Any experience with Parasound Halo JC-1 power amps?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Any experience with Parasound Halo JC-1 power amps?

I noticed that Stereophile lists the Parasound Halo JC-1 in their most recent Recommended Products list in the "A" group for solid state power amps. While such ratings aren't everything, it does mean that over 12 years since the product was introduced, their editors still think it's one of the best out there.

I recently had the opportunity to hear LP (vinyl album) and master tape source material via a pair of the JC-1 amps powering Magnepan MG 3.7 speakers for about two hours, and thought the combination produced music that was subtly nuanced, intricately detailed yet full bodied, engaging, and enjoyable. In other words -- sounded great!

But before I plunk down the not inconsiderable price for a pair, I'd like to know how the JC1's stand up over a longer period of repeated, extended listening, and perhaps any comparisons from your listening with other powerful amplifiers that would make a useful reference.

Thoughts?

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Oh yes... I don't think anyone would be unhappy, going with the JC-1. Matter of fact, the only people I have ever heard say something bad about the JC-1 said either (1) it's just too big, or (2) too powerful/put out a lot of heat. Never heard a single bad thing about performance or sound.

Perhaps Peter will chip in here. I know he loved his JC-1's, and only moved on because he wanted to go Class D.

FWIW, I've been using my A21 and A51 amps for 12-13 years now, and won't be giving them up anytime soon.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

UPDATE -- now i have some experience with the JC 1's to report

For the past several years I have been enjoying Bryston 7B SST (not the “squared” update) mono-block power amps for my front three channels in HT configuration, and therefore, left and right channels for stereo music. While they are certainly powerful enough to drive my 15 year old Magnepan MG 3.6 speakers with ease, the passage of time and the opportunity to demo other equipment led to the question: would something else work even better in my listening space?

The dealer who sold me the Parasound Halo JC 2 BP preamplifier a little over two years ago had predicted at the time that I might someday want to “step up” to the Parasound Halo JC 1 power amps. I was politely skeptical, having had so many hours of listening pleasure with the Brystons, which also had the significant advantage of being paid for.

Subsequently, I had heard the new Magnepan MG 3.7 speakers driven by Brystons like mine, and then by Audio Research amplification and was very favorably impressed by the demos. (Thus the seed was planted for a speaker upgrade.) But no one I knew in Houston had JC 1’s, much less JC 1’s driving Maggies.

Then a few months ago while in Bangkok, Thailand, I happened to hear the Magnepan 3.7 speakers driven by the JC 1’s at a high end audio dealer -- a thrilling, revelatory demo, but not a long term listen to establish how the enjoyment would hold up under continued use -- and had an interesting conversation with the owner about his experience with various other high end amplification with Maggies. He suggested that the JC 1’s would be a step up for my 3.6’s and would be even more satisfying with the newer Magnepan models.

So after doing some research online, (and having had some private message encouragement here in addition to what Chris D has posted publically), I took the plunge, buying two Parasound JC 1 power amps with silver front panels. They have been in my system a couple of weeks now, and for fun, I left the Brystons hooked up to the Maggie 3.6’s and connected the JC 1’s to the Magnepan 1.6’s I had been using as surround speakers for home theater.

The Parasound Halo JC1 power amplifiers are a major step up in refinement over the Bryston 7B SST amps with relaxed, yet authoritative presentation of detailed, yet cohesive music. The palpable sense of presence, the nuanced differences in instrumental timbres are remarkable. This sensation holds through many hours of listening with varied music. Although the next logical step along the upgrade path might be new main speakers, some moments while listening to the JC 1's, I think I may not need a speaker upgrade at all, given the clarity, precision and apparent headroom of the JC 1's combined with an overall pleasing musical quality that make me smile every time I listen with them driving my speakers, which repeats with extended listening.

And that is with the JC 1’s driving the Maggie 1.6’s. Hooking the JC 1's to the 3.6's pushes things to an even higher level of refinement. Switching back to the Brystons and the Maggie 3.6’s, I recognize that the Brystons have power, but lack the last measure of finesse that makes the JC 1's very special.

I may still upgrade my speakers, but I guess that would call for a post in another part of the Forum? Meanwhile, I plan to keep the Bryston power amps for the center and surround channels when in HT mode. Can't say enough good things about the Parasound Halo JC 1 power amps, and the JC 1/ JC 2 combo is sonic heaven. I'm not anticipating any buyer's remorse on this upgrade. :>)

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Nice ! The only time I got to hear JC 1s , they were driving Revel Salon speakers. Coincidentally , I got to hear Bryston amps through the same set up in the same room. I think the Brystons were 14 B somethings (?). The Brystons were flawless in relaying the musical information. The JCIs were fantastic at delivering the music. They just seemed to enjoy their work more than the Brystons. LOL Both sets of amps were fed by a Mark Levinson pre that made everything that ran through it a lot better , too.
        I wish I could have heard the Halos through Maggies , though. That does sound like a great combination.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

You sir, deserve a banana. :banana:

Next, you're going to be buying a JC-3.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• peter clarke
            • Oct 2006

Burke, I have been using JC-1's for 6 years, currently running bass on my B&W 800D's for stereo and for home theatre they run the whole speaker, so they get a lot of use. Each amplifier has failed once in warranty period, minor repairs ? details, they just keep playing. I have used them full range for stereo and I'm sure they compete with amplifiers at much greater cost , a very smooth, detailed sound, also heaps of power on tap!!!!! I really don't have any desire or need for upgrading them.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Lee, Chris, Peter, I appreciate your comments about the JC 1's. Thank you for confirming positive impressions about Parasound and the JC 1's.

I’ve had the Parasound Halo JC 1 power amps in my system long enough now to be convinced they are the “real deal” for both power and finesse with the speakers I need for them to drive. My only regret is that I didn’t know about them a lot sooner.

I would have probably bought additional Parasound amps for center and surround rather than Bryston or another brand if I had not already been heavily invested in the other power amps before I joined the Parasound family. (So I'm "recycling" the older amps for surround/center duty while enjoying the JC 1's for front L/R channels.)

But that’s water under the bridge and I’m looking forward to many years of enjoyment with the JC 1’s. They have proven themselves driving several different speaker sets in my listening room. And having demonstrated near-live-sounding performance with the Magnepan MG 3.6 speakers, they are coming even closer to sonic perfection with a pair of Magnepan 20.7 speakers that have been in the system for about two weeks. Astonishingly good, in fact.

In a few more weeks, after the 20.7’s have more fully broken in, I’ll add some more detailed comments. But I already know that I’m cured of sound equipment upgrade-itus for quite some time. (I enjoyed the Maggie 3.6 speakers for 15 years before contemplating an upgrade, so let's mark our calendars for a decade and a half from now…) :>)

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

That combination sounds like it may be difficult to pull you away from long enough for further review! Try anyway! With the way big Maggies present 'life size' instruments , and the joyous way those amps go about their work , that must be a lot of fun. Congratulations and good for you!
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"