• Show
Clear All
  • stgdz
    • May 2009

Educate me on what the three components of a crossover do

Caps
    Resistors
    Inductors

Is there a basic design that each of these components can do to a speaker? When reading about the ZDT's zaph said that increasing the resistor on the tweet made it not sound as bright.

So does resitors dampen speakers?

I understand this is an open ended question and the combination of each of these components can affect many different things, but I was more or less curious if there was a general rule when building speakers.
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

Each in isolation do certain things. The collective circuit, though, is what's important. Start reading here may help (it's actually fairly detailed, but it is easy to remember as search terms, and the links at the bottom are the real key):

Notionally, an inductor acts as a low-pass filter, a capacitor acts as a high-pass filter, and the resistor reduces the power that makes it to the speaker. However, since this is AC, rather than DC, you have a LOT of interaction between components (e.g., reactance). Start with a good book or two. That's about where I'm at!
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"