Xovers and speakers: mount apart from eachother?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoDestiny
    • Jan 2009

Xovers and speakers: mount apart from eachother?

Im getting ready to slap my Xovers in my boxes and something I had never thought about... do you want to keep the Xovers at a specific distance or orientation from the speakers, due to the inductors and voice coil? (similar to what was found here... http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm)

Thanx!
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

I've spoken to Fredrik at Duelund about this and was advised that x-over components should be at least a few inches away from driver magnets.
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Evil Twin
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I would second that- while I do create some tightly packed boxes at times, like the NatalieP, the crossovers are located as far as possible from the power structures of the drivers- six inches or more if possible.
      DFAL
      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• NoDestiny
        • Jan 2009

Sounds good, looks like ill have to modify my design a touch... thanx!

Comment

• NoDestiny
          • Jan 2009

One other question... closer to tweeter than woofer when given the option, I would assume?

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

What driver has the smaller magnet?

Comment

• NoDestiny
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Face
              What driver has the smaller magnet?
              Thats far too logical...

Comment

• Speedskater
                • Mar 2009

Doug Self the amplifier designer, has written that one of the best things about bi-amp & bi-wire ideas is that it allows the cross-over components to be spread-out. Cross-talk from the inductors is a bigger problem than many realize.

Comment

• NoDestiny
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Speedskater
                  Doug Self the amplifier designer, has written that one of the best things about bi-amp & bi-wire ideas is that it allows the cross-over components to be spread-out. Cross-talk from the inductors is a bigger problem than many realize.
                  On this latest build, I did seperate out the tweeter and woofer Xovers and got them about 6" further apart... plus made sure orientation was optimized

Comment

• JonP
                    • Apr 2006

I had wondered a while back about driver magnet/frame proximity to crossover inductors, and did some experiments with a lab LCR meter I'm lucky enough to have handy at work.

Long story short... any Ferrous metal (iron, most steels, anything a magnet will stick to) getting close enough to an air core inductor will raise it's inductance, but more than 1.5-2" away had a very minimal influence.

Magnet or non magnet made no difference. Getting something inside the center of the core had the largest influence, then something flat to the windings of the core, and even less effect when off the edge. If you picture how the magnetic field will go thru and around the core, you can predict how much of the field might go into the metal object and change the inductance.

I was a bit surprised that at 2" away in any orientation, there was pretty much no effect, I thought maybe a bit farther would be needed. Good to know, for those smaller box builds!

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

This thread looks like a good place to ask. I was looking at Troel's site again. I notice that he has added caps next to inductors. But, I'm a little confused:

Obbligato cap in copper tube: Reduction in inductance when placed directly in the electromagnetic field of the coil.
                      The measured value is supposed to be 3.97. So, almost a 4% change. Not huge, but that is substantial. But, I'm very confused by the statement, "in copper tube." He also has pics with a cap in an "aluminum tube". Is Troel doing something funky where he puts his caps in copper and aluminum tubes? I was just surprised that there wasn't a 'regular' cap tested.

I'm not planing on building new speakers for a while. I always wonder if I'm getting the last bit of performance out mine. Some things that nag me are whether I'm getting a reduction in my inductors due to the spacing between the mid and woofer:

And now I worry about the caps:

I guess it isn't a big enough worry to make me test it out yet. It is on my list of todos... just if there wasn't so many movies and music.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Face
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ---k---
                        This thread looks like a good place to ask. I was looking at Troel's site again. I notice that he has added caps next to inductors. But, I'm a little confused:

The measured value is supposed to be 3.97. So, almost a 4% change. Not huge, but that is substantial. But, I'm very confused by the statement, "in copper tube." He also has pics with a cap in an "aluminum tube". Is Troel doing something funky where he puts his caps in copper and aluminum tubes? I was just surprised that there wasn't a 'regular' cap tested.
                        Thanks for that link, I didn't know he updated his page.

That's how Obbligato caps come, in copper tubes. Aluminum caps are much more common.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                          • Sep 2009

Ooooh, thanks for the info, guys.
                          -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"