X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RandyW
    • Jul 2006

Mitsubishi SL1U Color Problem

Hi Folks,
    I have had this Mitsu SL1-U in HT service for a little over 3 years (now outside the warranty period, naturally). Only about 520 hours on it, 423 on the lamp. Last time I went to use it, the majority of the image had no Red; only Blue and Green. The lower left corner still had some red, and that part of the image looked OK.
    Any thoughts? Is this something that I, a moderately-skilled eclectonics tech could service (drop in a new DLP module, or something?) Maybe the DLP color wheel motor is stuck??
    Same old story, hate to pay factory $60.00 to find out it is probably not worth repair.
    Thank you for your opinions, thoughts, tears, etc...
    Randy
  • draganm
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RandyW
    Hi Folks,I have had this Mitsu SL1-U in HT service for a little over 3 years (now outside the warranty period, naturally). Only about 520 hours on it, 423 on the lamp. Last time I went to use it, the majority of the image had no Red; only Blue and Green. The lower left corner still had some red, and that part of the image looked OK.
    Any thoughts? Is this something that I, a moderately-skilled eclectonics tech could service (drop in a new DLP module, or something?) Maybe the DLP color wheel motor is stuck??Same old story, hate to pay factory $60.00 to find out it is probably not worth repair.Thank you for your opinions, thoughts, tears, etc...
    Randy
    you have a 3-chip LCD machine and there is no color wheel. Your Red chip is dead and your projector is no longer in production. I don't beleive repair is an option at this point but you can try. There has been a rash of posts recently from people who's bulb machine died emmediately after warranty expired. This is not coincidental, it's Engineered to work this way and keeps the production lines rolling. It's why the projector in my HT has no bulbs ,LCD panels, or color wheels.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by draganm
      There has been a rash of posts recently from people who's bulb machine died emmediately after warranty expired. This is not coincidental, it's Engineered to work this way and keeps the production lines rolling.
      That's not true. I once owned a Sony and a Sharp lcd projector. They are from the early 90s and were passed on to my sons. They are both still operating today.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• draganm
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
        That's not true. I once owned a Sony and a Sharp lcd projector. They are from the early 90s and were passed on to my sons. They are both still operating today.
        yeah but this is the mid 2000's, the machines are putting out two or three times as much light and more than double the resolution. When you factor in the tremendous heat generated by a 2000 lumen bulb and the added complexity of the chips the failre rate is much higher. This is like the 3rd post this week asking "help, my DLP/LCD took a dump on me, what should I do"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I don't buy it. There are plenty of digital pjs from 2000 that are still operating.
          And you only hear about the few that have problems out of thousands...millions that are sold.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• sirbogey
            • Mar 2006

I'm little bit confused as well. As you know I've had some very bad experiences with my DLP, which cost me $2,500 couple of years ago. And the more I ask around, people who use their projectors for daily use like me (TV + DVDs) are telling me the same thing. The heat from the bulb is a killer. I don't know if this is a thing from the years 2000 and 2001 or if this is going to continue. People that don't use their pjs that much, don't seem to complain...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by sirbogey
              I'm little bit confused as well. As you know I've had some very bad experiences with my DLP, which cost me $2,500 couple of years ago. And the more I ask around, people who use their projectors for daily use like me (TV + DVDs) are telling me the same thing. The heat from the bulb is a killer. I don't know if this is a thing from the years 2000 and 2001 or if this is going to continue. People that don't use their pjs that much, don't seem to complain...
              Well, I'd have to say that lamp-driven projectors are probably not the way to go if you are going to use them as your tv viewing source. They really are best for watching movies, sporting events, concerts, etc. That way you get a long lifespan out of the lamp as well as the projector itself. My current dlp is an NEC HT1000 and it is going on 4 years old ( now about 1700 hours of use ) without any kind of problem whatever The two projectors that are still in my family ( my sons own them ) are in the 5,000 to 7,000 hours of usage category. If you want a PJ for everyday tv viewing, then I would heartily. recommend a crt. But there are lemons in everything, including crts, so you pays your money and you takes your chances. But honestly, there are many members here, as well as people I know who own lcd or dlp PJs without problems. Most problems I hear of are from lcd projectors after several thousand hours of usage. Apparently new technology in lcd panels will correct this situation.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• draganm
                • Jul 2005

I run a CRT in my custom-built basement HT and don't use it for everyday TV viewing. However I helped a good friend of mine acquire a 1996 Marquee 8500 3 years ago right after I got mine. He has it in his living room and it runs every single night. I estimate about 2 to 4 hours on weekdays and more on weekends.
                This machine had been re-tubed when he got it but the chassis had 40,000 hours on it 8O I remember he was not so happy about that and worried the machine was going to be problematic. Well he hasn't had a single problem to date. As a matter of fact I was down there in Feb. and pulled the lense off the green tube to check for tube wear. There was just the slightest hint of a wear-shadow and the projected image was still perfect.
                I'm not trying to imply they never break down. The machines I've seen needed 1 or 2 modules swapped out because they were run very hard or used improperly, contrast and Brightness set at 100% from pure user ignorance. IF you get a machine that has been checked out by knowledgable tech. they will run for a few more decades with little or no trouble. :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

There is no question that the lifespan of crt is pretty darn long. But beware of using them for games, etc., due to burn-in. If you get a handle on a used crt PJ, be sure it didn't come from a bar or some place where constant images are projected, such as those places you can go to and play a round of golf with a crt PJ as the video source of the course. My son used to service these things and they go through tubes like crazy. He said anything coming from a bar is usually gummed up due to cigarette smoke. So, if you are really serious about crt, just proceed cautiously.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• draganm
                    • Jul 2005

George makes good points, gaming on a CRT is ill advised. Some people do it but make sure it's a game where static tool bars and images can be turned off. Static image burn-in is really the biggest problem with CRT so make sure that from whoever you buy a machine from is willing and able to remove the lenses and allow a pic of the tubes. Slight shadowing is fine, any heavy burns and that tube should should be replaced.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

That's good advice from Draganm.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"