X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

First sub project

Hi everyone. I finally bought a 12" TC2K and plan on building a sub. This will be in a fairly small box until I finish the basement and can make a proper HT/music room. I'll be using the Buttkicker amp.

Since it's a small sealed box I was thinking of applying some eq, whether that be a 31 band eq, or BFD, or something else. But all of these have balanced outputs which I need to convert to unbalanced. My understanding is the balanced run at a lower voltage so I have to boost the voltage back up so I can get the proper output from my sub? What devices can do this? I've heard good and bad the Cleanbox and as far as I can tell Chuck and Thomas's black box will not do this. What options do I have?
    Last edited by augerpro; 11 August 2007, 21:43 Saturday.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Actually, it's the other way around, balanced runs at higher voltage. The only people who need something like a cleanbox are those who have receivers with really anemic sub outputs. Most receivers/pre-pros work just fine and the cleanbox has its own set of problems so you're better off without it if you don't need it.

Edit: PS, I don't know if you saw ChasW's test of the buttkicker over at AVS but it didn't do too well. It's not really meant to be used as an audio amp.

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Ah. So running the sub out from the pre/pro to say a BFD and then to a the buttkicker input (RCA) I should be ok?

I was following that amp test thread, I'll go check that out.
      ~Brandon 8O
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Just snag an A500 so you can go balanced into balanced.
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• augerpro
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2006

It crossed my mind. But having a small sealed box requires a lot more power than the A500 can muster, no? What else is out there? The EP2500 of course but it has a loud fan I think?

Looks like the buttkicker is up for sale. Bleh.
          ~Brandon 8O
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

Anyone know how accurate TCsounds specs are? I'm modeling the TC2K and it doesn't seem to benefit a whole lot from a large box. In fact a 53l gross volume models nearly as good as anything bigger. I understand the motor force comes into play with small box volumes but does 53l sound ok? Internal dimensions are 13.5" x 13.5" x 17.7" so that is reasonably small box for room.

EDIT: 43l looks ok actually. Hmmmm
            ~Brandon 8O
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Ok at 43.5l gross volume I get a Qtc of .56, F3 of 45.7Hz, and I reach 28mm excursion at 15Hz at 800 watts. Sound like a reasonable set up?
              ~Brandon 8O
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• johnfolsom
                • Jul 2007

If you are really concerned about the balanced to unbalanced connection, you can throw a direct box (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Box?sku=184303 ) backwards in line (run your XLR into the DI and a 1/4" to RCA out the other side) to do the conversion.

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by augerpro
                  Ok at 43.5l gross volume I get a Qtc of .56, F3 of 45.7Hz, and I reach 28mm excursion at 15Hz at 800 watts. Sound like a reasonable set up?
                  Anyone have some advice on the above question?

Also how loud are QSC amps compared to the EP2500? I found this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=245-690
                  The sub is the 4 ohm SVC so this amp bridged should give the max rated wattage. But I've heard the TC2K is capable of taking more than the 800 watts it's rated for so I'm not sure.

BTW anyone know how to get rid of birds in an attic? I can hear them sometimes down by the soffit vents but when I go in the attic I can't see down there to see if there is a nest. :evil:
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

As long as you have EQ and plenty of power, box size isn't that big a deal for a sealed design. Build it as big as you can live with (bigger is better) and EQ it flat. About the fan noise, you can buy a quiet Panaflo 24V fan from Digikey for a few bucks. It's a good mod for either a QSC or a Behringer. If that's not quiet enough, you can quiet it down even more with a resistor mod like Chuck did.

Comment

• Adam321
                      • Jun 2007

The Behringer EP 2500 will give you a lot more headroom than that QSC. The Behringer has about three times the output of that model for about the same cost. You would have to go with a QSC RMX2450 to get equivalent power. As a matter of fact, I think the EP2500 and RMX2450 are clones.

Comment

• augerpro
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2006

Thanks Adam and Dennis! I'll probably go with the EP2500 and do the fan mod. Also I think I'll go with 13.5" x 13.5" x 15" internal for a gross volume of 44.8L.
                        ~Brandon 8O
                        DriverVault
                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• littlesaint
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Adam321
                          The Behringer EP 2500 will give you a lot more headroom than that QSC. The Behringer has about three times the output of that model for about the same cost. You would have to go with a QSC RMX2450 to get equivalent power. As a matter of fact, I think the EP2500 and RMX2450 are clones.
                          The power supply on the EP2500 looks a little thin to put out what they claim. Regardless, bridged into 4 ohms, or even one channel into 4 ohms should be fine, even with some EQ.
                          Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• augerpro
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2006

Good thing I bought my 12" TC2K when I did. TC just raised the price to $699 + shipping 8O The only bummer is I had planned on building stereo subs at some point
                            ~Brandon 8O
                            DriverVault
                            Soma Sonus

Comment

• Adam321
                              • Jun 2007

Good thing I bought my 12" TC2K when I did. TC just raised the price to $699 + shipping 8O The only bummer is I had planned on building stereo subs at some point
                              Holy Cow!!! 8O Have they lost their minds? How do you go from $249.00 to $699.00? Thats almost 200% increase. How can they complete at those prices?

Comment

• Nathan P
                                • Mar 2006

This is all over the car audio forums, TC sent out a bulletin or something saying that they were under charging for their subs based on the sub prices from JL, JBL, and other "high end" manufacturers. It's ludicrous. TC can't afford to charge as much because they aren't as well known to your average consumer! What normal average joe is going to buy a TC when he can get a sub that says JL or JBL or whatever for the same price?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

They were talking about some price increases up to 100% due to materials pricing, but that's pretty wild... a bit more than 100%! Probably some bean counter figured out they were seriously losing money at the current prices.

I was thinking about one of the TC-2000 15", but I think I'll just pass and build something with my Stryke HE-15.

the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Nathan P
                                    • Mar 2006

The problem now is that it leaves a bad taste in most consumers mouths, and the subs aren't that much better (if at all) than the dayton type offerings according to alot of people I've talked to, and they're going to lose a ton of business by pricing themselves out of the market.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                      • Oct 2005

Anyone have some advice on the above question?
                                      The TC2K has very little vas, that is the reason you see little to no advantage to going with a larger box. The greater the vas, the larger the box size needs to be for a given qts.

For an amp, the Nady XA-900 would be a good match for that sub. Musiciansfriend has it on sale once in a while for $149. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Amp?sku=482052 I have a XA-1100 and haven't had a single problem with it in 2 years of use. It's even left my house a couple times for live shows. For a free fan mod, pull the chassis off and wire both fans in series and you'll never hear them.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Nathan P
                                        The problem now is that it leaves a bad taste in most consumers mouths, and the subs aren't that much better (if at all) than the dayton type offerings according to alot of people I've talked to, and they're going to lose a ton of business by pricing themselves out of the market.
                                        DIY is a very small portion of TC's income. In fact, their products weren't even available to DIYers until a couple years ago.

Comment

• Nathan P
                                          • Mar 2006

hmmm, who do they sell to? No one in my area sells them and no one I know had even heard of them I don't think.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                            • Oct 2005

hmmm, who do they sell to? No one in my area sells them and no one I know had even heard of them I don't think.
                                            They are an oem supplier. For instance, SVS used to get all of their drivers from TCsounds.

Sound Splinters are also made by TC.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

My guess is they're attempting to back out of direct sales by bumping up the pricing.

This makes sense, were I SoundSplinter or any of the companies having TC make my OEM drivers, I'd be unhappy trying to compete directly with them.

Also I think TC-Sounds realized what a PIA direct sales are. So the new much higher pricing is designed to eliminate those wanting low cost drivers (which is the bulk of the DIY market).

As an example Adire Audio's DIY direct sales only accounted for 5% of their total business....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2001

I'm not sure if they still do or not, but a little company called Eclipse used to source drivers from TC Sounds.

Comment

• Adam321
                                                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                                                  I'm not sure if they still do or not, but a little company called Eclipse used to source drivers from TC Sounds.
                                                  Eclipse stopped using TCsounds awhile ago.

Comment

• Nathan P
                                                    • Mar 2006

Ah, I didn't realize that TC OEMed for other companies.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2006

Well TC Sounds still owes me a driver I need to call them and complain. I ordered one and it got lost in shipping and they never sent out another one. Getting a little upset with them.

Comment

• augerpro
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2006

Does anyone know the volume displacement of the 12" TC2K? Also I seen it mentioned that port airspeed should be kept under .16 mach (or 55 m/s), does this sound correct? How about group delay?
                                                        Last edited by augerpro; 20 February 2008, 08:48 Wednesday.
                                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                                        DriverVault
                                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"