X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
    Parametric equalization with multiple individual filters of different types, full-range from maybe 10 Hz to 25 kHz
    This can already be achieved by adding a few DEQXs :B

IMHO Parasound needs to focus on the missing "make it or break it" features like digital audio over HDMI and digital outputs. Without those, there is no future for the product.

I say forget about the equalization for now. (BTW, the Titan v7 flyer talks about the v7 product being "ready" for eqalization. My best guess is that this means it has sufficient computational power/hardware, but they haven't written the software yet).

Peter
    Last edited by Chris D; 17 September 2009, 02:26 Thursday.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Ah, don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY agree, that we're approaching a crossroads where some very important upgrades are becoming necessary.

I've just always taken the approach when brainstorming, such as this thread, to "shoot for the stars" and let all requested ideas come out. After that, we can focus on what's important and what's not.

Sure, you can add many features with external units. (heck, at one time, people had to use external DTS processors) But why not dream big and ask if things can be added to the processor itself. If not, or if it'd be too costly/bulky/troublesome/whatever, then so be it. But I'd hate not to ask and then find out later down the road, "oh, sure, we could have done that no problem. Why didn't you just ask?"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• kfr01
        • Jan 2006

I agree 100% with the need for digital outs. When I move to a HT system, I'm going to want to do some room correction and crossover with DEQX.

Peter: are you aware of any pre/pros other than meridian that offer this feature?
        Karl
        My Chain: PC Audio (EAC + FLAC) --> USB --> PS Audio Digital Link III USB DAC --> Exodus XLR's -->
        Parasound Halo P3 --> Exodus XLR's --> Parasound HCA3500 --> Custom Exodus Audio 2641 Speakers

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by kfr01
          Peter: are you aware of any pre/pros other than meridian that offer this feature?
          Yes. Theta Digital and Goldmund preamps also offer digital outputs.

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Here's my updated PERSONAL wish list for Parasound, based on updates and new products that Parasound has released. No particular order. Again, in these types of discussions I find it beneficial to dream BIG and brainstorm perfect solutions, with the direction that the industry needs to go. If compromises need to be made in reality, so be it. But if you don't ask, you never know what you might have missed out on if you had.

1. High-end Parasound DVD player, preferably in the Halo line. At this point, I'd like it to be a TRULY universal disc player capable of playing all formats that will be available at the end of 2006. This includes, but isn't limited to:
            - CD
            - HDCD
            - MP3 (not for me, but others find it useful)
            - DVD
            - DVD +/- R
            - DVD +/- RW
            - DIVX
            - DVD-A
            - SACD
            - WMA
            - WMVHD (Windows Media Video High Def, for those who don't know)
            - HD-DVD
            - Blu-Ray
            I want this to be capable of upscaling standard-def video to 720p, 1080i, and 1080p, including other custom resolutions. High-def video would need to be output at the native resolution without any interference. Simultaneous high-def and standard component video output. Auto-sensing for DVD aspect ratio--video would be output at native ratio, not stretched or squeezed. ALL high-rez multichannel audio formats would need to be passed via a digital connection, preferably HDMI with video. For connectors, as a minimum I would need to have HDMI and component video with BNC. Just to be complete, stereo balanced XLR audio outputs to the C1/C2. I would like multiple bass management features, especially if any high-rez audio is not passed digitally and I'm forced to use 7.1 inputs/outputs. Full speaker level and distance calibration capability, again, especially for 7.1 outputs. RS-232 control, of course. Naturally, region-free would be an added bonus. Some sort of mode to turn off all video processing and outputs for pure audio output. THX Ultra 2 to match the rest of the Halo equipment. Rack-mountable, with the required equipment included with the player (not sold separately)

2. With the release of the Zhd, I want to see capability added to the C1, C2, and 7100 to INPUT and DECODE high-rez audio through HDMI into the C1, C2, and 7100. This would need to include all high-rez audio formats, keeping the signal digital all the way up to decoding and output by the processor. This is not a small thing--this would include the addition of DVD-A, SACD, WMVHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, and anything else included in the new high-def video discs. It would require both a software and hardware upgrade to the controllers.

Since the Zhd adds the capability of HDMI switching, I propose that HDMI be added to the C1/C2/7100 in the rear panel expansion port through the following method: Add TWO HDMI jacks to the controller, one input and one output. Thus, the connection path would be the source sending audio and video out over HDMI to the Zhd, which would switch the source and send it to the C1/C2/7100. The controller would input and decode the HDMI audio. HDMI video would be a straight pass-through to the video display.

3. Z-series CD player
            4. Newer and improved D/A processors for the C1 and C2.
            5. Video transcoding, preferably to be able to output composite video, S-video, and component video inputs all out to HDMI
            6. Ethernet connections (sure, why not have your C1/C2/7100 connect direct to Parasound via the internet?)
            7. Circle Surround processing
            8. MultEq processing (for those don't know, this is a new technology that "replicates" the sweet spot to every seating location in the theater)
            9. Parametric equalization with multiple individual filters of different types, full-range from maybe 10 Hz to 25 kHz
            10. Full use of all 4 programmable channels with 7.1 analog inputs.
            11. The ability to do processing on 7.1 analog inputs OR defeat the processing for straight pass-through. (i.e. if we get HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players in the next few months, we will only be able to connect them via 7.1 analog inputs for the new sound formats, but would not be able to do any processing)
            12. Separate cross-over settings for different speaker groups. (i.e. an available crossover for mains, center, side surrounds, and rear surrounds)
            13. The ability to choose "No Digital" for any given input. Currently, for a source that I only have analog connections available, I have to choose a digital input for that source that is empty so that it doesn't start playing another source's digital information.
            14. Logic 7. (why not?)
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• eduardw
              • May 2004

I also would like the possibility to see the bitrates of an incoming digital signal. I would great to have some features like the ones on the DEQX Pdc:2.6

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by eduardw
                I also would like the possibility to see the bitrates of an incoming digital signal. I would great to have some features like the ones on the DEQX Pdc:2.6
                Well, FIRST we would like to be able to properly (=digitally) connect the DEQX with the C1/C2. That's really the only thing we need. (If we want the features of the DEQX, then we just buy one - or four :B )

We need digital outputs on the C1/C2 !!!

Peter

Comment

• nbourbaki
                  • Jul 2006

It looks like the Parasound C1/C1 controllers are based on the Vinci Labs Titan platform. A visit to their site provided the following:

The Titan platform, Vinci Lab’s long established, THX-certified audio platform upon which a number of award winning, high-end Pre/Pro’s are based, now will receive the new Generation 7 DSP decoder board, HDMI switching, and Video trans-coding. The Gen7 is a powerful module with 1-3 Motorola DSPs facilitating MIPS intensive processing algorithms and maximum processing power. The board hardware has been designed using the highest quality components facilitating superior audio performance.

Gen 7 is capable of handling all the existing multi-channel formats and processing modes includingolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Discrete 6.1 and THX Ultra 2.

Key features the New Titan include:

192 kHz DAC audio performance
                  • 48-bit resolution for signal processing
                  • 10 output channels including support for overhead and multiple
                  subwoofers
                  • Adjustable DAC output filter for fine-tuning the frequency response
                  and transient response for audiophiles
                  • RS-232 interface for trouble-free software updates to all units
                  • 96 kHz post-processing sound
                  • Patented bass management system, High Dynamic Bass
                  (HDB): enables the surround system to redirect the low frequency
                  signals to the subwoofer. Our system mixes the low
                  frequency content in analog as opposed to digital domain,
                  providing a fuller and truer bass sound
                  • HDB system utilizes analog and digital processing of the DSP
                  module
                  • Natural DSP algorithm (Natural II listening mode) that supports
                  7.1 channels
                  • Lip Synchronization with a range of 0 to 150 ms at 32, 44.1
                  and 48 kHz sampling rates, and from 0 to 65 ms at 96 kHz
                  • Automatic calibration (optional) for individual speaker levels
                  and delays
                  • Component video trans-coding to convert any video signal to highest
                  quality component video signal
                  • HDMI Switching for audio & video (Spring 2005)
                  • Future Room Correction EQ
                  • High Quality Upsampling
                  • New formats with a field replaceable decoder DSP

It looks like the Halcro SSP-100 controller is based on the same platform.

Comment

• Loffen
                    • Oct 2005

At last

[/QUOTE] Personally, I'm 90% certain I'll be adding the D3 to match......that's how committed I am to the platform.[/QUOTE]

I just got my D3 !

I have been waiting a long time for this one,trying other players to find a good CD/DVD combo,the last one was Primare DVD30 and just to give you an idea,The D3 plays better than the Primare DVD30 right out of the box :T .

Still playing it gets better by the hour,this is going to be one of the best money/performance deal ever :B

Espen

C2,A21,A52,P3,D3

Comment

• AVspec
                      • Sep 2005

7.1 Analog inputs

Originally posted by Chris D
                      I'd like to add some recommendations--I've reached the point that these would be useful for me:

- Parametric equalization with multiple individual filters of different types, full-range from maybe 10 Hz to 25 kHz.

- Full use of all 4 programmable channels with 7.1 analog inputs.

- The ability to do processing on 7.1 analog inputs OR defeat the processing for straight pass-through. (i.e. if we get HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players in the next few months, we will only be able to connect them via 7.1 analog inputs for the new sound formats, but would not be able to do any processing)
                      Chris, any update of this wish with the 7.1 analog inputs? I will be getting the Samsung BD-UP5000 and from what I have been reading it does not have speaker setting in it for distance and levels, only size.

Has Parasound addressed 7.1 analog request yet?

Comment

• Loffen
                        • Oct 2005

TrueHD ?

I just got some HD DVD's and most of the uses the new TrueHD format on the audiotracks.
                        I guess that it would not be a big deal for Parasound to make an downloadable upgrade for it ?

By the way has it not been a long time since we have seen an upgrade for the C1/C2 ?

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Ah, unfortunately, the new high-resolution audio tracks contained on HD-DVD and SACD can not be transmitted via legacy digital connections of coaxial or optical, simply because of bitrates. Those connections can't flow the amount of data contained in the audio. So you have to go to something newer and higher, like HDMI, before you even do something like add TrueHD or DTS-MA decoding in the receiver/processor.

Yes, I agree that it's been a while since we saw any updates. (last and only was Feb 2006) I think we're all getting stir-crazy for more.

AVspec, no, nothing new about processing on 7.1 analog inputs. I really doubt this is something that will be added, knowing Parasound. But I could be wrong. I thought, though, that the 7.1 analogs did apply speaker distances and level, though, even if there's no more processing. Am I wrong?
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Loffen
                            • Oct 2005

So what we should be waiting for is a new receiver ?
                            This is what I think is one of Parasounds larges drawbacks,they are to slow when it comes to following the demand in the market.
                            The amps are not a problem,but look at the D3 it should have been out there in 2004 really...
                            To me it looks like they are just sitting there and watching the other guys to see which way they are going instead of taking a chance and put something new on the market.
                            Parasound did hit the bullseye with the Halo series and it just seams strange to me that they do not want to keep a good thing going,other companies comes with a new product release atleast every two years.

Just look here in the club,the guys are changing stuff all the time and what do they do if the Brand they have does not have what they want ?
                            They change Brand.

And that Parasound, is the same as loosing customers.
                            Last edited by Loffen; 18 October 2007, 17:41 Thursday.

Comment

• AVspec
                              • Sep 2005

Could not agree more!!!

Originally posted by Loffen
                              So what we should be waiting for is a new receiver ?
                              This is what I think is one of Parasounds larges drawbacks,they are to slow when it comes to following the demand in the market.
                              The amps are not a problem,but look at the D3 it should have been out there in 2004 really...
                              To me it looks like they are just sitting there and watching the other guys to see which way they are going instead of taking a chance and put something new on the market.
                              Parasound did hit the bullseye with the Halo series and it just seams strange to me that they do not want to keep a good thing going,other companies comes with a new product release atleast every two years.

Just look here in the club,the guys are changing stuff all the time and what do they do if the Brand they have does not have what they want ?
                              They change Brand.

And that Parasound, is the same as loosing customers.

I have to agree... there has been but one firmware update released for my C2. I had Rotel and they always came out with firmware updates (still do) for adding features to their products.

I love the sound of my C2 and I really like the custom channels but if they are done supporting the product then I am done supporting the manufacture and I will start looking at another Pre/Pro.... most likely a Rotel.

I can see why other are jumping ship.... :Z

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Let's have 2-way modules created for the new Parasound processors. I want them for Universal Remote Control products, others want them for Pronto.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Vince Helm
                                  • Mar 2006

I might replace my C2 with the P7. I would like to see a 150W x 7ch amp in the Halo line built into the A51 size chassis at about $3,000.00.

Vince

Comment

• blownrx7
                                    • Dec 2004

Room Correction

Please add automated room correction a la Anthem AVM series.
                                    Geez, you can even upgrade the Anthem AVM20 to AVM40/50 and then can add the Room Correction to it.
                                    Weren't we promised upgradeability???

Comment

• Vince Helm
                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by blownrx7
                                      Weren't we promised upgradeability???
                                      Hey, let's don't go down that road...please. Buy it as it is and live with it as it is. Then buy the new one when it comes out.
                                      Vince :lol:

Comment

• HDBLU
                                        • Jul 2008

A21 for me
                                        2ch Setup
                                        Krix Neupohonix
                                        Musical Fidelity M6i
                                        Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                                        Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                                        MIT

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

New thread started for a "Wish List" input for the upcoming B3 Parasound Blu-Ray player. Click here:

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"