X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dCraig
    • Jun 2006

Check out My Zaph Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC Floorstanders

Well, I finally got to a point with this new project that I should post some stuff. This was mostly an experiment to see how the Zaph Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC System compares to a Nat-P ahnd some other designs.

I just want to hear the difference.

Ie xpect these to be a little less capable in sound stage, accuracy, and definition. We will see.

Once I finish this, I can get back to assembling my Modula MTM crossovers to compre to the Nat P project I did
    Well, after lurking for many weeks I am now on a building tear and thought I would share some of my grand plans for this speaker. I started the boxes last week and hope to finish soon but here is the story so far. I started this journey looking for a way to DIY clone a set of Totem Forrests. That led me to you guys. ;x( Found

I decided to build this one as a floor standing mini since bookshelf speakers are too dangerous around my two year old. Besdes, floorstanders are sexy!

Click on each image to get a better view. That is Walnut Burl Veneer on top. Will finish the edges of the Top the same way. The sides are Walnut but not Burl. The front is a Curly Maple Veneer.

1" baffle and MDF throughout. I still have to cut the hole for the 2" port. It will have bi-wirable binding posts and as you can see in one picture the back opens up for access.

Actually, the bottom of the speaker is sealed off from the top and will house the crossovers so the volume is not as much as it might appear from the outside. Actual internal volume is the same as Zaph's bookshelf version.

More to come.

Images no longer available

The backs open for easy access to the Crosovers.

Image not available

The sides are also Walnut.

Image not available

Walnut Burl Tops and Curly Maple Fronts. God, I hope this works out alright.

Image not available

Crossovers were relatively simple. The small one is for Low pass.

Image not available

Click image for larger version  Name:	130 Smaller.JPG Views:	824 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	868410
    Last edited by theSven; 27 May 2023, 14:29 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url
  • jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

Very nice. That L15 project is ancient by DIY standards but it has withstood the test of time. Most importantly, the L15's breakup node has not budged over the years, a tribute to Seas consistency. I'm sure you will like the sound and the build will be worth your while.

Nice veneer work so far. The walnut top will add a nice contrast effect. I wish I had the balls to work with burl veneers but the last time I tried was a money wasting disaster.
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Rick Craig
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by jkrutke
      Very nice. That L15 project is ancient by DIY standards but it has withstood the test of time. Most importantly, the L15's breakup node has not budged over the years, a tribute to Seas consistency. I'm sure you will like the sound and the build will be worth your while.

Nice veneer work so far. The walnut top will add a nice contrast effect. I wish I had the balls to work with burl veneers but the last time I tried was a money wasting disaster.

Good to see you post again John.

Comment

• Rolex
        • Mar 2005

Burl is a mess to work with, but the results are nice. Just not sure if it was worth the effort and stress. Attached is my attempt at curly veneer.

dCraig, you're veneer job does look very nice!

Image not available
        Last edited by theSven; 27 May 2023, 14:31 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Evil Twin
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Very handsome workmanship... I'm sure you're going to be pleased listening to and looking at the final results.
          DFAL
          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• dCraig
            • Jun 2006

Thanks, John. This design drew my attention because it looked like an easy build, was not too expensive, and promised good price/perfomance. I am finding that I not only have to hear the design but actually have to hear my version of it before I can internalize the effect of the choies you made in design. These will go into my office or my wife's living room depending on how attached I become.

I usually don't modify people's crossover designs, only the cabinets But, I may eventually use these to play with different crossovers and learn how to tweak the sound.

For now, I suspect they are going to be quite nice with no desgn changes to the crossover. More to come.

Comment

• dCraig
              • Jun 2006

Thanks, ET. I am working my way up to that M8tm and possibly an Avro.

Rolex, that maple looks sweet! I hope mine comes out that nice.

When I bought the burl veneer (on special from Rockler), it was dried out and beginning to dvelop peaks and valleys and it had some voids. I coated it in gliserine mixed in water and sandwiched it between two sheets of kraft paper and clamped it up over night. Came out smooth, flexible and stronger than it went in.

To attatch it I just spread yellow glue on the top of the speaker and on the burl veneer and immediatly clamped them together with high clamping pressure and left them overnight. Came out tight and smooth. I filled the voids with walnut filler and will sand to 600 grit and scrape before pplying the Tung Oil.

The Curly Maple was applied using contact Cement. Went on smooth and tight around corners. The Walnut sides are adhered using the hot glue technique. This always bugs me a little because the edges tend to pull up and you have to make sure it adheres before finishing. My iron keeps getting lots of work.

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

Your woodworking skills are topnotch, I bet you will be satisfied both soundwise and for looks.

Comment

• dCraig
                  • Jun 2006

Auuuugggghhhh!!!!!

CRAPPY ROUTER BITS CAN RUIN A PROJECT AND AN OTHERWISE PERFECT DAY!

So, I was trying to finish the transition from the burl top to the walnut and maple sides and baffle when this happened (see pics below). :E

I wanted to add a maple trim around the top to set off the transition. I had to flush trim it to the rest of the speaker.

Note that the bit ripped out smoe of the burl, cut too deeply into the existing veneer - it turns out the flush trim bit is anything but flush, burned the maple (this was the first time I used the bit), and did not even trim smoothly.

If it don't say CMT or Whiteside or some other big name brand, be carefull with these flush trim bits.

AAUUUGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Ok, now I will go fix it. Ain't speakerbuilding fun?

All image files lost!
                  Last edited by theSven; 27 May 2023, 14:32 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• dCraig
                    • Jun 2006

Finally Finished!

i finally got time to finish these puppies up. Fixed the flaws caused by the router bits.

They sound quite good. When I add in my sub I get close to tat magical feelng you ant that just carries you into the mus. Some odd transients every now and then but I can't tell if it is the recording yet. My wife thinks they re very clear and open. That does not surprise me given the reputation Zaph has but they sound to me much closer to the Natalie-ps that I had imagined they would. Can't yet describe the difference. Going to do some A-B testing :T side by side next week and will post final comments. I will also post some better pictures of the finished set than these. But for now - here you go!

Thanks Zaph. :T

By the way, did you ever get the cabinets for the ZD5 finished? Got pictures?

All image files lost!
                    Last edited by theSven; 27 May 2023, 14:32 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"