X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digital desire
    • Dec 2006

What *exactly* do shorting rings do?

I know they somehow reduce distortion. But thats it. What are they shorting?
    Peter
    Syracuse, N.Y.
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Here's a wikipedia article on the phenomenon this takes advantage of:

The magnetic field generated by the current in the voicecoil modulates the permanent magnetic field of the speaker. The changing field sets up a current in the shorting ring that produces a magnetic field that opposes the changing field. The net effect is that the magnetic flux stays more constant.

As you may know, one of the common sources of distortion is a non-constant magnetic field. As the voicecoil travels through the field, the force exerted for a given current changes. This distorts the output.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

This seems pretty "exact".....

PatentStorm is a database and reference site containing information about current, pending, and expired U.S. and world patents.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• digital desire
        • Dec 2006

Thanks!
        (Very exact!)
        Peter
        Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Feyz
          • Mar 2005

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
            Interesting read, Lars knows his stuff (he is the applicant of this patent)

Comment

• digital desire
              • Dec 2006

Feyz, that link would take me a week to wrap my head around! But it did give me an idea of what exactly a shorting ring looked like.
              Peter
              Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Feyz
                • Mar 2005

I had written that when I was looking at how shorting rings effect voice coil inductance and impedance, as the title implies. So it is not exactly what you are looking for to quickly read on, though it contains what shorting rings do, but in a scattered way. And I have to admit, it was not a good writing for easy reading, besides has grammar errors. Well, you gets what you pay for

In summary, current flowing from the voice coil generates its own magnetic field. This goes through the pole piece and air gap. There is already a magnetic field in the air gap provided by the magnet. Net magnetic field inside the air gap then becomes the sum of the fields from magnet and voice coil current. But linear operation of the speaker requires the magnetic field inside air gap to be constant. (B of BL product, which when current flows on the voice coil, causes the voice coil to move by Lorents force) This causes distortion. Another thing related to this is that, the permeability of the pole piece and other parts of magnetic circuit of the speaker motor gets modulated by the field generated by the voice coil current, which means the inductance of the voice coil gets modulated by voice coil current. Voice coil inductance also is supposed to be constant (for a frequency) for linear operation of the driver. When it gets modulated by current, distortion occurs. The cause of both these distortions is the magnetic field generated by the voice coil current. A shorting ring, which is a single short circuit turn, can be considered as the secondary winding of a transformer that is short circuited. The primary winding is the voice coil. The voice coil current induces a current on the shorting ring, which always has a polarity that generates a magnetic field that opposes the field that induced it. This causes the net magnetic field generated by the voice coil current to reduce, and so BL modulation by current and inductance modulation by current gets reduced, and the distortions caused by these gets reduced.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"