• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GiorgoTagliari
    • Mar 2020

Rotel RSP-1098 no subwoofer out

NOTE: 06 April 2020, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and also to the Rotel brand. I already had one system running with Marantz and another one with the Anthem MRX-500.

Recently I had the opportunity to buy a Rotel RSP-1098 and other equipments from some that was moving to a smaller place, so I decide to give Rotel a try.

I hooked up everything, it works as it should but I noticed that nothing was happen with the sub. I check if it as set to YES in the 1098 system and it was, the speakers were set to small and the crossover set to 80hz, but no sound yet. The processor has two sub outs but none of them are outputing anykind of sound, not even nice or hum.

I was using a DD 5.1 source to test, the signal was arriving in the processor using the optical cable. I decided to try the MULTI-IN analog inputs and the problem continues, no sub out even when I connect one RCA cable in the SUBWOOFER IN.

As I live in a small city and in a country were Rotel it's not very popular, I decided to open the processor to do a visual inspection, I found that on 35v330uf capacitor in the power board seems to be with problems (leakeage) but all other parts looks ok.

I have the service manual but I am not some one with experience in this kind of thing.

Some one has any idea of what could happening?

Thanks!

P. S. 1: I also have a Rotel RMB-1077 (class D ICEPower 250ASP and 250A) where none of the channels works and also don't make any kind o noise. It turns on, the protection light stays off, but no sound at all.

P. S. 2: Sorry about my English, I live in Brazil.
    Last edited by GiorgoTagliari; 06 April 2020, 11:04 Monday. Reason: Solved
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

welcome, Giorgo!

your english is excellent!

some questions about your system:

is your sub powered?

from the manual i see:

main menu
    speaker setup
    subwoofer set to 'YES"

LINK to Users Manual
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• GiorgoTagliari
      • Mar 2020

Hi, Bill.

Thank you for help.

I yes, both of my subwoofers are powered.

Turns out that after my post I decided to dig in into the processor, removing the covers and the audio PCB. Luckly I was able to visually found the problem and the solution was very simple! For an unkown reason the copper track between the subwoofers RCA connections and the reed relay was broken, this way the audio signal wasn't able to arrive at the RCA pre-outs and why the pre-outs didn't make any kind of noise, even i the source was digital, MULTI-IN, stereo analog/bypass.

I end up solving the problem by soldering a 30mm wire between the broken PCB connections, making the original audio path work as it should.

Now I am enjoying the processor with a Rotel RMB-1066 amplifier. At a first moment I thought that 70 watts per channel will be too little, but seems that REAL 70 watts is more than enough for my home theater space.

I also was curious about how the system will perfom without the Audyssey MultEQ XT that I have on my Marantz SR-5011, turns out I didn't miss anything (except for the newers audio formats that the Marantz support), sound with the Rotel is very clean, easy to listen, powerfull and the music reproduction is just AMAZING! I also have an Anthem MRX-500 that is surprisingly good, but I am unable to make A/B test between it and the Rotel.

P. S.: On the shooting scenes of John Wick 3 (near 1:40:00 of the movie) I was blowned away by the impact, realism and power of the shoots, can wait to watch more movies on it.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"