X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Clay Aiken

Okay, I'll admit it-- my wife and I got caught up in this past season of American Idol. We had our favorites, which even early on were Clay and Ruben. But in the end, we voted for Clay... over... and over... and over...

Clay has already released his first album, which he asked be titled "Measure of a Man". Apparently, the music studio people didn't know how to market a guy like him, looking more like Opie than a rock star. He has commendably told songwriters and company executives that he will not engage in the typical business of trying to sell sex, and wants to keep his music and image clean. I respect that.

For what it's worth, "Measure of a Man" has been the #1 best selling album in recent weeks, so America seems to like what they see and hear in Clay.

Initially, I was hoping that Aiken's first album would contain some of the remade songs that he voiced during the American Idol competition, such as his fantastic rendition of Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters". But all the songs on his album are new works, written by others for Clay. Most of the songs are very mainstream, vanilla in both tone and words. Clay's voice sings each of them with poise and ease. On stage, you could hear a bit of natural nervousness in his voice in sustained high notes, but these are gone in the studio recordings. (certainly understandable)

I found myself liking a lot of this album. By far my favorite song is "This is the Night", which he also sung at the conclusion of the American Idol competition, wow-ing viewers worldwide. This song is one to crank up and enjoy the shivers in your spine. Also entertaining is the first song on the album, "Invisible", which he has been singing on various performances like The Tonight Show.

While this isn't a colossal music album, it's solid, and one Clay fans should enjoy. I'll be following Clay's career in the future, and hope that he works diligently with songwriters to make his next album fantastic and something that has even more mass appeal.

Overall, I give this album :4:

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"