X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdl2112
    • Mar 2006

Music server setup help

I posted this also over at Computer Audiophile...now Audiophile Style, looking for advice.

This will in all likelyhood be my first dive into the digital music server/streamer/storage world...so bare with me. Some things are not so obvious to me.

First what I have and what I hope to achieve. My current setup includes a Rega Apollo to NAD M51 via S/PDIF to Adcom GFP-750 to Parasound A21 to my SSA-WG diy speaker on the Mission Possible forum.
    I'm pretty old school and like to keep things simple. So to date I've just been doing the single CD thing. Now my speaker are nearly finished it's time to put all my music and new (including HD formats) in the digital storage world. Honestly my budget started like $2500 but that surely won't happen. The two server/steamers I'm considering now are the Innuos Zenith Mk3 and the Auralic Aries G2.

I haven't seen a direct comparison. so if anyone here has experience that would be helpful. I'm an engineer but really don't like messing with computers. I have an aging Windows 7 machine. Don't really want to mess with it at this time. I could use some advice on adding a NAS storage. I don't even have a network set up really. I have a decent (Spectrum Cable) router with wifi.

Anyway priority is sound quality, second is ease of use, third is cost. I like the Innuos for the apparent ease of use but my gut feel is that the Aries G2 is the better audio player. I have read the reviews here and in The-ear, 6moon....etc and all I could find through Google. I have some concern how each will play with the NAD M51. The USB only worries me a little with the Zenith.

I'm trying to think long term which is better. Setting up the NAS and coming to a standard for file structure, organization, metadata....all sounds painful to me but I'm sure a year from now I'll be like, that's not so bad...I hope :-). On the other hand just let the Zenith take care of most of it.

I plan to try Roon, test the Parametric EQ in both (also the G2 now includes a PEQ).

So is there a good tutorial on setting up a network with a NAS for my purposes. Help with your experiences. Basically I'm starting from scratch...so how would you veteran's proceed if you started ripping music now.

I'm starting to ramble. I'm sure I have left stuff out but this is a start. I look forward to your comments.

-Scott
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"