X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Goff
    • Feb 2002

Everything old is new again.

Quantum Vision, Inc., has developed what it calls a "Resonant Microcavity Phosphor - Cathode Ray Tube," now dubbed "Quantaphor," with claimed great advances over the standard CRT in resolution, contrast, light output, spectral distribution (with high-energy phosphors), and directivity.

According to Quantum's promotional blurb, this technology "combines traditional light-emitting phosphors, thin film processing, and applied quantum physics to generate a highly directed, monochromatic brilliant beam of light. Our proprietary light source, replaces the diffuse color and randomly scattered light of a standard CRT, with a bright, singularly colored, narrow beam of light.
    Quantum Vision's unique Quantaphor technology utilizes a solid-state thin film stack of microscopic layers forming a phosphor sandwiched by dielectric mirrors. In contrast to a conventional powder phosphor, a thin film phosphor can handle much higher excitation energy without aging. Furthermore, it has excellent heat dissipation properties and lower energy requirements that are advantageous for projection CRTs. The company has developed highly sophisticated, proprietary software that calculates the total light emission for a given thin film design, allowing the company to rapidly optimize the technology for a wide variety of applications."

Here are some of the resulting claims:

OEMs to offer true high definition of two million pixels (1920 x 1080) at very competitive consumer prices to enlarge the big screen TV market. Quantaphor light engines retain the multi-sync capability and huge dynamic video range of projection CRTs while also providing:
    o Significantly longer operational life and reduced image burn-in for any size CRT
    o 10x standard resolution
    o 2x color range
    o 2x brightness
    o Brilliant, consistent, 100% color gamut, unavailable from any other source
    o Very high light flux throughput – telecentric, narrow beam
    o Elimination of image diffusion
    o Cost-competitive with conventional 7" CRT light engines, currently priced well below flat panel and micro-display projection TVs.

You can read more about it at http://www.quantumvision.tv
    Steve Goff
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

Sounds like cool technology. But I've seen so many upcoming cool display technologies that remain theoretical that I've learned to get excited after I see actual products for sale, and their final prices. 8)

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Yup, what Dean just said.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

ditto.

(but I'll be hopeful)
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"