X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenjudas
    • Mar 2005

Do I need progressive scan dvd player

Hi all,I am still looking at buying a projector but the more I delve into it, the more questions I have.I have a pretty good dvd player[Harman Kardon] but it doesn't have pro scan.Do most Fp's that come out these days have PS or is it only the dearer ones.Also,I would like to use PS2 and watch sports[not in HD] so is there basic requirements I should be looking for in a FP.I'm guessing that a svga won't deliver the goods.I understand that to watch free to air tv,I will need to get a set top box but I wonder if I need Xga as opposed to svga.Many thanks,Jeff
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Both my dlp and lcd projectors have Faroudga and they do an excellent job so I have never had the need to own a progressive scan player. But it really depends on the projector and the scaler/deinterlacer they are using. And the same can be said for progressive scan dvd players. Best thing to do is try to find a good review of either the PJ or the DVD player you intend to buy and see what they have to say about their scaler/deinterlacer.

As for the type of PJ, 1280 x 720 models are really reasonably priced today so there is no need to settle for anything less than a 720p projector. And later, if you do want to watch HD material, you will have the PJ to do the job properly.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • May 2003

All good points George. HD is definitely the future, and even though you can find SVGA projectors for cheap these days, some 720P units can also be found for under $1500 new, which is amazing to me.

However I'm not sure what the state of HDTV broadcasts are in Australia, or if there is some set standard for PAL HDTV yet.

At least here, there is no price advantage for choosing a interlaced DVD player, with the progressive DVD players so affordable.

Ironically, I'm running my Panasonic PS DVD player in interlaced mode because the Faroudja chip in my projector actually produces a better picture in interlaced mode than progressive.

Even though higher resolution is almost always better, it's not the only factor in choosing a HT projector. Many business-class projectors are designed for brightness over video image/color quality, so they often won't have the black level/contrast or quality internal scaling chips of projectors that were designed with HT use in mind.

So read HT reviews of your potential projector candidates, and try to test different models (if possible) with the different input sources that you will be using with it (DVD, DSS, PC, PS2, etc.).

Comment

• brendon
        • Aug 2004

Hi Green Judas.
        For Australian conditions (ie PAL) a progressive scan DVD is a must if you have a digital display .When I hooked up my Pioneeer DV 667a up to my projector it was initially set to interlaced.Switching to progressive scan gave a very noticable increase in PQ.
        For Australia specific info Digital Broacasting Australia website forums (www.dtvforum.info/index.php?) is good spot.if you look in the FAQ section in the home theater thread you will find a link to a number of pages with explanations of progressive scan.
        Brendon
        Last edited by brendon; 01 March 2006, 07:54 Wednesday.

Comment

• greenjudas
          • Mar 2005

Thanks fella's for your help.Brendon,why is it that for Australia I would need a ps dvd.Is it to do with us having 576 lines as opposed to the US which has 480 or am I on the wrong track.George says with his pro he doesn't need ps as his pro scales fine.

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I use a two year old Hitachi PJtx10 (WVGA) and a Nad T562. PAL Progressive scan makes a big difference with certain material, particularly the end titles which almost seem to shimmer with the progress scan off. Switch it on and the image turns into nice solid letters just as it should be. If buying I would look for it as an important feature.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Mark1Ace1
              • Jun 2005

I think its a matter of personal taste and the end products you are using. I'm currently feeding an interlaced signal from my Denon 3910 via component (this Denon does not offer 480/576i over HDMI) to a Marantz VP12 S4 because the VXP processing is much better than the progressive capabilites of the Denon 3910 via HDMI.

Comment

• greenjudas
                • Mar 2005

Once again,thanks to all for your help.Just last night I purchased a Canon LV S3 at a great price.It is called a multimedia projector but by all accounts,does a pretty good job as a home theatre pro.It does have progressive scan circuitry so I'll just have to see how it goes.Picking up tomorrow.Seems as though it only has vga,s-video or composite and my H/K dvd player has scart,s-video or composite.I presume[hope] that there is a vga to scart cable available.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • May 2003

Congrats on the new projector!

There are some newer PS DVD players with VGA out. But who knows, maybe someone has a Scart conversion box or cable. Beyond the scaling issues, there is definitely a PQ improvement of a VGA, progressive component or DVI connection over S-Video and especially composite connections.

Comment

• greenjudas
                    • Mar 2005

Dean,talking to a few dealers in Aussie and looks as though I might be able to get one.Even though my H/K dvd player doesn't have component inputs,looking at the specs in the manual it says :component video ouputs Y,PR,PB.Maybe I would get component by utilizing the scart and not suffer too many con
                    versions.Hope I am making sense,please let me know if I am not!

BTW, another option is to use the Phillips vcr/dvd combo in the other room which does have component,but I think I would be going backwards,especially soundwise.Whatya reckon?

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Scart and component are not compatible I do not think. In other words, you can't just plug them in interchangably, that's for sure. Scart is the European variation of component video, or video in general, but does not mean it is compatible with component standard. Whether there is a conversion box available, that, I do not know. Great question though. I doubt seriously you could do it with just a cable, but hey, I could be wrong.

Doug
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Mark1Ace1
                        • Jun 2005

You can buy a scart to component cable. Excellent upgrade for those with Foxtel Pay TV in Australia as Foxtel comes with Scart and not component inputs... Drop me an PM or email and I can let you know where you can get one custom made. Or better still, JB Hifi do them off the shelf, give them a try...

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"