X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Renron
    • Jan 2008

2RCC center channel w/RS28F

I would first like to thank Jim H, and Jed for sharing the details on the design for the ROCKIN' center channel.

I watch Parts Express for sales and I keep builds in mind for the opportunity to purchase at discounted prices.
    I can be patient and it helps pay for the XO. BTW.........I'm cheap and proud of it!

The cabinet is all 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood, left over from my Ardent (by Jon Marsh) build. So little to no cost here........
    Mid chamber is lined with lead for sound deadening (ala Jon Marsh style, thanks Jon)
    Parts Express had both the RS-225 8 and RS-28F on sale recently, scooped them up on sale..........ding!
    Found a pair of Tang Band W4-1337SDF (ferrite magnet NOT the neodymium) cheap ! $50............ding!

I built the sealed box and crossovers according to Jed and Jim's online posts, thank you both VERY much. A gift of time and passion of their Hobby!
    Paying special attention to back beveling the mid woofer baffle, as the ferrite magnet is blocking the rear sound wave by it's engineering. It CAN be done thou.

I change the crossover a little by padding down the tweeter until it sounded correct, to my old worn out ears.

Tek (the Moderator) shared his painting efforts with Glassurit 90 Line waterborne paint for the color base coat. Water borne is the future and it lays down very smooth.
    Dupont clear coat (for cars) was the top coat, sprayed with a Warwick 904 LVLP 1.4 tip.

Color sanded with 2000 grit wet paper, then sanded again with 3000 grit Abralon pad. Buffed with Meguires polish.
    Total time sanding and polishing was about 4 hours. Entire baffle was done by hand to prevent burn through on driver openings.

This is THE best sounding center channel I have ever heard, by far! I've gone into Magnolia (Best Buy's High End Boutique store) to hear their highest priced Center and it sounded thin and anemic in comparison. This Center FILLS my Home Theater with Fullness and Body, clarity of voices is excellent. Lots of dynamics and available punch.

This Thread is just to give a big "Thank You" to Jed and Jim.
    Ron
    Attached Files
    Ardent TS
  • kevinm
    • Jun 2013

Now that's a proper gloss finish! Looks great, Ron!

Comment

• TEK
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Holy shit Ron, thats a nice finish!
      -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Steve Manning
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by TEK
        What he said .......
        Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

That is a beautiful job but, I can't take credit for any part of it. That is a Frodaddy and Jed K. collaboration. I tend to be a collector of designs and I've saved this on on my hard drive but I didn't have anything to do with it.

Again fabulous job!

Jim

Comment

• sdl2112
            • Mar 2006

Great job on the build and gloss black...classic. If I ever built something that professional looking no one would believe I made them.

I don't think any of us would mind if you shared construction pics ...you know...just to make sure you didn't get those from Best Buy or something. :B

Comment

• CraigJ
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by TEK
              What they said, very nice finish Ron!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Now I know who to subcontract any piano black work to- of course, I probably can't afford him, but at least I know who! :B
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Renron
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by TEK
                  Well, I had to prove to you that I knew what I was talking about! LOL.
                  Thanks for the complement, I've seen your work too and it looks just as nice.
                  Steve, that's a nice complement coming from you , your work is perfection too.
                  Kevinm, Thanks it's got 2 coats of BMW black, 2 coats of OLD duPont ChromaClear. The clear was over 10 years old, but had never been opened. Super hard clear coat.
                  SDL2112, I did not take any pictures of the build because it exactly copies Frodaddy's build. My parts are different for cost reasons only.
                  CraigJ, thank you for the nice complement, your an old timer here too!
                  Jim H, your posts are / were some of the impetus and inspiration for my building this Center channel. You have answered many , many questions from others about their builds. Don't be so modest.

Ron
                  Ardent TS

Comment

• Renron
                    • Jan 2008

Oops, double post
                    Ardent TS

Comment

• CraigJ
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Renron
                      CraigJ, your an old timer
                      Ron
                      Wait, did you just call me old?

Comment

• kevinm
                        • Jun 2013

Renron - you're in the states, correct? Where did you source the Glasurit?

Comment

• Renron
                          • Jan 2008

Jon, your the only person on this forum that COULD afford me! LOL.
                          I'd never really tried to do a piano black gloss finish before. I painted a pair of Modula MT (by Jon Marsh) black, didn't have time to sand and polish before they were given as a Christmas gift. Very pretty semi- gloss finish straight off the gun. (spray gun)

CraigJ, em..............
                          I meant you were an old timer on this forum..........Yeah, that's it. Really, I don't know you, and we have never met. No offense meant. ( I did see your smiley face)

KevinM,
                          I scored a HUGE deal from a guy on Fleabay. Check your PM for link.

Ron
                          Ardent TS

Comment

• dar47
                            • Nov 2008

This indicates very well for what the Ardents finish will be. Great job, "you da man baby, you da man". Now that does say how old I am, haha.

Comment

• Renron
                              • Jan 2008

Age has it's privileges! I'm working on some ideas and will test different products before finishing the Ardents.
                              Thanks Dar47.
                              Ron
                              Ardent TS

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"