X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davey
    • Jan 2003

Here's a photo of the Extremis sitting next to a RS180:

The difference in size and weight is dramatic.

Davey.

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Davey
      Here's a photo of the Extremis sitting next to a RS180:

The difference in size and weight is dramatic.

Davey.
      Wow, those neodym magnets are really small :E . Jon, I am looking forward to your modification of the 26T tweeters.

Comment

• GrahamT
        • Oct 2004

What are you planning on doing Taco?

Comment

• TacoD
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by GrahamT
          What are you planning on doing Taco?
          A friend of mine has ordered a pair of lpg tweeters. He wants to compare those tweets with his MBQuart tweeters. Those MBQuarts sound nice, but I am a softdome kind of person. I really like the Morel Supreme 110 and Scanspeak 7000. Here in Europe those Supremes cost a fortune, at Madisound they only cost $250 a pair (compared to $500 here in the Netherlands). I would consider those as an alternative for the Seas millenium.

In the near future I will try those Dayton 7" woofers in a 2.5 way in combination with a Vifa XT25. This will be my 3th project with a Cauer filter a la Jon . I will also try this fitler in a 2.5 way Seas Excel W22 with Eton ER4 (a really nice tweeter and the cabinets are almost finished).

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

If money is an issue, consider the 27TDFC as an alternative to the Millenium Excel.

It has a comparable resonant frequency, only slightly higher LF 2nd and 3rd harmonic, and lower higher harmonic distortion -

Click image for larger version

Name:	millenium_27TDC_NL_7k_reversed.gif
Views:	5530
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	841473

This is a comparison of nonlinear distortion using three tones clustered around the nominal test frequency (1 kHz); the red is the performance of the Millenium.

Objectively, the 27TDC and 27TDFC have very, very good measured linear and nonlinear distortion, ESPECIALLY for their price class.

Name:	SEAS_ContendersSS.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	937073

I've got both (that's where the measurements came from), and will be evaluating both. The Milleniums shure are purty, though...
            Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 23:06 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2004

I agree, those graphs look nice, but am I bit sceptic if those "cheaper" tweeters are really as good soundwise. Some tweeters somehow are more natural as others and measure almost the same.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Measure similarly on amplitude, yes. Distortion, that's another matter- which is why I posted this.

A big factor in my opinion, besides the motor design (which doesn't look to be all that special on the 27TDFC, but still works, is the diaphragm. To say that there's more than a little similarity between the two is something of an understatement- same Sonotex, same surround.

But I can also understand pride of ownership, and again, the Millenium is very nice looking and well made with the die cast front panel. But I always self enclose the tweeter, so there's never any backpressure from the midwoofer- so front panel construction (which is pretty stiff even on the 27TDFC) isn't an issue.

~Jon
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Davey
                  • Jan 2003

Jon,

I'm not positive the diaphragm's of those two drivers are as similar as you might think. Maybe there was a design change somewhere along the way to the Millenium because the pair I have (which are a few years old) don't have the same brownish color of those in your photo and the 27TDFC. Also, the surrounds look different and the dome "feels" slightly different when I touch it. Hmmm.

I'm not sure how hard Mark K. (I see 107db at 7khz, but is that a calibrated measurement?) was stressing these drivers when testing, but when I used both tweeters with a 1500Hz fourth-order electrical (active) crossover and cranked up the volume quite high the difference is certainly audible. I think this is obviously the result of the higher Xmax capability the Millenium tweeter has.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

That's good feedback, Davey. Your comments jibe somewhat with Mark's results, because he noted lower 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion when testing at low frequencies- in the 1000-1500 Hz range.

These samples were just bought from Madisound- it's curious that you note a difference in the older Millenium diaphragm from these. I was suprised to see that they were so similar; I even looked at them under a low power microscope, and the weave, material, etc, seems remarkably similar- I would expect some difference possibly in doping and treatment, but perhaps also they came on what they consider a "universal" approach which they make in bulk. Just speculation...

I don't want to tear them down and investigate internally yet, though that would be the next logical thing to do. The older standard Excels have a different color dome, too. Is the Millenium supposed to have a Faraday ring? I don't see anything in the specs about that. Many of the better tweeters with low distortion in the upper end do- because of the voice coil inductance reduction. This is true of my Hales, for example- a much flatter impedance curve than the Millenium's. That may be the only really critical feature missing from the Millenium's. Even without that, they're a great sounding tweeter. I think most of the folks that go gah-gah over the concept of a ribbon tweeter perhaps have never heard the Millenium Excel.

~Jon
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• GrahamT
                      • Oct 2004

Maybe there was a design change somewhere along the way to the Millenium because the pair I have (which are a few years old) don't have the same brownish color of those in your photo and the 27TDFC.
                      Here is a pic of a 27TDFC that has a different coloured diaphragm. Maybe it's just the camera though, I don't know.

Name:	27tdc.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	937087
                      Last edited by theSven; 22 May 2023, 14:05 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

Unless the camera is *really* poor quality, that 27TDFC does look to have a different dome material than what I have (and Jon has, since his look like mine). There is a distinct pattern to the fabric that I do not see, even if the color is off. The shape looks the same. Not sure.

C
                        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Mark K
                          • Feb 2002

A couple of points.

Unless otherwise noted, all distortion measurements are at 106dB at .25m, or, roughly, 94dB@1m. This is calibrated. Twice. The mic is a mitey mic with an original cal file from Joe D'Appolito and the mic/preamp combo was recheck by KimG.

Second. The domes of the 27TDC/TDFC that I have and the millenium look the same. This doesn't mean they are the same. They just look the same.

Third, I don't doubt the Millenium and the 27 sound a bit different at higher levels. I keep meaning to post this page on my main site

What the heck are these nonlinear distortion graphs anyway?

Image not available

The 27TDC and millenium have different distortion patterns. I suspect the millenium sounds a bit more detailed, and does have very good/slightly better 2nd and 3rd products.

Whether the extra low level higher order distortion is a good thing, even though it can sound good, is a separate question.

One of the things I've noted is that almost universally, tweeters regarded as "detailed" have more higher order distortion. It's probably the auditory analog of the distortion that occurs when you "sharpen" an image in photoshop. It looks better from a distance, but if you zoom up, you can see the distortion along the high contrast borders. This could be the equivalent of distortion "brightening up" the transients which are 15-20dB higher and thus, have more nonlinear distortion.

It may sound better under the right conditions. Whether or not you want your loudspeakers to "sharpen" everything is debatable.

Is the perceived detail related to moving mass, transient response, etc. Well, maybe, but probably not. Transient response is a function of frequency response linearity. If a driver has good linearity it will have good transient response, regardless. This is Fourier's doing. John K and Feyz have converted me on this. If people perceive "detail" on a driver that has fair to poor FR linearity, then I'd be willing to wager money that if I test the driver, it will have a fair bit of higher order distortion.

Of course, take all of this for what it's worth. :
                          Last edited by theSven; 22 May 2023, 14:07 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                          www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Paul H
                            • Feb 2004

Thanks Mark, very interesting.

Having run these sort of tests and likely having done a/b listening comparisons, do you have a "favourite tweeter"?

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

I'm curious to hear the answer to that question, too, if there is one! I have suspicions that Mark has measured a lot more drivers than he's listened to - he seems to have turned into the Grand Moff of speaker testing for the DIY community!
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Mark K
                                • Feb 2002

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                I'm curious to hear the answer to that question, too, if there is one! I have suspicions that Mark has measured a lot more drivers than he's listened to - he seems to have turned into the Grand Moff of speaker testing for the DIY community!
                                Absolutely. I can't possibly listen to all these drivers! And I don't think there is a "best driver."

The test difference between many of these drivers are small.

I used to think the OW's and ribbons were the cat's meow. I do think they sound "more detailed" than the high quality 1" domes. But lately I've gravitated towards the well built 1" domes. They sound more "natural." I can't help but wonder if the detail of the smaller domes and ribbons is truely more detail, or just some increased apparent detail.

But, it's hard for me to distinguish between say a 9500, and an Usher 9950. I'm never sure it's the implimentation vs a tweeter difference that is responsible for something I hear, or think I hear.

I think the xt25 is a great driver when used right. The only system I've heard the millenium in, the Orion, sounds fantastic. No tweeter problems there.

My goals for testing aren't really to pick a "best" tweeter. More to highlight certain aspects to allow one to optimally use a driver and to understand, in some small part, why a driver might sound a certain way.

I actually haven't done any extensive listening to the 27 series. I'm working on it, but you know, why build a two way with an RS180 and 27TDC when I know Jon will get to it and he'll do a better job? My only contribution might be a unit that sounds 95% as good as Jon's and has a cheaper xover cost.

Also, part of my rationale for doing these tests is to decide which drivers to work with. I can't possibly build systems with all these drivers. It's much easier to test them, then start designing around the ones that look the most promising.

I've avoided any flat out name calling. While most of the drivers I've tested are at least "good," there are a couple of real dogs buried in here, in my opinion. But I'll avoid explicitly naming them.
                                www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• TacoD
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2004

I'll try those Seas 27TDC tweeters, but before I jump to conclusions, I have to listen first. Thank you for all your measurements Mark, it really helps to relate measurements to what your actually hear.

Jon, sorry if this is asked before, but how much distortion a x-over filter adds to a speaker? I assume the moving parts are the main source for distortion.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

A well designed filter with low DCR air core coils and film caps should add no non-linear distortion and negligible linear distortion (energy storage).

The main sources of non-linearity in drivers are the motor itself (magnetic system and voice coil), the driver suspension, and non-pistonic behavior of the diaphragm.

I myself have been correctly labelled as being quite willing to spend rather large sums on tweeters, so as one of my New Years resolutions I'm trying to investigate and understand the capabilities of the best performing inexpensive tweeters... Mark K has been a big help in that regard, steering me in some very good directions.

Fortunately that's not as much a stretch, as, say, Michael Shumacher trying to figure out what the nicest handling intermediate class Ford rental car is...
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2004

Had you not picked Ford, it would have been a fairly simple task. THere are some *exceptionaly good* vehicles that are ultra cheap, IF you can handle being seen in them. I'm aware of at least one $20k American compact car that went out and beat a whole pile of BMW M3's in a stock class - meaning, sticky tires, otherwise like it came from the factory - and this was a Divisional, so it was unquestionably some of the best drivers in this country in said cars. But it's not a Ford.

And, building stuff that folks without large lumps of change to throw at a speaker that sounds great is always good. That last few % of performance is something that a lot of people won't hear - the significant improvement that is available by carefully picking drivers in lower price categories, when compared to what a lot of people currently use, can be huge. Trust me here - I'm in that group. I'm designing on the shallower side of the price/performance curve where each dollar spent makes a bigger difference. But I've moved from a point where $50 in components (drivers, XO) was about right (for a 2-way) to a point where I don't think twice about dropping three to four times that isn't an issue. More, I'm not sure I would hear. But I'd be curious.

It's not all about the elite golden-eared folks. You get a few of them appreciating your hard work. Or droves of folks sporting fine silver ears in the late evening sun where they look vaguely golden.

C
                                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Well said, Chris.

Well, I mentioned Fords because I wanted to make it a little harder...

What you're getting at is at some of the core to what we've been working on since about 2000- it's why I've spent as much time messing around with 8" two ways as I have, because of the bang for the buck issues regarding overall balance and performance, and the ability to scale the design over a wide range of cost.

One of the guys I've been in contact with through the forum is doing M8ta's also; his cabinets are pretty far along;

Name:	speaker1.jpg
Views:	2470
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	841475

for now, we think we can probably get away with the 27TDFC, but the upgrade to Millenium Excel is possible without a significant crososver change. It's kind of like the original M8 "bookshelf" with the Vifa XT25; you can slide in an SS9800 for nothing more than the price of the tweeters; another $80 per side gets you a worthwhile film and foil cap upgrade. ThomasW didn't think it would be worthwhile, until he heard it.

But you can get most of the basics at the starting point... its fortunate how some of these things have worked out.

~Jon
                                        Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 23:07 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• markrpaulson
                                          • Oct 2004

Thanks for posting the photo, Jon-

I was initially considering the Excel W22 and the SS9800, which would have run ~$800. Fortunately, I came across this forum, and underwent this project when, serendipidously, the Dayton RS225s and the 27TDFCs were being tested--and getting great results. Now we're going to see how much performance Jon can squeeze out of them via crossover design. It somehow seems more exciting to me to go with the underdog drivers. I can always swap out Milleniums down the road if it'll help me sleep at night--until then, considering the total driver cost was <$150, now I can consider some serious crossover components.

Comment

• TacoD
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Feb 2004

Nice cabinets Mark, how long did it take you to build these?

Jon, I always use air-core inducters and MKP caps. But if the value of the inductor is rather large I use a transformer core inductor (don't know if that's the right name for it ...).

Comment

• GrahamT
                                              • Oct 2004

Mark those cabinets look great. You might even get them finished before Jon does. :T :lol:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

Yes, Mark has done a fine job- especially considering he got them to this point in since starting in earnest around the beginning of November, if I remember correctly!

I've spent a lot of time prepping my new old stock rosewood veneer since the beginning of Christmas- softening and flattening it, then drying it out; I haven't finished all of it, but enough that I think it will work and I'm going to start veneering one cabinet soon. Actually, I originally bought Walnut paper backed and solid veneer, and started veneering the sides with that; I finished both cabinets just for consistency. If I was just doing the Walnut, (for which the raw veneer is nice and flat), I'd be all done by now.

But I'm hoping that the rosewood will look nicer when I'm done- (this is something of a gamble for me, as I've worked with Walnut and Oak before, but never rosewood- I did a lot of research to get ready for this.)

Here's a closeup shot of the trimmed side:

Name:	M8taWalSide.jpg
Views:	1795
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	841478

Today is "Mondo Measurement Day"; that's going to include new M8ta measurements, with 27TDFC, probably Millennium Excels, too, to finish design checks. I already have a "provisional" design 27TDFC using scaled impedance data from the Hales measured on the cabinet. Now I just need final measurement data - the idea being a massive data collection effort the next two days, then "digest" it all while at ThomasW's.
                                                Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 23:08 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
                                                  Nice cabinets Mark, how long did it take you to build these?

Jon, I always use air-core inducters and MKP caps. But if the value of the inductor is rather large I use a transformer core inductor (don't know if that's the right name for it ...).
                                                  Yes, we've used laminated steel core inductors in some projects- such as ThomasW's Avo's. On mine, though, being the luddite I am, I used AWG 12 air core inductors. No hysterisis distortion there! Getting an iron core inductor that will really handle 400 watts peak without any distortion is difficult. ThomasW's is partly active crossed over, which makes things a skosh easier!

~Jon
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Jon,

I'm not positive the diaphragm's of those two drivers are as similar as you might think. Maybe there was a design change somewhere along the way to the Millenium because the pair I have (which are a few years old) don't have the same brownish color of those in your photo and the 27TDFC. Also, the surrounds look different and the dome "feels" slightly different when I touch it. Hmmm.

I'm not sure how hard Mark K. (I see 107db at 7khz, but is that a calibrated measurement?) was stressing these drivers when testing, but when I used both tweeters with a 1500Hz fourth-order electrical (active) crossover and cranked up the volume quite high the difference is certainly audible. I think this is obviously the result of the higher Xmax capability the Millenium tweeter has.

Cheers,

Davey.

Interesting thing I noticed today, Davey- doing tests in another room, which has "natural light" flourescents, the diaphragms look more grayish, not brown. The other room where the pictures were taken had halogen lighting- that must be making a difference in the blue spectrum, and how the camera sees them as well as how they look to the naked eye. In the room where I'm testing, they both look gray- and still quite similar.

~Jon
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Davey
                                                      • Jan 2003

Jon,

Yes, I've seen a newer set of Millenium tweeters and the color of those domes look identical to the 27TDFC. I didn't touch 'em though...they weren't mine.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand....I'm trying to do my best Mark K. imitation by looking at the non-linear distortion of the Extremis driver relative to a few others I have. I don't have Praxis, but I'm using SpectraPlus and some shaped bursts I built with Goldwave. (Kind of a poor-man's Praxis setup.) The distortion levels of the Extremis look superior to two others I've checked, but I'm not finished yet. I'll post some further information when I get a chance.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• GrahamT
                                                        • Oct 2004

Thanks Davey. These drivers had so much hype, they better have low distortion. And I hope that the upper end ( at least until 2k) response looks better on future tests.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

I'm sure there's a lot of people in the DIY community that will be happy to see your data, Davey, including me. I did some playing with them last night; though the surround doesn't look so special they will truck on the Xmax! I'm off this week, and testing continues, though not as fast as I'd hoped last Saturday.

I have the LPG26T rebuild done on one tweeter, with some intersting results- I'll post shortly this week, probably Wednesday (tomorrow is travel day to Colorado). I don't think I'd use these tweeters without doing this... folks'll understand why.

~Jon
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• GrahamT
                                                            • Oct 2004

I look forward to seeing the results of the tests and pics of the mods. I'm glad that the mod made an improvement.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Just a few data points

OK, guys, I'm not going to pour more gasoline on the flames over at Madisound. I don't see any need to get in an arguement with folks about what it all means.

Just for those interested, here are some measurements I took Monday, 1 meter as I would use for design, "nearfield" like Davey's, and an impedance curve.

First, the conventional measurement.

Name:	ExtremisMLSSS.jpg
Views:	3827
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	841483

This measurement was made in the same small sealed Woodstyle cabinet I also made RS180 measurements and Peerless 850439; around 18 liters if I remember correctly. The point of the measurements wasn't LF behavior, but overall response from 100 Hz up, for designing the crossover and baffle step (same baffle width as target cabinet). Because of the stand height and gating, there's normall a small dip at 200 Hz on systems measured in this room. Due to the long gating window for LF resonse, there is roughness in the curve due to room reflections. Which you'll have when you listen in a real room. Still, it's a pretty decent response profile on axis at 1 meter.

The roll off due to baffle step seemed a bit less than for most midwoofers.

Name:	ExtremisNFMLSSS.jpg
Views:	5659
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	841484

This measurement was also made in the same enclosure, but at a mic distance similar to Davey's, roughly planar to the surround. Curiously, the driver response seems to slope down about 3-4 dB between 100 Hz and 1 kHz. I do not think this is a measurement error; I think it's how the driver raw resonse works- perhaps a function of it's XBL2 technology and long Xmax? I'm only speculating. Most other midwoofers I measure near field this way are quite flat up to the first cone mode. Note the relatively large nearfield peak at 1.5 kHz. I don't think this is a measurement artefact, because some other drivers, like the M8a, show no sign of this behavior, and have near field and farfield measurements which agree fairly closely. I wonder if there's something else at work, like cone profile?

Last is impedance curve:

Name:	ExtremisZSS.jpg
Views:	4028
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	841485

This agrees pretty closely with Adire's curves. The curious thing about this curve, compared with say, SS SD1 motor drivers like the 7" midwoofers, is how the impedance is has a slow rising slope until about 7-8 kHz, then takes off with a much faster rate of rise. The SS drivers have a near straight line impedance rise. Not that this should make any difference in the range we'll use this driver.
                                                              Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 23:12 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Davey
                                                                • Jan 2003

Jon,

What's that little double-hump on the resonant peak in the impedance trace?

Davey.

Comment

• GrahamT
                                                                  • Oct 2004

Thanks Jon. The far field and impedance graphs do somewhat resemble the Adire ones. I dont see anything too scary there, am I right?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Jon,

What's that little double-hump on the resonant peak in the impedance trace?

Davey.

That's what I wondered, too, Davey, but I was in something of a "production mode", and after I noticed it figured I would go back and investigate later. Later my daughter broke her toe, and also informed me she had an interview she'd been waiting for six months on Thursday, so I had to reschedule her deaparture flight for Denver to Friday from Tuesday (yesterday). So, things didn't quite go as expected on Monday!
                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                    M8ta
                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                    Isiris
                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                    Calliope
                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Thanks Jon. The far field and impedance graphs do somewhat resemble the Adire ones. I dont see anything too scary there, am I right?

I've seen many other drivers with nearfiled behavior like this- including the RS180. OTOH, I've got some that don't exhibit this behavior. HiVi M8a, M6a, for example, track very well on farfield tests and nearfield. These are usually the driver's I've stuck with in hopes of having true pistonic operation in the midrange up to the crossover point.

I think we'll have a clearer picture of the driver behavior after I get one sent to Mark K for ETC tests.

For my main reason buying these, these look very interesting- they are capable of some pretty long throws! I wish the basket rear opening took more advantage of the small magnet- it's not really as open as the first photo's I saw led me to believe. But perhaps that's necessary to have an adequately large spider.

I'll have a nominal crossover design done within a couple of days, I expect- the only thing slowing me down is having several things like this happening in parallel (the two MTM designs, three if you count the high efficiency one, which is a lower priority), and final tweaks on the M8ta, plus posting the LPG26T tweeter rebuild/alignment (coming soon to an HT Guide thread near you!).

~Jon
                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                      M8ta
                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                      Isiris
                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                      Calliope
                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• GrahamT
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh

I'll have a nominal crossover design done within a couple of days, I expect- the only thing slowing me down is having several things like this happening in parallel (the two MTM designs, three if you count the high efficiency one, which is a lower priority), and final tweaks on the M8ta, plus posting the LPG26T tweeter rebuild/alignment (coming soon to an HT Guide thread near you!).

~Jon
                                                                        Thanks Jon, I appreciate it as do the lurkers here, judging by the views.

That is a pretty full plate you have. I have been reading the Madisound threads and I am looking forward to seeing Marks testing results. It's fun to watch the process as we learn more about these drivers.

Comment

• TacoD
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2004
                                                                          • 1080

I am looking forward to your designs!

Comment

• sbolin
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2005

Thanks for the info, Jon, look forward to the designs.

Comment

• GrahamT
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2004
                                                                              • 378

Welcome sbolin,

Are you doing one of Jon's Extremis designs or one of your own?

Comment

• sbolin
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2005
                                                                                • 9

Welcome sbolin,

Are you doing one of Jon's Extremis designs or one of your own?
                                                                                I have my own designs, but want to see what Jon comes up with. I need help with the x-over design, so like to see what others come up with. I am planning on doing a TL design, both MTM and MT using the Extremis. Frankly, the FR plots are scaring me, though. I planned on crossing over around 2.8kHz, but the response is so ragged I am not sure

Comment

• GrahamT
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2004
                                                                                  • 378

I know what you mean. Jon's crossover will be as low as possible, while keeping tweeter excursion and distortion as low as possible. I dont know of anyone else who can get such steep attenuation and this driver appears to need it. I'm confident that he can make these things sound sweet. Frankly, even though the FR is ragged, that is a price I am willing to pay for a 7" stand mount two way that will troll down in the 20s. It will be fun to see what people come up with for this driver.
                                                                                  Last edited by GrahamT; 29 March 2005, 01:24 Tuesday.

Comment

• Mark K
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2002
                                                                                    • 388

I'm looking forward to testing this driver. I'm not so worried about the FR irregularities high, as a low xover makes sense for this driver. It would be a very good candidate for a TL, or ML TL. In Martin's mathcad worksheets, usually a cross sectional area of 2.5-3.5 x Sd works well. It makes for a very large cabinet, say for an 8" driver. So an extremis based 2 way could have a very small footprint and still pump out bass.

It had better have good distortion numbers, since you'll be sacrificing some sensitivity, and the driver is a bit expensive, compared to the RS180. (Two RS180's in jon's mtm are still cheaper than one extremis, so you get better sensitivity at a smaller $$. The extremis only works if it can do as well as two RS180's or better with respect to nonlinear distortion.
                                                                                    www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• GrahamT
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2004
                                                                                      • 378

I'm looking forward to testing this driver.
                                                                                      I'm looking forward to the results. You do some good work my friend. :T

Dan has posted the FR of his design. The Xover is around 3 kHz I believe and it's 1/3 octave smoothed.

Image not available

It is encouraging that he has achieved such a flat response.
                                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 22 May 2023, 14:07 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 15320

Well, as you know, my measurements aren't that smoothed, so they don't look as "pretty", being 1/12 octave resolution, not 1/3.

Anyway, working on that in the test cabinet, it's coming together I think.

Name:	ExtremisLSP6V1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	937088

It's a little hard to compare directly. This plot shows down to over -50 dB from nominal. The HF breakup is pretty well suppressed.

This is NOT the ported optimal cabinet, just my small Woodstyle test box, which was

A) Available and ready to load with the right size hole

B) Not ported, and pretty small - but close to the right size for getting the midrange crossover (nominal 1400) OK.

I'll post more details tomorrow- too tired for now!

~Jon
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 22 May 2023, 14:08 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                                        M8ta
                                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                                        Isiris
                                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                                        Calliope
                                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• GrahamT
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2004
                                                                                          • 378

Looks really good Jon! These are completely different designs I agree. I dont think there is any comparison.
                                                                                          I'm going to start to mod the tweeters today. I'll let you know how it turns out.
                                                                                          Last edited by GrahamT; 01 March 2005, 00:58 Tuesday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 15320

Yeah, 3 kHz is a little high, IMO. The wavefength issues with driver spacing and the lobe in the crossover become kind of problematic for getting good power response- plus, I haven't seen a 7" driver that has good off axis at 3 kHz. It would be interesting to compare the off axis horizontal and vertical plots for the two designs- I think that has a large bearing on the sonic character and transparency in room. But I expect my design will have the disadvantage of more expensive crossover parts.

Note that the tweeter here is down 25 dB at 1 kHz in our design, almost as much as the for the 3 kHz crossover - by 800 Hz or so, the attenuation will be higher than for the 3kHz crossover. :B

I'll have a start an official "Design/construction" thread by tomorrow in the same format as for the MTM; I'll have to fill in the details on the first page as I go along.

Here's the Crossover schematic.

Name:	ExtremisSchm.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	937089

Regarding off axis and power response, this is LspCAD 6 predictions based on driver diameter, spacing and crossover frequency at 15 degree, 30 degree, and 45 degree off axis, plus net power response.

Name:	ExtremisPowerResponse.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	937090

I've had very good agreement between LspCAD and measurements on these parameters in the past. I think you can see how even a 1400 Hz crossover isn't completely optimum- 3kHz would be much worse.

~Jon
                                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 22 May 2023, 14:08 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                                            M8ta
                                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                                            Isiris
                                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                                            Calliope
                                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"