X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

links

Guys the link at the bottom of the page to HTGuide is still pointing to the old site and the redirect on www.clubrotel.com is also pointing to the old site.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Actually the problem is we don't have a "home page" for the site yet, so I just have www.htguide.com point to the redirect page to the forum site.

Doug, you were going to do the home page, weren't you?

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Yes, and I am still going to do something, I've just had no time, and don't see it changing for a while yet. I've so much to do, but just can't seem to get it done. You guys got any ideas for a main page?

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Seems to me you've already done the hard work of creating a "main page" because the main index of forum sections / topics that we already have is a perfectly good "main page" for HT Guide.

The quick, easy and optimal solution is to set the links for the "main page" to point to the main topical index page. In other words, if a link to the "main page" is on an "inner page" like the Club Rotel index page, then have it point back to the main topical index page. If the link is on the main topical index page, and would thus be "pointing to itself", then just remove it (or hide it).

Having a different "main page" with a seemingly different purpose than the forums themselves (the so called "search engine") at the old site just confused a lot of people. I used a bookmark to bypass it, just as I do to bypass the so-called "main page" at every other HT site that has one which isn't the main topical index page. (I'll bet a lot of people do that.)

As is often the case with a lot of things, when accessing a site like this one, "simpler is better". Cute "intro" pages with glitzy moving graphics that "converge" into the mug shots of the owners/admins may be fun to design, but they just get in the way (and waste time) when what you want to do is get onto the forum. Ditto for intro pages that tell, in a thousand words or more, :>) what a great place you are about to enter, or intro pages that make you scroll through a zillion ads and "informational" notices before you get to the actual site entry point.

I suggest that we keep the entry path to HT Guide as uncluttered as possible (the way it is now).

Burke
        Last edited by Burke Strickland; 14 June 2004, 15:02 Monday.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Having a different "main page" with a seemingly different purpose than the forums themselves (the so called "search engine") at the old site just confused a lot of people. I used a bookmark to bypass it, just as I do to bypass the so-called "main page" at every other HT site that has one which isn't the main topical index page. (I'll bet a lot of people do that.)
          Everyone I know does exactly that and I agree with you Burke on your sugestion for the index page. :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"