I have questions about a Sony TV? Please assist me?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BKSinAZ
    • Feb 2003

I have questions about a Sony TV? Please assist me?

just went to Circuit City and pretty much decided on getting the Sony 50" Grand WEGA™ SXRD™ Rear Projection HDTV KDS-R50XBR1.

As some of you might know, I had my heart set on a plasma but have been very disappointed with the over all picture quality and refresh rates while watching sports.

Does this Sony TV have a better responce time than a plasma?

Other than mechanics, how would you compare this Sony against a Plasma..your opinions about it's performance?

When did this Sony TV come out? I mean if I buy it now, will a newer version come out in a few months?

Although I am not a professional like most of you, I believe the picture quality of this Sony was better then the best plasma that I have seen so far in a $3000.00 range on cable tv. I will ask you what do you think?
    Last edited by BKSinAZ; 13 May 2006, 23:08 Saturday. Reason: New info
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

IMO, it's a FAR better set than most plasma's. As I mentioned in your other thread I believe Sony's SXRD is the closest thing to CRT picture quality (ie: the best) available from a digital display currently. Plus it has the added benefits of a digital display (generally higher resolution, smaller cabinet etc)

Due note that is likely to be replaced with a newer model in the not too distant future. The most noticeable difference I've heard is that it's supposed to accept a 1080p signal via it's HDMI input on the newer model. (The current model only accepts 1080i) Otherwise if you can get a good price on it it's a great set. The best price I'd heard was around $3500 I believe, which is a fair bit above what your budget was. So if you're getting it for less than $3500 it's likely not a bad buy :T
    Jason

Comment

• BKSinAZ
      • Feb 2003

Found one for $3100.00

I found them at sears for 3100.00 and got the clear approval from the wife!
      If the inputs do not accept 1080p, then why is this tv advertized a 1080p tv?
      Are there additional ways to input 1080p? How?
      When do you think the new ones will be released? One month...a year?

Originally posted by aud19
      IMO, it's a FAR better set than most plasma's. As I mentioned in your other thread I believe Sony's SXRD is the closest thing to CRT picture quality (ie: the best) available from a digital display currently. Plus it has the added benefits of a digital display (generally higher resolution, smaller cabinet etc)

Due note that is likely to be replaced with a newer model in the not too distant future. The most noticeable difference I've heard is that it's supposed to accept a 1080p signal via it's HDMI input on the newer model. (The current model only accepts 1080i) Otherwise if you can get a good price on it it's a great set. The best price I'd heard was around $3500 I believe, which is a fair bit above what your budget was. So if you're getting it for less than $3500 it's likely not a bad buy :T

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by BKSinAZ
        I found them at sears for 3100.00
        If the inputs do not accept 1080p, then why is this tv advertized a 1080p tv?
        Are there additional ways to input 1080p? How?
        When do you think the new ones will be released? One month...a year?
        Well that's still over your budget but a pretty good price on that set, as long as it's not for the floor model.

It is a 1080p display in that it shows a 1080p image on the screen (1920x1080 at I believe 30fps). Everything is upsampled to the displays native 1080p by the set. It will accept a 1080p input via firewire, but not HDMI. The HDMI only accepts 1080i which is then upsampled to 1080p in the set. In reality there should be little difference between properly de-interlaced 1080i and 1080p on a 1080p set anyways. At least as long as the set de-interlaces properly...

From Wikipedia:

1080i film-based content can become true 1080p

The following examples refer to content that is encoded in progressive-scan form during recording or transmission--what would be considered "native" progressive signals. However, where 24 fps film-based material is concerned, a 1080i encoded/transmitted stream can become a true "1080p" signal during playback by deinterlacing to re-combine the split field pairs into their original progressive film-scanned frames. Regarding 24 fps film-source material presented in conventional 1080i60 form, the deinterlacing process that achieves this goal is usually referred to as "3-2 pulldown reversal". The importance of this is that, where film-based content is concerned, all 1080-interlaced signals are potentially 1080p signals given the proper deinterlacing. As long as no additional image-degradation steps were applied during signal mastering (such as excessive vertical-pass filtering), the image from a properly deinterlaced film-source 1080i signal and a native-encoded 1080p signal will look exactly the same. As more and more processors and displays come to market able to apply 3-2 pulldown reversal to film-based 1080i60 signals, the amount of available "1080p" content for viewing expands (encompassing film-based 1080i60 feeds from broadcast HD, cable, and satellite).
        I believe the new sets are due in the summer sometime but ask your sales people. They'll either get a sale now on the current model or have you coming back in a month or two to pay more for the new one :lol:
        Jason

Comment

• BKSinAZ
          • Feb 2003

I did it, with the blessing of my wife!

Hey Aud19, I did it and with the blessing of my wife (makes it much easier 8)) Anyhow, we just called Sears and put in on my card. The Sony should be here in about a week!

Hehe..are you ready for me to bombard you with questions about hooking it up ?

I will start off with a question. I need to probably hook up the satellite dish to one HDMI connection and the DVD to another? Difference between hooking it via HMDI and firewire or component video? Will the component video on the sony support 1080p? I will buy a new dvd cause the one I have is a old sony s-550d and has no fire wire or hmdi out puts. Advice will be gladdly received about hookup options and future dvd player.

Well that's still over your budget but a pretty good price on that set, as long as it's not for the floor model.

It is a 1080p display in that it shows a 1080p image on the screen (1920x1080 at I believe 30fps). Everything is upsampled to the displays native 1080p by the set. It will accept a 1080p input via firewire, but not HDMI. The HDMI only accepts 1080i which is then upsampled to 1080p in the set. In reality there should be little difference between properly de-interlaced 1080i and 1080p on a 1080p set anyways. At least as long as the set de-interlaces properly...

From Wikipedia:

I believe the new sets are due in the summer sometime but ask your sales people. They'll either get a sale now on the current model or have you coming back in a month or two to pay more for the new one :lol:
          Last edited by BKSinAZ; 14 May 2006, 04:09 Sunday.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Congrats! :banana:

I'm not sure about 1080p over component. If the set does accept it, there aren't many (any?) sources that will output a 1080p signal over component so it might not matter :lol:

Otherwise yes HDMI (or if you have any sources that output firewire) would be your best connection, though you can still connect most HD cable/sat boxes over component and get good quality 720p/1080i as well.

As for a DVD player, it depends on what you need/want. The HD-DVD players are out, so that's something to consider. Otherwise if music performance is important to you (good quality CD playback, DVD-A/SACD etc) I've always had hood luck with Denon, Yamaha and Marantz for decent SQ while retaining quality PQ. For even better music playback, look at players from Rotel, Arcam, Parasound etc...thought they'll cost you a LOT more. If you just want one that produces a great upsampled picture, go for the Oppo player, it has top rated PQ and is only about $200 :T
            Jason

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Congrats! :banana:

I'm not sure about 1080p over component. If the set does accept it, there aren't many (any?) sources that will output a 1080p signal over component so it might not matter :lol:

Otherwise yes HDMI (or if you have any sources that output firewire) would be your best connection, though you can still connect most HD cable/sat boxes over component and get good quality 720p/1080i as well.

As for a DVD player, it depends on what you need/want. The HD-DVD players are out, so that's something to consider. Otherwise if music performance is important to you (good quality CD playback, DVD-A/SACD etc) I've always had hood luck with Denon, Yamaha and Marantz for decent SQ while retaining quality PQ. For even better music playback, look at players from Rotel, Arcam, Parasound etc...thought they'll cost you a LOT more. If you just want one that produces a great upsampled picture, go for the Oppo player, it has top rated PQ and is only about $200 :T
              to clarify the only way to get 1080p onto it would be firewire

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Just thought I'd mention I was in a local shop last night and once again was impressed with SXRD :T Still the only digital display that would have any hope in replacing my CRT and was by far the best looking digital set in the store :yesnod:
                Jason

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Oh and FYI the dealer said they weren't expecting replacement models for the SXRD until Aug-Sept.
                  Jason

Comment

• oaqm
                    • Feb 2006

I got
                    Last edited by oaqm; 25 December 2006, 11:41 Monday.

Comment

• MarcoV
                      • Oct 2005

Sony is getting their last allocation of the KDS-R50XBR1 this month with no direct replacement.

A new series of models are due out this summer.There will be 2 new models in the SXRD XBR2 Series.

NO 50”
                      KDSR60XBR2 (replacement for KDSR60XBR1)
                      KDSR70XBR2

Comment

• ChiefKeefe
                        • Jun 2006

I bought the Sony 60" SXRD last December (when the convergence circuitry on my 55" Mitsubishi CRT died). It is by far the best non-CRT picture available in my opinion.

I have HDMI from the DirecTV HD receiver and from the Denon DVD player straight to the TV. I have digital optical from each (DirecTV and DVD) to my receiver for the sound. There is a slight shift on some HD channels between the sound and the picture, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Congrats on choosing the SXRD! It's a great TV (sorry DLP)!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"