X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Obscure titles from the 60s

Had a bit of a break a few nights ago, so managed to tackle a couple of unwatched movies from the (too large) pile.

First up: Seconds (1966) by John Frankenheimer. Considered part of his unofficial "paranoia trilogy" (along with The Manchurian Candidate (1962) and Seven Days in May (1964), it stars Rock Hudson in what is probably his most "off the tracks" performance when compared to his body of work. It is definitely a sixties movie. The plot is...unusual. But it's not really a plot driven story, but rather a character study that asks viewers to reflect on the question "Even with a clean break from your life and all its expectations and responsibilities, can you really "make a fresh start"?" My copy is a Criterion Blu-ray, with many extras (haven't seen/heard them all yet) and an essay that examines the film's themes and place within Frankenheimer's body of work in the sixties. Frankenheimer never made a movie that wasn't trying to make some sort of statement (some more successfully than others) and his statements rarely left people indifferent. However, regardless of what one might think of the arguments Frankenheimer wanted to make about something, his skill as a filmmaker was undeniable. Worth a viewing, though may not be to all tastes (a bit arty as a film, and certainly a cultural artefact of its time).

Followed by: The Quiller Memorandum (1966). This is a more traditional spy thriller, though, in many ways, a bit of a "this isn't a Bond movie" kind of spy thriller. Starring George Segal in the main role (an unexpected transformation of the character from British to American to readers of the novel series upon which the film is based), it also has some supporting performances from Alec Guinness and Max von Sydow that add heft to the film. Shot on location in West Berlin (and beautifully so), it too is a cultural artefact of its day. Harold Pinter wrote the screenplay, which elevates the dialogue to a more interesting level than typical of such films. And the female lead (there's always one in this era's spy movies) is played by the astonishing Senta Berger (google her images--I was astonished, at any rate). I'd rate it good, not great, but worth a viewing for its visuals of West Berlin in the sixties, at least (and for Senta Berger ). My copy is a Twilight Time Blu-ray, with an isolated score track (by frequent Bond composer John Barry), along with a short essay by film historian Julie Kirgo (who apparently has a crush on the young George Segal).

I found the pair of films an interesting way to visit the sixties from a perspective that is off the beaten path of the typical cultural elements of the sixties that most people think of for film. Neither of these films will become cultural icons, but that makes them more, rather than less, interesting.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

If you want to break up the drama of the sixties without losing the content, One, Two, Three (1961) with Jimmy Cagney is a riot. Billy Wilder outdid himself with this one.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I'll be sure to look that one up.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

That movie was my first exposure to James Cagney's acting, as opposed to his persona. I'll add that if you get to watch it, bathroom and refreshment breaks require the pause button. It's non-stop from start to finish. A good reminder that funny doesn't require profanity, overt sexuality or scatology. It reminds of my youth-and my current age. LOL
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"