Is it worth considering a projector for a 50 inch screen size?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Is it worth considering a projector for a 50 inch screen size?

Last weekend, I had the chance to play around with a front projector (my wife brought home a projector from work). It wasn't a great one (DELL 2300MP, I think the model number was). It had rather pronounced rainbow effect (I don't usually notice them on RPTVs) but not a bad picture otherwise for a quick setup.

My room's restrictions are such that I cannot accommodate a larger screen than about 50 inches (owing to seating arrangements and room size), so normally my room would not be a front projector candidate. However, it occurs to me that I can get HD projection and a screen for a good price. Is it worth considering, given my small screen and room restriction?
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I don't know. Frankly, for 50" or so I'd stick with a tv, especially if you will be watching a lot of tv. My projectors are strictly for movie watching. Lamps are just too damn expensive. And to get that really big screen experience, I feel you have to have at least an 80" wide screen or larger. But this is just my opinion. It's really a decision only you can make.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I agree with George. The only reason I'd get a projector is if you expect your situtation to change, meaning that you'd get the opportunity down the road to have a larger screen somewhere/get a dedicated room.
      Danish

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I appreciate your comments and I will likely go with a TV. The reason I was considering a projector, though, was A) there are now some well-reviewed projectors in the 1000$ range with 1280x720 resolution, B) it would allow me to have a larger screen than my 32 inch SDTV, C) would allow me to enjoy better movie image now at a price I could afford and let me delay a new tv purchase (I'd like a 50 inch 1080p plasma from a reputable company, but they are not yet affordable--2 years or so and they will be). If I went the projector route, I would have the screen drop down just in front of the TV (that's why 50 inches is the max size I can accommodate--maybe 55 inches) and I would only use it for movies (SD DVD and perhaps, HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray, though I'll likely wait on those). I would continue to watch TV on the 32 inch as the supply of HD is not yet enough to warrant the cost increase in my cable subscription. Also, it was my impression that a projector at 720p on that small a screen would provide a sharper picture. The room I have is going to be the HT room for a long time (and it is optimized for music playback anyway), so a larger screen really isn't in the cards. I've considered a 50 inch RPTV but everyone I've tried (about six different ones) has the "hourglass" shape for 4:3 movies and I find that annoying. My understanding is the lack of a curved mirror with a front projector would prevent that problem.

Essentially, I'm considering this as a possible intermediate step that will make movie watching more of an "experience" than it is now (on my TV, when I engage the 16:9 mode, I get a very nice, but small, 29 inch widescreen image--I have to believe that a 50 inch image, even if it isn't the "immersive" size that is ideal, would be a step up). The other problem I have solve, should I go this route, is finding a projector that can put up a 46-50 inch image from a short distance, as my primary viewing seat would only be about 7 feet away and the projector would have to be about 5 feet (max) from the screen on a table (a ceiling mount is possible, as I have a support beam right behind the chair overhead that could easily hold the unit--the bottom is about 81 inches from the floor and it would be about 8 feet from the screen. However, from my limited use of projectors in classrooms, I'm not sure I could get a centred picture on a small screen at that height and distance with the projector). I could pull the seat back about 6-10 inches, but that's about as far as I can go.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Yeah, it's not going to be an easy transition to front projection for you because of the limitations you face, but look, a fella should do whatever makes him happy. And you will certianly get a gorgeous picture from any PJ on a 50" screen. Good luck.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I'm still trying to figure out the geometry of the whole setup but it is tempting (if I can find a projector that can do it in my price range).

Given the small size I plan to use, would a less than 720p projector make sense (assuming SDE would be less noticeable, for example)?

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

I've just done some measurements and I can actually accommodate a 65 inch diagonal 16:9 image and mount the projector 8.5 feet away from the screen on the ceiling or 5.5 feet away on a table. Does this make the project more or less feasible, given the other constraints that remain?

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

This is totally feasible, actually, and something I toyed around with some time back (posted about it here ), although I was looking at making it an RP setup.

I would not rule out the idea based on your current situation. You can very likely pick up a nicely performing 720p PJ for much less than a 56 or 60" TV. And at that screen size, the brightness will be so high that ambient light will be much less problematic.

BB

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Ovation,

I too think it's worth doing. I just purchased an HD projector (720p) and 92" screen for @$1,100 with tax. And I'm very satisfied with the picture. I've used it quite a bit in the last 30 days for SDTV, HDTV, XBOX 360 and DVD's.

It replaced a 56" HDTV and... I'm finding it hard to believe I was happy with the smaller screen for so long. I'm not sure if I'll continue to use the projector for general viewing since bulb replacement is spendy. But, I am finding it hard not to use it for all my viewing pleasures.

If bulb cost isn't going to bother you, I say go for it.
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dean McManis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • May 2003

I also agree that at 50" it's not worth it, but at 65" or more it crosses the threshold of being a good choice.
                    And you definitely want to get at least a 720p projector even if you don't have HD programming just yet.
                    The new 720p FPTVs have dropped so much in price that they are usually only a couple hundred dollars more than older, lower resolution models, plus most 720p FPTVs will have newer, better scalers for watching NTSC material, better bulb life, they will be quieter, offer better contrast and black levels, and a smoother looking picture.

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

So far, the only projector I've toyed with in my house was a DLP (a Dell, not the highest rated model for HT use, I know, but it was my wife's office projector) and it had rather severe rainbow effect (I saw flashes of rainbows, randomly distributed across the image, at about a rate of 5/min overall, but in some scenes it was over 10/min). I have little experience with DLP (my TV is a CRT SDTV and my laptop is LCD, obviously), though I've read extensively about them (and all display techs). I know its advantages in blacks and contrasts over LCD, but if those rainbows are going to appear (the image I could get that night was only about 34 inches as the cables from the projector to the player wasn't long enough (had to use the PJ's component cable with some adapter on the end) and the aspect ratio of the PJ was 4:3) and be distracting on a small image, I can only imagine how bad it would be at 60-70 inches. If I'm that "sensitive" to rainbow effect on this model, does it mean that I will see it on most DLP single chip projectors? If so, then LCD is my only alternative. But, on the LCD side, do projectors suffer from the "motion blur" that I've noticed on a number of LCD flat panel TVs?

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Ovation,

You may be in the group that does see them. But to be sure it wasn't just the projector, you may just go to the local BB or CC and check out a few DLP units (RPTV as well). Then you'd know for sure if it is your sensitivity or DLP.

I don't see them on my FPTV.
                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dean McManis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • May 2003

Just keep in mind that older, business-class, DLP projectors are built for doing powerpoint presentations.
                          They are bright, small and light. Those main factors (and cost) are of prime concern of such projectors, not movie watching.

Newer DLP projectors (front and rear) have better scalers, mixed color wheels that spin faster, quieter fans, color calibration, improved contrast/black levels, and many other features that make a HUGE difference for watching movies and HD media at home.

I'd agree that you should not dismiss DLP for worries about rainbows unless you take the opportunity to check out a few higher end HT DLP displays, both front and rear projection.

I'm on my second DLP projector, and rainbows are a non-issue for the majority of people out there, especially with HT projectors.
                          The problem does exist for some people, but it's rare as long as you review good display equipment designed for movie watching. :T

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

I've looked at DLP rear projector TVs in stores long enough to have seen rainbows but did not. However, now that I've seen them in this (admittedly low-performance) projector, I wonder if I've not "made myself sensitive" without intending it (much like once someone points out a background noise you never noticed before, you now can't ignore it). I will try to look at some more DLP TVs "post-projector" in the next week or so. However, I think price might be the deciding factor, as the Hitachi is quite affordable and I don't think there is a 720p DLP projector within 300 dollars of it. But, by the time I get around to it, maybe the DLPs will be closer in price.

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

I set up my wife's projector again, this time with a (free) 60 x 36 inch dry erase board and while the projector suffered from the same shortcomings as above (rainbows, especially) the sheer size jump (from a 32 inch CRT) made the DVD I watched seem much more like being at the movies. I know a 65 inch diagonal is not much in the front projector world, but in my small space, it looks plenty big. Now to find an inexpensive projector.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • May 2003

If you haven't seen rainbows on DLP displays before, it's most likely just a shortcoming of the business projector that you are trying out.
                                But I certainly understand the effect of focusing on one element or flaw and then noticing it from then on.

Screen size is definitely relative. My 37" monitor looks plenty big for watching movies when viewed from 3'-6 away, and a 65" screen is definitely big when viewed at around 10' away, especially when comparing it to a previous 32" TV from the same distance. :T

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

I haven't noticed them on RPTVs before, so I will go and see some again. As for this projector, you don't have to focus on the rainbows, they jump out. However, besides potential rainbows and price, I think the lens shift feature found on a number of LCD projectors may be necessary, given my placement options in my room. The projector last night was, essentially, in my "seat" while I sat to one side. My understanding is that DLP projectors do not have lens shift capabilities (at least not the inexpensive ones).

A ceiling mount is a possibility, but I intend to put the screen away when not in use and I would rather have the flexibility of not having to worry about how precisely the screen is placed each time I use it.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"