X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullitt731
    • Aug 2005

Screen Size Recommendations

In the market for a new video display. My seating is 9 feet away from where the screen would be placed. Any suggestions on screen size? I have around $2,500 to $3,000 to spend. Viewing would be around 75% daily broadcasts and 25% movies. Is this good time to upgrade or should I wait for whats coming in 2006?

Thanks, Ed
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

You can always be waiting for the next great thing... and never have a display! :lol:

Honestly, if you have light control for movies I'd get an "inexpensive" direct view CRT set or smaller ~42" CRT RPTV for daytime viewing and a mid-range 720p LCD projector for movies.

As for screen size, the handy calculator on this site say's between 66"-80" (diagonal) at a 9' viewing distance

Jason

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

Ed,
      My recomendation would be get a 50 inch Sony RPLCD. Or a Samsung DLP. Your price range will fit right in with those TV's I have a 55 inch Sony RPLCD and I sit 11 feet away. I think that it is a perfect size for our application. Mostly HDTV and some DVD's. Probably 1 DVD a week, and the rest are CBS, ABC etc. Hit BB or CC and check out the TV's that are around now days. Lots to choose from in that price range. If you do go with a CRT you will have plenty of money left over for aother AV gear. But there are some Draw backs for getting a CRT just like there are some draw backs for getting a RPLCD as well. You will just have to shop and see.

Good Luck
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• bullitt731
        • Aug 2005

Gentlemen,
        I believe I will have to increase my budget. I checked out a Mitsubishi WD52525 52" rear projection LCD which looked good and they are getting a new Sony KDS R50XBR1 in next week. I know these rear projection TVs have issues as does every other technology. Would there happen to be a thread which addresses these LCD issues? I know people get tired of answering the same basic questions time after time.

Thanks, Ed

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

You could proabably just do a google search as well as searching this section of the forum. I can't think of a specific thread off the top of my head though I do remember there was one a while back that fairly well outlined the +'s and -'s of the different tech's
          Jason

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I believe this is that thread

Jason

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Oh and check out the SED sticky at the top of this section. You may change your mind on getting a "big-dollar" display now....
              Jason

Comment

• bullitt731
                • Aug 2005

I don't think I can wait for this new SED technology until 2010 and I hate buying something of inferior quality just as stop gap measure until then. This is kind of a depressing time to buy a new video unit with so many positive and negative issues to consider and companies all over the board in terms of technology. Is the projector market in the same state of flux, maybe I should keep my Sony and start looking at projectors?

Ed

Comment

• Mitchell
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Snap
                  E But there are some Draw backs for getting a CRT just like there are some draw backs for getting a RPLCD as well. You will just have to shop and see.
                  What are the drawbacks to CRt's?
                  Mitchell

Comment

• bullitt731
                    • Aug 2005

Overall mass and the space they require. I have a 2 year old 32" Sony that weighs a ton and is huge, at least the LCDs are somewhat smaller in depth.

Ed

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by bullitt731
                      I don't think I can wait for this new SED technology until 2010 and I hate buying something of inferior quality just as stop gap measure until then. This is kind of a depressing time to buy a new video unit with so many positive and negative issues to consider and companies all over the board in terms of technology. Is the projector market in the same state of flux, maybe I should keep my Sony and start looking at projectors?

Ed
                      This sounds an awful lot like my first post :lol: Nothing beats a truly BIG screen for that "movie theatre" experience :T

Keep the 32" Sony for watching daytime SD TV, news etc and get a nice projector for any HDTV, DVD's and critical nightime viewing :T Using the 32" Sony will also prolong the life of the PJ by not using it for hours on end

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but all display technologies/methods are in the same state of "flux". Which is good and bad. Bad as it's like trying to hit a moving target Good because you can ususually get 6 month agos "really good" product for like half the price now :T

At the price point you listed your probably looking at a good quality 3 chip 1280x720 LCD or some of the less expensive single chip 1280x720 DLP units. LCD will give you usually better colours but DLP has better black levels. You do have to make sure that DLP "rainbows" are not a problem for you. The best thing to do is visit a dealer who has the two techs. set up side by side and see which qualities and drawbacks you prefer for the $$$

Also, don't worry too much about peak light levels, pretty much any digital display can put out enough light for a pleasing image. Look for resolution, black levels, colour quality, motion artifacts etc first.
                      Jason

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Mitchell
                        What are the drawbacks to CRt's?
                        Prety much, size. That's about it. Burn-in is a small consideration but it is with plasma as well. Besides IMO a properly setup and used CRT or Plasma should have little to no burn-in risk. That and I suppose they take a little maintenance as you have align the guns every 6 months or so :roll: (not a big deal IMO) Besides, with backlit techs you have to replace bulbs : :lol:

Otherwise CRT's still offer the best PQ for the least money. Period. As such I wouldn't really consider it "inferior quality" Bullitt If the size of a CRT RPTV is an issue for you then by all means get one of the other techs or a projector as I stated. However CRT will still get you the best performance and a Mitsubishi or Hitachi set will give you top notch quality :T
                        Jason

Comment

• bullitt731
                          • Aug 2005

Guess I will take a look at the projector forum. With the amount of regular TV we watch, dual video displays may be a good solution if you can get a projector and screen for around 2K.

Thanks, Ed

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

~$2k-$3k should be no problem.

Nick has a good thread here you may want tp peruse

Jason

Comment

• bullitt731
                              • Aug 2005

Thanks I found it right after my last post.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"