X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkR
    • Jan 2005

DVI Question

I have an 'S'video signal from the TV decoder to a commecial model Panasonic PWD6 plasma which has changeable input boards, if I was to update this to a DVI signal will there be a noticeable improvement?
    I would have to buy the DVI terminal board which is not cheap ($300)
    so I am wondering if it will be worth the cost.
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

I have an 'S'video signal from the TV decoder to a commecial model Panasonic PWD6 plasma which has changeable input boards, if I was to update this to a DVI signal will there be a noticeable improvement?
    Yes for 2 reasons:
    1. No more Analog to Digital conversion.
    2. You could with the correct source select a resolution that best matches the resolution of your Plasma.

Upgrading from S-video to Component was a big noticable difference and DVI is even better to these eyes. Some sets the difference between component and DVI is very little though. Then again you are jumping up from S-video and likely not even using Progressive scan either on your dvd player right? Another noticable improvement.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Yes, what Shane said. Both DVI and Component have more color bandwidth than S-Video, which in turn is better than composite. You'll have a more natural and finely detailed picture with DVI or component- will look less like video, more like film (everything else being equal in quality- and good source material, too).
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

yes you'll see an improvement, but by how much is up to you. I believe you'll see an noticeble difference with component and DVI, try to avoid any kind of S-video connection if you can, it's inferior.

Comment

• Snap
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2005

:agree: ditch the S-video.
          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"