X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armand
    • Nov 2005

RP CRT TV's

A friend mentioned that he was convinced that any HD TV, including RP CRT, look about the same as any microdisplay if it's calibrated. I still think they look dull compared to other technologies. What's the consensus here?

What's the potential resolution of a RP CRT? I thought they were pretty low compared to DLP, LCD and Plasma. I know LCoS has the highest pixel number. Thanks.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

For resolution, they're about the same as your average plasma. They display 1080i natively but max out at about 1280 horizontal lines of resolution (with common 7" guns, less common 9" guns can reproduce full 1920x1080).

However max resolution is far from the only important part of PQ. I'd rather have a quality 1280x720 display than a crappy 1920x1080 display any day if it has better contrast, lower black levels, more accurate colour, greyscale tracking etc.

So having said that, the professional consensus is that a calibrated, quality CRT display will still give you the best PQ of anything out there currently. Newer techs are getting ever closer and displays like Sony's SXRD get you quite close with the added resolution as a bonus but there's no "perfect" display out there, there's only the "best display for the individual situation/client".
    Jason

Comment

• Armand
      • Nov 2005

Thanks aud19. Why do the RP CRT sets always look dull and lacking in brightness? I know that direct view CRT's are still the best, but we're talking a different animal here with RP.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

While they have generally superior contrast ratios their peak light output is lower than a lot of newer techs, particularly LCD's. So while an LCD will look brighter and more vibrant in say a bright retail environment or a brightly lit living room at mid day, in a darker home theater it will actually appear overly bright and the CRT by comparison will have a better PQ due to it's superior contrast ratio and black levels (among other things).

As I said there currently is no "perfect" tech there's only what's best for the situation/client. If the client is going to primarily watch their display in a room with lot's of windows at mid day an LCD or similarly bright display is a better choice for them. Someone with an appropriately dark room (custom HT) however would be better off picking a display with lower peak light output but better contrast/black levels such as CRT, SXRD etc.
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"