X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Parasound Wish List

Parasound Wish List

This is a combination of the entries in the Wish List as started by smalone and my own wishes. Also I make a comparison to the Rotel 1098, which I also had before I got the C2.

The original wish list is here

Please post other suggestions here. Given that the Parasound staff occasionally checks on user discussions around the internet, (especially here in the only Club Parasound!) posting desires here lets the company know what you would like to see for new products and upgrades from Parasound!

1. C1 and C2

Wish list for the current C1 and C2. This does not include hardware upgrades that are not possible on these units (like more outputs or something)

1.1 Extended bass management
    [*]Seperate crossovers for different speaker groups. E.g. for the fronts, side surrounds, back surrounds and center. The Rotel 1098 does have this![*]Seperate speaker size settings for processing modes. E.g. Large fronts and no subwoofer for Stereo PCM, but Small fronts and subwoofer for Dolby Digital. This is often wanted, since a lot of people have subwoofers that are not very fit for music, but do want it to be used in movie mode. For analogue inputs you can use the Stereo96 mode, but its not available for digital inputs. See also section 2. The Rotel 1098 does have this!

1.2. Extended processing modes
    [*]A mode that is similar to the Natural mode, but with only the three front speakers would be nice. Bit similar to Meridians Trifield or Dolby 3 stereo of the Rotel 1098.[*] Dolby Prologic IIx[*] Pure audio mode for Digital Inputs. Similar to Stereo96 for analogue inputs. So just do D/A conversion and no tone control or bass management (i.e. fronts = large). This could also be implemented by the 2nd point of section 1, but I would prefer both options!

1.3. Hardware Upgrades
    [*] Upgrades to the DACs[*] HDMI/DVI switching (could be done through the expansion port)[*] iLink/Firewire digital inputs (could be done through the expansion port)[*] Dimmable button Halo's (yes, its an hardware change) around the buttons. Many find the halo's annoying in HT use. They should find some way that they can be turned off.[*] Ability to turn of the display of the C2. The display can be bright or bit dimmed. Both can be distracting in HT use.

1.4. Other
    [*] Ability to set "no digital input" for a certain source. Now one has to always assign a digital input to a source, but this is trouble, since we have 10 selectable sources, but only 8 digital inputs. I.e., two sources will re-use a digital input that is also assigned to another source. In effect limiting connection possibilities to only 8 digital sources (and the two analogue inputs are virtually unusable, because there is also no way to select if you want to use the analogue or digital input, the digital one always takes precedence). The Rotel 1098 can do this.[*] Ability to select for a source, whether you want to hear the digital input or the analogue input. This is currently not possible (see also my previous point). The Rotel 1098 can do this.[*] Test signal on the programmable outputs. Currently its difficult to set a level for the programmable inputs since there is no test signal for it. I have yet to find a dvd that puts noise on every channel at the same time for testing purposes. I think this would be greatly appreciated. Autocalibration would be nicer btw for the level.[*] Source gain setting for digital inputs. Currently you can set the gain for an analogue input, but what about digital inputs? I would be nice to set this too (if at all possible).[*] Group delay. Solves lip-synch problems.[*] More flexible video source assignments. So possibility to add a video source to several inputs. Also possibility to override that and have it fixed to the currently selected video input, regardless of switching sources.[*] Video transcoding. From Svideo to Component, from composite to Component.[*] Lockable XLR inputs! Normally female XLR inputs also have a locking mechanism. Its a mystery to my why this is not done on the C1 and C2. This way the cable is tight and fixed to the unit.

2. Amplifiers

Some improvements on the amplifiers:[*] Lockable XLR inputs! (See also C1/C2). Normally female XLR inputs also have a locking mechanism. Its a mystery to my why this is not done on the C1 and C2. This way the cable is tight and fixed to the unit. This is already on the JC1, but I wanted it on my A51 (and on all of the other AXX series).[*] WBT terminals. This allows for banana, bare wire and spade connection. Currently spade is difficult.[*] More room around IEC power inlet.
    Last edited by Chris D; 06 January 2006, 15:33 Friday.
  • Whistler
    • Aug 2003

amplifier

- WBT terminal
    - more space for a descent powercord connector "marinco/wattgate"

Grtz,

Whistler

The Mainframe
    The Mainframe

Comment

• Omen
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Scarp
      1. C1 and C2

1.4. Other
      [*] Lockable XLR inputs! Normally female XLR inputs also have a locking mechanism. Its a mystery to my why this is not done on the C1 and C2. This way the cable is tight and fixed to the unit.
      My C2 that I got in January 2004 DOES have locking XLR inputs. However, my A52 that I got at the same time DOES NOT.

Comment

• Omen
        • Jan 2004

1. C1 and C2

The ability to assign a mode per source. For instance, I have my HDTV cable box assigned to two sources. One is called Cable, and the other one is called Music. When I select the source Cable, I want the mode to be set to DPLII Movie. In the same vein, when I select the Music source, I want the mode to be set to DPLII Music.

Alternately, provide discrete IR codes for each of the modes.

Comment

• TimGRA
          • Feb 2004

Scarp,
          New to this Forum, but really enjoy the layout and coversation.

With that said, your wish list could not be more right on! The "upgrades" that you desire are exactly why IM not sure I can invest in the C2. These functions are just user friendly features. I currently purchased a NEW 2205. After comparing the difference between that one and the new Halo, sure doesnt look like much other than esthetics. Becuase the C2 lacks some of these, what are becoming basic features, to many of the new pro-pros I may be forced to go another direction. I cant imagine I am the only one who feels this way.

Parasound, if you are listening, what upgrades are scheduled!? WE your customers want to know. :x

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Omen
            My C2 that I got in January 2004 DOES have locking XLR inputs. However, my A52 that I got at the same time DOES NOT.
            Thats cool!

@TimGRA: sure, some of those features are becoming standard and I know that a few are coming in upcoming software and/or hardware updates. What exactly I cannot say.
            However some features are nice, but not really necessary. Something like different crossovers per speaker group is nice, but there are also a lot of people who say it isn't a good idea. Also still the best setup is 5 (or 6 or 7) equal speakers (if u can afford equipment like the C2 then also get good speakers!). Besides that, a lot of those features make setting up the unit more complicated and that is also something they don't want to do.

What counts for me is how the unit sounds. I can't care much about most features, DAC types, etc. If it sounds great, then I rather have a little less options than something that has tons of options but sounds not so good.

My philosophy: check your situation and see what things you really require. So, a basic few connection possibilities, some bass management for a good set of speakers, etc.

Comment

• MarkStega
              • Oct 2003

C2:

Ability to control Zone 2 when the main zone is off. (Currently, Z2 continues to 'play' if the main zone is turned off, but one can not control volume, source, or power state)

Mark Stega
              Mark Stega

Comment

• TimGRA
                • Feb 2004

Scarp,
                Thanks for the reply. I am a pureist and I have a great set of speakers. To my piont, that is why I want to have speaker and crossover settings for a few different imputs. Having speakers that can take the low end while listening to 2 channel is what IM looking for. A "music" setting and a "movie" setting. Believe me I know how well the C2 sounds. That to me is the determining factor, but it just appears that other high end pre-pros are listening and making upgrades for their units much quicker and easier. Just trying to work through all options.

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

I'm a purist also, so thats why I want "Direct" mode to be what it should do, i.e., play the sound that comes in. If its stereo, I want stereo, if its 5.1 surround, I want 5.1 surround, etc. And I totally agree you should be able to have a mode does the purest thing possible, so for a 2.0 source, it should do 2.0.

I already have a pure audio mode in the list, I think that covers most of those wishes. Currently this is only possible for analogue inputs, but I want the same for digital inputs.

Btw, Parasound is busy working on new things. It just takes time. But their primary concern now is getting their dvd player finished. This somewhat takes time from the C1/C2 unfortunatly.

Comment

• smalone
                    • Aug 2003

Parametric EQ. I think this could be done in software. Just about all rooms need a little EQ adjustment.

Comment

• Chetk
                      • May 2004

Sorry if it's already been mentioned:

SRS Circle Surround modes.

Comment

• netdeveloper
                        • Feb 2004

C 1 / C 2:
                        Ability to up-convert video signal (example S-video to component or composite to S-video etc.)
                        Support DVI / SACD
                        C 1 specific - LCD should display video from any source.
                        Add ethernet port to allow communication with a network (similar to Tivo). This can be used for software updates amongst other things.

A 51 / A 52:
                        Make it smaller/lighter for standard audio racks.

Comment

• T()()L
                          • Jun 2004

Better speaker distance setup (ie half foot) distance,1 foot=1ms

Brg Nick

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

If Parasound is still monitoring this thread, I posted a bit of information over in our computer "Tower of Power" section that applies to directions that I wish a Parasound Halo DVD player would take. Here's the link:

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by smalone
                              Parametric EQ. I think this could be done in software. Just about all rooms need a little EQ adjustment.
                              Definitely. 1/3 octave parametric EQ (20Hz-20kHz) with automatic calibration would be awesome!

Peter

Comment

• cameronl
                                • Jul 2004

top of my wishlist...

some information on upcoming upgrades from parasound themselves - on there website would be great!

CaM

Comment

• smalone
                                  • Aug 2003

12 volt triggers HAVE to be able to be set by surround sound mode selected. Why have my 2 amps that power the surrounds and backs on while listening to 2-channel music? Currently I have to use DIM mode to select wether or not my surrounds and back are on or off. I would like it to turn on the side surrounds when I am listening to 5.1 sources and only engage the rear amp when DTS-ES or DD-EX or THX surround modes are engaged for rear sound.

Comment

• nicholtl
                                    • Aug 2003

I agree. Despite not being able to hear the ever-so-slight hiss out of my surround and surround-back speakers even when listening to 2-channel, why have it there at all? Better for them to be completely shut off, so that it's dead quiet, and so the music emerges from those "blacker than black" silences.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                      • Jan 2004

How about bi-directional control software to make use of the RS232 port?

It's great to have a serial port on all electronics, but it's not finished until it's linked with a nice GUI software package. What I mean by bi-directional is the ability to acknowledge commands and readout what the front display would normally tell you, some of us would have their Halos behind closed doors or screens.
                                      My Center Channel Project

Comment

• MarkStega
                                        • Oct 2003

I am using CQC (www.charmedquark.com) as control software for my C2. I have complete control of my C2 by serial port and display pertinent status information on my remote. I wrote the device driver for CQC months ago.

(Disclaimer - I now have in interest in CharmedQuark)
                                        Mark Stega

Comment

• bhuskins
                                          • Aug 2003

Mark,

How are you "related" to Dean?

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MarkStega
                                            I am using CQC (www.charmedquark.com) as control software for my C2. I have complete control of my C2 by serial port and display pertinent status information on my remote. I wrote the device driver for CQC months ago.

(Disclaimer - I now have in interest in CharmedQuark)
                                            Thats great, but I dont see anything about a C2 on that page. Can you give more information?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kingdaddy
                                              Thats great, but I dont see anything about a C2 on that page. Can you give more information?
                                              The C2 specific RS-232 info can be found here:

Peter

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                • Aug 2003

But Kingdaddy wants a GUI to go along with it. Not just the source strings...

It sounds like a weekend project for one of you guys that's a programmer by day.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                  • Jan 2004

Yes I need a GUI as Brent said, right now I'm using Main Lobby to control everything but they do not have a plugin for the Halo. However there is a chance that the MLGenericSerial plugin may work but it will take some tinkering, and I am sloooow at this kind of stuff. There is very little chance of any third party company developing a plugin or GUI interface for the Halos, just not mainstreem enough, which is why I find it odd that Parasound would not offer a program for sale. It seems like that only reason they put a serial control port on the back is for custom Creston/AMX installs which is way out of my price range.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bhuskins
                                                    But Kingdaddy wants a GUI to go along with it. Not just the source strings...
                                                    Well isn't CharmedQuark the GUI. It's just a matter of plugging in the correct command strings for the C2.

I have not used CharmedQuark, so I might be wrong. In that case there should be other GUI software that will let you do this...

Peter

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                      • Aug 2003

Yep...But, Charmed Quark is not for the novice...not that kingdaddy is a novice - he designs custom airplane cockpits that rival AMX systems...but CQ is not very plug and play and you're done. It might be worth the effort though because it has a relatively low cost in comparison to AMX or Crestron. Dean Roddey spends a lot of time on *** in the Home Integration section and can answer any CQ questions I'm sure. He also has a forum on his website. He's the owner/developer I believe.

Comment

• MarkStega
                                                        • Oct 2003

You can get the Halo C1/C2 driver information here: http://www.charmedquark.com/Document...rs/Drivers.htm

Building a simple GUI that displays field information from the driver is a project of a few hours that will not require programming (since the device driver already exists). If you start with the tutorial (http://www.charmedquark.com/Document...ckTutorial.htm) you will be up and running pretty quickly. If you need help, join us over at the support forum (http://www.charmedquark.com/www2/ubb...reads.php?Cat=) or shoot an e-mail our way (support@charmedquark.com).

CQC certainly has had a (deserved) reputation in the past as being hard to grasp. We've spent the last two releases and much of the upcoming release making vast improvements to the look, feel, and useability of both the designer and the resultant user interfaces. We have also redone the web site and the user documentation to ease the learning curve.

If there is continued discussion, we should move to another thread since we are hijacking the 'wish list'.
                                                        Mark Stega

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                          • Jan 2004

I've been looking into Charmed Quark, it looks like the only option out there and it is reasonably priced. Thanks for the tip Brent, didn't know that Dean Roddey was into this so I’ll post over at AVS and see what he thinks.

Comment

• Dean Roddey
                                                            • Jun 2004

BTW, we also have a driver for the new 7100 now as well. The problem with the plug and pay part is that it will usually come out something like the one that KingDaddy posted from Cinemar. It's nice and all, and you can play with it ASAP, but once you get past the playing around with it stage, you realize that for serious automation you are going to want 'activity' based control, not device specific control. I.e. you want to do activities like "watch DVD", which involves the coordination of a set of devices to achieve a particular goal. Having emulation of each device's remote control on the screen isn't really a huge step forward beyond the real remote controls themselves. The ultimate purpose of an automation system is to get rid of the sea of remote controls, not to just create virtual ones.

It is very, very hard to create that kind of logic automatically or make it plug and play. That's why the custom installers make the big bucks I guess, but it's not as hard as it seems either. We have pretty non-technical customers who have set up very respectable systems with activity related control, all without any coding (though if you have some coding skills you can do some very slick things with our CML macro language.)
                                                            Last edited by Dean Roddey; 19 April 2005, 02:59 Tuesday.
                                                            Dean Roddey
                                                            Charmed Quark Software

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2005

I have a Rotel 1098 and am swtiching to the halo C1 which has not arrived. I do appreciate the ability to listen to Stereo 2 channel and then DVD in 5.1. So with the Halo when I switch modes I am forced to set a new source each time ? Rotel was great and I am switching because more importantly was the sound achieved in the end. So my question is when switching modes ie cd to dvd the source and setup isn't memorized for each mode ?

Comment

• nicholtl
                                                                • Aug 2003

When switching sources, the setups (ie. stereo, DPLIIx, direct, party) are memorized.

Comment

• LuckyLuke
                                                                  • Jun 2005

C1 wish

Able to turn the lcd display complete off with the big remote,
                                                                  like the button "main" on the front of the C1

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

I might not ever have added my personal wish list. Here goes, in no particular order:

1. Halo DVD player. At this point, I'd like it to be a TRULY universal disc player capable of playing all formats that are available as of 2005. This includes, but isn't limited to:
                                                                    - CD
                                                                    - HDCD
                                                                    - MP3 (not for me, but others find it useful)
                                                                    - DVD
                                                                    - DVD +/- R
                                                                    - DVD +/- RW
                                                                    - DIVX
                                                                    - DVD-A
                                                                    - SACD
                                                                    - WMA
                                                                    - WMVHD (Windows Media Video High Def, for those who don't know)
                                                                    - HD-DVD
                                                                    - Blu-Ray
                                                                    I want this to be capable of upscaling standard-def video to 720p, 1080i, and preferably even 1080p, including other custom resolutions. High-def video would need to be output at the native resolution without any interference. Simultaneous high-def and standard component video output. Auto-sensing for DVD aspect ratio--video would be output at native ratio, not stretched or squeezed. ALL high-rez multichannel audio formats would need to be passed via a digital connection, preferably HDMI with video. For connectors, as a minimum I would need to have HDMI and component video with BNC. Just to be complete, stereo balanced XLR audio outputs to the C1/C2. I would like multiple bass management features, especially if any high-rez audio is not passed digitally and I'm forced to use 7.1 inputs/outputs. RS-232 control, of course. Naturally, region-free would be an added bonus. Some sort of mode to turn off all video processing and outputs for pure audio output. THX Ultra 2 to match the rest of the Halo equipment. Rack-mountable, with the required equipment included with the player (not sold separately)

2. HDMI switching added to the C1, C2, and 7100. Because of the Halo DVD player, I want this to do more than switch HDMI video between multiple sources. This also needs to carry and ***INPUT*** high-rez audio through HDMI into the C1, C2, and 7100. HDMI switching could either be internal on these processors through expansion panels, or external on separate switching boxes that would pass information to and from the processor through the expansion panel or the RS-232 port. (I would prefer the expansion panel, using a higher bandwidth connection, leaving the RS-232 port for unit control)

3. Because of the Halo DVD player and HDMI input and switching, I want capability added to the C1, C2, and maybe 7100 to decode all high-rez audio formats, keeping the signal digital all the way up to decoding and output by the processor. This is not a small thing--this would include the addition of DVD-A, SACD, WMVHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, and anything else included in the new high-def video discs.

4. Z-series CD player
                                                                    5. Newer and improved D/A processors for the C1 and C2.
                                                                    6. Video transcoding, preferably to be able to output video, S-video, and component video inputs all out to DVI
                                                                    7. Ethernet connections
                                                                    8. Circle Surround processing
                                                                    9. MultEq processing (for those don't know, this is a new technology that "replicates" the sweet spot to every seating location in the theater
                                                                    10. The release of the Zpre2
                                                                    Last edited by Chris D; 26 June 2005, 02:34 Sunday.
                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• LuckyLuke
                                                                      • Jun 2005

Logic 7 ! ;x(

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2004

Please make the Programmable channels active for 7.1 analog sources (SACD). My use of these channels has rendered my entire SACD collection un-useable. Some of us use multiple subs and a simple relay to strap the LFE content over to the one or more of the Programmable channels would be logical. Some may even want to use their bass shakers for SACD.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2004
                                                                          • 1188

Please add DIGITAL OUTPUTS (in addition to the existing balanced outputs).

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                            • 16877

Peter, not sure what you mean. The C1 and C2 already have one each coax and optical digital outputs.
                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2004
                                                                              • 1188

#39
                                                                              All the C1/C2 has is a "digital bypass". This output is not processed at all, and it will be mute when an analog source is used with the C1/C2.

What we need is the digitally processed outputs for ALL channels (7+1). I.e. the signal as it exists before being D/A converted by the C2.

Anyone that wants to use external D/A converter(s) needs outputs like this. The same goes if you have power amps with digital inputs or maybe a speaker with digital input...

As it stands now, the C2 will convert my front channel signals to analog. Then the DEQX will convert it to digital again, and finally back to analog again. It would be much better if I could avoid the unnecessary D/A/D conversion and have the C2 output a digital signal for the fronts directly to the DEQX. Eventually the DEQX would do the only D/A conversion with its 192 bit converters...

For instance, the Meridian G68 and 861 give you the option of digital outputs. The DEQX has both analog and digital inputs and gives you the option of digital or analog outputs...

Either Parasound needs to catch up... or I will need to get a Meridian :B

Peter

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2004
                                                                                • 1188

#40
                                                                                When thinking more about this....

Why not release a "C1 Mark II" or maybe call it "C1d" that has digital (RCA) outputs in addition to the analog ones.
                                                                                I would upgrade in a heartbeat, and this added feature would make the C1 stand out a little bit more compared to the C2! :T

Peter

Comment

• r100gs
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2005
                                                                                  • 321

#41
                                                                                  P1 ;x(
                                                                                  Jay

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 1188

#42
                                                                                    I e-mailed Richard Schram... Good news, but no guarantees yet. He told me to e-mail back in March for more definitive answers. I will do that, and keep y'all posted :T (If what he told me actually materializes, we're in for a real treat!!!)

Comment

• jkscherk
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 28

#43
                                                                                      Surprisingly for me, the longer we go, the more comfortable I am keeping my C2. The whole HDMI standard shakeout, uncertainty of HD-DVD,etc. makes me feel that the pure sonic quality of the C2, coupled with the 7.1 input should be about the best future-proof option available right now. Sure I'm still secretly hoping Parasound will surprise us with an upgrade of some sort for the C1/C2 platform, but if they don't, I still think we can get at least another year or more of top performance form these units. Changing over to another make/model right now would not make sense for me, but maybe someone looking for some other features would switch. Personally, I'm 90% certain I'll be adding the D3 to match......that's how committed I am to the platform.

Comment

• rgt
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2005
                                                                                        • 11

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                                                                                        I e-mailed Richard Schram... Good news, but no guarantees yet. He told me to e-mail back in March for more definitive answers. I will do that, and keep y'all posted :T (If what he told me actually materializes, we're in for a real treat!!!)
                                                                                        What did he tell you?

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                                          • 16877

#45
                                                                                          I'd like to add some recommendations--I've reached the point that these would be useful for me:

- Parametric equalization with multiple individual filters of different types, full-range from maybe 10 Hz to 25 kHz.

- Full use of all 4 programmable channels with 7.1 analog inputs.

- The ability to do processing on 7.1 analog inputs OR defeat the processing for straight pass-through. (i.e. if we get HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players in the next few months, we will only be able to connect them via 7.1 analog inputs for the new sound formats, but would not be able to do any processing)
                                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"