X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CupCak3
    • Oct 2007

Always interested in pics

I'm also interested to Chuck's long term listening impressions.

Comment

• jkrueger
      • Mar 2006

How thick is a hair?

cut my 4X8 sheet today according to the diagram. I am no carpenter, but I ended up with nothing left over. I am glad I just added a run-out table to my table saw. Seriously. If I new I would have nothing left, I would for sure not have tried it. :T :lol: Glueing up the mid chambers while I type. Fun, Fun, Fun.

Comment

• mpotoka
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jkrueger
        Two questions... On the 4X8 cut sheet, have you oversized the baffle to flush trim later?..and...Did you end up adding any extra bracing within the cabinets? I have started this project, and will be picking away at it as fall arrives. Anyone interested in pics?
        I believe I did resize the front baffle sligthly so in the end I could flush trim it with a router bit. I used scraps I had around for bracing--I don't remember if I had anything left from my sheet or not...

Comment

• mpotoka
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jkrueger
          cut my 4X8 sheet today according to the diagram. I am no carpenter, but I ended up with nothing left over. I am glad I just added a run-out table to my table saw. Seriously. If I new I would have nothing left, I would for sure not have tried it. :T :lol: Glueing up the mid chambers while I type. Fun, Fun, Fun.
          Did you catch earlier in the thread where I had mentioned a 2nd piece would be needed for the 2nd mid chamber, as well as doubling up the front baffle (if you were planning on doing so?)

Are you going to be starting (or have you started??) your own build thread?

Comment

• jkrueger
            • Mar 2006

Not my own build thread

I have done most of the cutting. I have glued both mid chambers, and will be doing a major glue up tomorrow. I dadoed in two window style braces. I won't do my own build thread...too much pressure. I just found my table saw out of whack AFTER I did all of the panels. There was some sawdust in the tilt mechanism which would not allow my blade back up to 90* I cut all of the panels at about 88*. When I maxed the blade out at 3 3/8" it was out a 16th at the bottom. It pisses me off, but too big a waste and too big of an expense to start over. Perhaps a bit of extra glue will fill in the cracks. Problem solved. The dadoes and braces are straight. Lets see if I can still glue it up square and true. :x

Comment

• jkrueger
              • Mar 2006

risky?

Has anyone ever sunk all of the driver mounting hardware into their baffle without cutting the driver holes, glued the baffle down, veneered over it, and then made the driver cutouts after the veneer has been applied? Is it possible to do this without being some kind of woodworking savant?

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Use a sharp spiral downcut bit set shallow for your first pass on driver cutouts.

I've also seen people have good luck using a rabbet bit - that requires a perfect through-cut.
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• cjones1344
                  • Nov 2009

I know I'm replying to what is clearly a dead thread, but I'm really liking this speaker design and would love to pull the trigger on it. Wondering if the design was ever finalized and if anyone else has built these though. Also any listening impressions would be appreciated.

Comment

• dawg1161
                    • May 2006

+ one here, I was wondering if this could be laid out as a MTMWW ? for looks only....... These were awesome looking ..............

Comment

• mpotoka
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by cjones1344
                      I know I'm replying to what is clearly a dead thread, but I'm really liking this speaker design and would love to pull the trigger on it. Wondering if the design was ever finalized and if anyone else has built these though. Also any listening impressions would be appreciated.
                      Well the thread certainly hasn't had much activity--but I can assure you the speakers are still alive and kicking. These speakers were brought to the InDIYana event this past summer. Most of the information relating to that event is found in scattered places on the Parts Express forum. A specific thread on the build can be found here:

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

froste had a comment in this thread:
                      Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Which perhaps led him to build these:
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

there was a comment here:

and here: The low in the 400z has been adjusted with the replacement of the inductor on the woofers

Mike's (mpotoka) Dayon WMTMW Silkies, 130s & 200s. Should have some low-end cojones. And they DO. Another great example of just what the little Dayton 5.25" can do. Great summation for such a TALL speaker. And by "tall", I mean 5 feet or so. Feels like there's a bit of a dip around 400hz that makes it feel a little cold, though.

Comment

• mpotoka
                        • Sep 2007

I have been a little bit dead to the speaker building world since that InDIYana event. If you decide to build a pair of these, I am here and able to help you if you have any questions.

Also, I live in Chicago and am always available for a listening session.

Mike

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Yeah, when you loading these things up in your van and bringing them out to the suburbs?

- Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Kidsrapain
                            • Dec 2009

I bet they sound killer in movies,like Pearl Harbor where they fire up the planes,the sound of the engines to me sound better with larger woofers,a depth I can't get with small speakers no matter how I adjust my subs.

Comment

• mpotoka
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ---k---
                              Yeah, when you loading these things up in your van and bringing them out to the suburbs?

I totally forgot about this! Now that I think about it I was waiting until I fixed the crossovers. Now that I have it done lets set something up.

Mike

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

Mike,
                                If you're out there, you got a PM. CJD and Paul are in for Jan 2.
                                - Ryan

Comment

• Blaine
                                  • Jan 2007

final bom?

Originally posted by mpotoka
                                  Ok--Build it with the 4 ohm inductor and pick get a few resistors--.5, 1, 1.5, 2--that you can use yourself to tame down the mids to your taste. My room is big but all hard surfaces everywhere. At the even the room was 8' tall with ceiling tiles and carpet--and about 30 people in the room by the time I auditioned them. Wolf thought the mids were just a little bit hot--its really a personal preference--the joy of DIY.
                                  Hi... just wondering if the diagram and BOM posted is the last/best according to general consensus (ie. the 2 ohm resistor shown is the one to go with). I want my parts express shopping cart to be ready, on the off chance that my wife asks me what I want for my birthday

Comment

• mpotoka
                                    • Sep 2007

Happy birthday!

The bom on post 75 and filter on post 72 are current. After review by cjd and others, I intend on revisiting this design and maybe tweaking a thing or two. Perhaps Chris, Ryan, or Paul could comment on how important any adjustment might be. I can look into it this week provided I can locate my SW files.

Mike

Comment

• Blaine
                                      • Jan 2007

Well if you haven't tweaked them yet, they must be pretty good as is.

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

I missed this when it was posted.

I somewhat hate to comment. I mean, I'm used to my Khans, which are obviously a lot more expensive project. It isn't fair to expect yours to sound the same as mine.

But, I thought they could really use a little tweaking to take a good speaker and make it great. My memory is getting fuzzy though over what adjustments are needed.

You're happy with them. I think many people would be happy with them and could easily rock out to them.
                                        - Ryan

Comment

• Silentj20
                                          • Aug 2007

Don't mean to dig up an old thread, but figured my questions would be better here as this is the most detailed thread for these guys.

How many ohms are the speakers rated at? Wanna know if my receiver will handle it or if I'll need a separate amp.

Also, I noticed some comments about changing it to a WWMTM with the woofers at the bottom. The responses seemed to indicate it would be fine, but never had a conclusive answer. Yay or nay on this config? Thanks,

Brian

Comment

• dawg1161
                                            • May 2006

Ditto on the mtmww design question...... ....It seems like this thread is unfinished ? Mpotoka did a great job...these look so awesome....Was the crossover ever finalized ?
                                            TIA.
                                            John.

Comment

• mpotoka
                                              • Sep 2007

Sorry everyone, I've been out of the loop for awhile. I don't know enough about speaker design to verify that a MTMWW would work without crossover work. I am still using the posted XO, which is the same as heard at InDIYana a couple years ago. I am wrapping up some significant life events this year and hope to get back into some speaker building this next year

Comment

• qcksilvrmsngr
                                                • Apr 2010

I think this is my first post here... But I'm not sure if I made one earlier. It was also my first speaker build.

These are a 3.5 Ohm speaker, but nominally I think they would qualify as a 4. Can your receiver handle it? That's up to the ratings on the back. I use a Sansui AU-D9 that has been recapped and adjusted to really play these speakers, but even its protection circuit will step in when it gets to close to the edge. It's rated at 95W/channel minimum at 8 Ohm, stamped 500W total max on the back. More importantly is rated to handle 4 ohm loads.

These speakers can pull a lot of power, so be warned. These sub into average usage, and for that I pull the Sansui and swap in a cheap Onkyo HT that only drives these speakers when on (no 5.1). It doesn't play them loud, and I don't allow clipping to even begin, but just be careful.

Comment

• mackintire
                                                  • Jan 2009

I read a comment from one of the pro's here on the feasibility of doing this as a mtmww design.

The answer was it "SHOULD" be ok, you should also expect some additional bass reenforcement from the floor boundary being so close. So it may be a bit heavier in the bass department. As far as I am aware no one has built one as a MTMWW to verify the result.

Comment

• fletch
                                                    • Mar 2011

This is my first post on this site, but I've been following this project for quite sometime. I just ordered the crossover parts based on the list you provided, but as I began laying the pieces out according to the schematic, I noticed there was no 10uF cap in the schematic, but there was an extra 12uF. Can you clarify any of this for me? I ordered the 10uF caps, but I happened to have a couple extra 12s on hand and I'd just like to know which to use. Thanks for any help - I'm really anxious to get these built!

Comment

• mpotoka
                                                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by fletch
                                                      This is my first post on this site, but I've been following this project for quite sometime. I just ordered the crossover parts based on the list you provided, but as I began laying the pieces out according to the schematic, I noticed there was no 10uF cap in the schematic, but there was an extra 12uF. Can you clarify any of this for me? I ordered the 10uF caps, but I happened to have a couple extra 12s on hand and I'd just like to know which to use. Thanks for any help - I'm really anxious to get these built!

It has been pointed out to me that the BOM I provided is not accurate--and I apologize for the error on my part. The posted schematic is what I am running and what was heard at the inDIYana a few years ago.

Comment

• fletch
                                                        • Mar 2011

Fantastic, thanks for the quick reply! Just got back from purchasing a nice little Rotel amp to drive these

Comment

• Silentj20
                                                          • Aug 2007

SilentJ20's Classic WMTMW's

Just finished my build, other than the painting which will come at a later date. They sound great!

Edit: Oops, here's the build thread for anyone interested: WMTMW BUILD

Image not available
                                                          Last edited by theSven; 11 August 2023, 22:16 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image link and update url

Comment

• xam198
                                                            • Apr 2012

Hi, a newbie question. I'm trying to do these dayton classic, but, because of the complex design of the box i've choosed to do (curved), i have to do a chamber for the tweeter and medium slightly different in the form (but not in volume). Is this ok with this, since the tweeter and the medium will see the same external width than the original design (in fact i've got do do a trapezoidal chamber) ?
                                                            Thanks

Comment

• mpotoka
                                                              • Sep 2007

Remodeling Time

Greetings,

So I have move a couple times since originally building these, and earlier this year finally moved these back into my living room (basically lived in storage a few years). Due to the space I am currently in I have decided to remodel my pair.

I will be making 2 significant changes to the speakers. I am going to switch them to a MTMWW, I am also going to go from ported to a sealed box. Also, since I will be have them at work to do the woodworking/finishing--I will also re-hash my design process and crossover work, since I now have some different measuring software.

Once I start the work I will post some updates.

Cheers

Comment

• Silentj20
                                                                • Aug 2007

Good to hear you're gonna give them some more time. I'm still very much enjoying the pair I built. I'm actually going to build a third to use it as my center behind my soon-to-be-completed media rooms acoustically transparent screen. I also asked you before about making them sealed to match the subs I plan on building. I am very much looking forward to your improvements. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"