsushita (Panasonic) make the majority of plasma "bags" for the industry? I don't know if they make Pioneer's , but I have seen some very good looking Panny displays.
                no pioneer is unique

Comment

• peterS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Anyone else ??
                  the pioneers have always looked best- having not seen the new panasonics- ill have to speculate they have made no improvements in performance like last year

the only knock i have on the pioneers is that they have a wide pixel pinch relative to others

Comment

• comeup
                    • Jul 2005

Pete, when I compared the two the Panasonics color looked a bit faded to the Pioneer. I was actually in the market for the 600 series Pan until getting a close look at the Pioneer. I was at the shop for a couple of hours comparing the two. The Pioneer was very close to the Fujitsu at half the price.

After noticing the warping plastic on the Pan at the B shop I noticed small dents on all of the 60 series pans along the frame like small pressure dents when putting it together its hard to explain, but check it out next time your in a store. Look at the surface from the side and you'll see the dents...not pretty.

I do think the Panasonics have a great picture for the price. I am a little concerned about built quality though, a friend bought one from fry's a 37inch 60 series and it went completely out in a month something on the circuit board went wrong Fry's did replace it immediatly. No problems since.

I actually praised Panasonic on another thread just learned a lot since then.

P.S. I'm the one that told him to buy the 37inch after reading so many good reviews on the Panasonics, we need to be careful of opinions even sometimes of our own :W
                    Blake

Comment

• peterS
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by comeup
                      Pete, when I compared the two the Panasonics color looked a bit faded to the Pioneer. I was actually in the market for the 600 series Pan until getting a close look at the Pioneer. I was at the shop for a couple of hours comparing the two. The Pioneer was very close to the Fujitsu at half the price.

After noticing the warping plastic on the Pan at the B shop I noticed small dents on all of the 60 series pans along the frame like small pressure dents when putting it together its hard to explain, but check it out next time your in a store. Look at the surface from the side and you'll see the dents...not pretty.

I do think the Panasonics have a great picture for the price. I am a little concerned about built quality though, a friend bought one from fry's a 37inch 60 series and it went completely out in a month something on the circuit board went wrong Fry's did replace it immediatly. No problems since.

I actually praised Panasonic on another thread just learned a lot since then.

P.S. I'm the one that told him to buy the 37inch after reading so many good reviews on the Panasonics, we need to be careful of opinions even sometimes of our own :W
                      yup pioneers defiantly have the most vibrant colors
                      two generations ago panasonics were definitely a no brainer in bang for buck
                      since then they have shifted to manufacturing in mexico vs japan

samsung is the only manufacturer that i have seen make significant improvements in quality and performance while dropping prices (pioneer included)

plasmas are very very high current devices... im surprised peoples houses dont burn down

its interesting to see sentiment change on this forum as two years ago it was blasphemy to recommend pioneer over panasonic

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

I think blasphemy might be a bit extreme Peter Fact is Pannie's performance/dollar was (and to a lesser degree still is) pretty undeniable.
                        Jason

Comment

• peterS
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                          I think blasphemy might be a bit extreme Peter Fact is Pannie's performance/dollar was (and to a lesser degree still is) pretty undeniable.
                          according to consumer reports its HP or toshiba :roll: :rofl:

Comment

• comeup
                            • Jul 2005

How about Vizio????????? The sixty inch has a firm metal built on it very nice looking frame. Not sure about quality parts on the inside.
                            Blake

Comment

• peterS
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005

what is the price?

Comment

• bigburner
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by peterS
                                according to consumer reports its HP or toshiba :roll: :rofl:
                                I don't understand. Do you mean that HP and Toshiba currently provide the best price performance?

Comment

• razzbo56
                                  • Jan 2006

Well guys I bit the bullet and ordered the pioneer PDP-5070HD Got it for $2300.00 shipped from an authorized Pioneer dealer.Cant wait to get it in and start playing with it.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Congrats :banana: Don't forget your DVE or AVIA disc
                                    Jason

Comment

• peterS
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2005

Well guys I bit the bullet and ordered the pioneer PDP-5070HD Got it for $2300.00 shipped from an authorized Pioneer dealer.Cant wait to get it in and start playing with it.
                                      at that price its a no brainer

Comment

• peterS
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                                        I don't understand. Do you mean that HP and Toshiba currently provide the best price performance?
                                        I dont think the HP should be considered by anyone
                                        I cant think of an argument for toshiba either as it is inferior to lg, samsung and panasonic

it makes you question whether consumers report is biased or that ignorant

Comment

• comeup
                                          • Jul 2005

I think Consumer Reports is more less for the budget buyers not video or audiophiles or like ourselves, although we do budget for our secondary products.

razzbo, you will not regret it I'm still amazed with my Pioneer when I can steal it from the wife, I remember when she didn't care about HD she can't do without it now, so thats why I'm planning to buy a 50 for the family room.

razzbo, have fun with your new toy and post your satifaction report when you receive it.
                                          Blake

Comment

• comeup
                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by peterS
                                            what is the price?
                                            2499$ at Costco
                                            Blake

Comment

• whoaru99
                                              • Jul 2004

One thing is for sure, at least IMO, it's pretty hard to compare any of the sets unless:

1. Calibrated (at least with DVE/AVIA)
                                              2. Are in the same lighting conditions
                                              3. Are getting with the same quality of signal feed
                                              4. One or the other hasn't been initially "baked" on the vivid setting

I have a Panasonic 50PX60U and I don't notice excessive heat eminating from it or see any warpage/disfiguration of the bezel.

One thing I would look for now if I were to get a different set is 1:1 pixel mapping capability. That seems like it would have some benefits, but admittedly, I'm far from versed in that regard.

I'm satisfied with mine, but now that prices on other brands have come down, a decision to spend a little more becomes more lucrative. When I purchased, the other contenders were a fair bit more $$ than the Panasonic.
                                              There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• comeup
                                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                                                One thing is for sure, at least IMO, it's pretty hard to compare any of the sets unless:

1. Calibrated (at least with DVE/AVIA)
                                                2. Are in the same lighting conditions
                                                3. Are getting with the same quality of signal feed
                                                4. One or the other hasn't been initially "baked" on the vivid setting

I have a Panasonic 50PX60U and I don't notice excessive heat eminating from it or see any warpage/disfiguration of the bezel.

One thing I would look for now if I were to get a different set is 1:1 pixel mapping capability. That seems like it would have some benefits, but admittedly, I'm far from versed in that regard.

I'm satisfied with mine, but now that prices on other brands have come down, a decision to spend a little more becomes more lucrative. When I purchased, the other contenders were a fair bit more $$ than the Panasonic.

Actually the dents were on all of the 6 series (my mistake) Costco sells a 6, 60 and 600 series. The 37inch I mentioned above is a 60 series that the board went bad on

Whoaru99. hopefully that was a fluke that happened with the 37 and I hope that it doesn't happen to your plasma didn't mean to offend anyone just trying to give some info on what I've experienced with the two plasmas. I'm no expert for sure ops:
                                                Blake

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                  • Jul 2004

No offense taken. :T

I was just relating my experience as well.

The Pioneer sets are very good from what I've seen.
                                                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• David Meek
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

I'm extremely happy with my Elite PRO1140HD. No complaints at all.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• comeup
                                                      • Jul 2005

David, do you feel the need for 1080P at all
                                                      Blake

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                        • Jul 2004

I'm not David but, IMO, it depends.

If you are going to use a true 1080P source (of which there are relatively few) and are going to sit close to the TV then probably yes. If not, then probably no.

Here's a chart that lays out the resolution situation.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• aud19
                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2003

Great diagram :T
                                                          Jason

Comment

• comeup
                                                            • Jul 2005

So, since I would be 12-13 feet away from the screen there would be no need for a 1080P set according to this chart I wouldn't notice pixels until I went 10 feet or under before noticing pixels for a 50 inch set.....if I'm looking at this correctly.
                                                            Blake

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                              • Jul 2004

Yeah. That's basically my take on it.

Considering a 50" set, there is no real visual benefit to 1080P unless you are sitting closer than 10' to the TV.

Gotta tell you though, this is a chart I snagged out of some material I came across while researching for my purchase. It's not something I came up with from personal experience.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• peterS
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2005

2499$ at Costco
                                                                oh no

at least get the panasonic 58 - it sells for the same

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

David, do you feel the need for 1080P at all
                                                                  Not a bit. Due to the lack of reasonably priced sources the 1080P issue is a non-starter for me right now. Once things shake out on sources, availability increases and prices lower then I'll probably look into a 1080P set. But, I've enjoyed a superb picture for months that I wouldn't have had I waited for the next step in the technology ladder. To me, it was worth it.

FWIW, I sit from 10-12 feet from the screen of my 50", so I'm right in the sweet spot for my plasma according to Who's chart.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• comeup
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2005

David, every other day I stop by Magnolia and compare the Pro1140HD with the Sony 1080P and Sharps 1080P and the Pioneer looks the best to me IMHO at 720P. For my eyes there's a lot more to a picture than resolution and Pioneer knows how to use that other stuff.

PeterS, believe it or not Fry's has the Panasonic 58' for 2199$. You know sometimes Costco doesn't have the best prices I'm starting to learn.

Boy, these plasmas are really coming down in price thank you 1080P
                                                                    Blake

Comment

• Gremal
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2007

Yeah, you can get some incredible deals now. However, the new generation of Pioneers, the kuro models, will start rolling out in 28 days, with the elite models coming in September. They will revolutionize black level, contrast ratio and power consumption. The guy who said it's not all about resolution is exactly right. Pioneer has supposedly hit a home run with these kuro screens. It's supposedly a huge advance in quality even compared to previous generations of plasma advances.

Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                                                      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                                                      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                                                      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                                                      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• deke
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2005

I'm currently having the same debate (Pioneer vs Panasonic). According to The Perfect Vision (see review for the 4270HD) the Pioneer is able to accept 1080P. That might not be important now, but why not get what provides the most upside?

Comment

• razzbo56
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2006

O.K. so I waited and changed the order to the new Pioneer PDP-5080 HD. I hope it lives up to all the hype. It will be in next friday. I can't wait to get it setup. :T

Comment

• deke
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2005
                                                                            • 107

I'm really behind... I thought the latest model was the PDP-5070 and 71

Comment

• razzbo56
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 25

#39
                                                                              It was. The PDP-5080 HD is the new Kuro model. Go to the pioneer website and take a look. They are just now coming out,with the Elite models coming in September I think.I pre-ordered it from Invision at a shipped price of $2649.00. :B

Comment

• gostan
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2003
                                                                                • 445

#40
                                                                                It was. The PDP-5080 HD is the new Kuro model. Go to the pioneer website and take a look. They are just now coming out,with the Elite models coming in September I think.I pre-ordered it from Invision at a shipped price of $2649.00. :B
                                                                                You are going to love your new 5080HD!! I saw the 5080HD yesterday at BB. Great picture and wonderful blacks. The blacks were definitely superior (deeper and blacker) than those on the 58 inch 1080P Panasonic PZ700 located on the wall directly below the Pioneer. (Think that placement was done by error?)

When I first looked at the Panasonic I thought the blacks were very deep. But when I looked at the Pioneer I could see that the blacks were superior. But, if the Pioneer were not sitting in front of me I could be extremely happy with the Panny (and it is a 1080P). I did not have time to check to see if the settings on the Pioneer were tweeked better than those of the Panny.

I think that I will continue to wait for all of the new Pioneer Kuro models to be released over the summer and fall before jumping in for a new display. My 4 year old ISF'ed 50" Sony needs to be replaced, but I have been tweeking/upgrading the balance of my electronics and speakers waiting for the perfect new monitor since a new monitor purchase once every 5 years is the most that I can rationalize in my household.
                                                                                Stan

Comment

• deke
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2005
                                                                                  • 107

#41
                                                                                  Every 5 years... I have trouble justifying every 10! What's the Kuro designation?

Comment

• gostan
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2003
                                                                                    • 445

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by deke
                                                                                    Every 5 years... I have trouble justifying every 10! What's the Kuro designation?
                                                                                    Kuro is Black in Japanese. It is the black levels of the new Pioneers that is hyped to set them apart from their competitors: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/lcd-kille...001-258771.php
                                                                                    Stan

Comment

• peterS
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2005
                                                                                      • 1038

#43
                                                                                      kuro's look good notable improvement over last year but nothing mind blowing
                                                                                      definite #1 pic for 720p
                                                                                      would be nice if an alternative display method finally materialized- one that didnt draw 10-20A....

a panasonic i saw looked like an old lcd the contrast was so bad
                                                                                      seriously i had to check.... might have been a 1080p model but next to the other plasmas looked baaad

Comment

• deke
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2005
                                                                                        • 107

#44
                                                                                        Are the Kuro's worth $500 more than the 70 series?

Comment

• peterS
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2005
                                                                                          • 1038

#45
                                                                                          imo yes

i felt the 70 series was a regression from the prior year's model

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"