X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gir
    • Dec 2006

Jim Anderson at Penn State

Hey guys, I just got an e-mail through the AES group at Penn State, and thought some of you might be interested. If you're near State College you should definitely think about attending!

AESers! I need your help!

As many of you know, our student AES chapter is hosting Grammy-award winning recording engineer Jim Anderson at our outstanding community performing arts center, the State Theatre, in just under two weeks (details below!). As I'm sure you're all aware the State Theatre is much, much bigger than the ASB classroom. That means that our mission from now until the 18th is to tell everyone we know who might even be remotely interested about the event. Remember: this isn't our typical audio engineering meeting. I doubt Jim Anderson will show any circuit diagrams or specs sheets - his talk is about recording music. So make sure to tell all your friends who have makeshift recording studios in their dorm rooms, make sure to tell all of your friends who are musicians, make sure you tell people interested in music!

To kick things off, I've created this as an event on Facebook. I've tried to invite as many people as possible, but in case you didn't get an invite go to "Events" on Facebook and search for Jim Anderson. If that fails, add me as a friend and I will invite you. Most of all, please RSVP and invite others who you think might be interested! I am counting on you all!

We're working on a flyer right now so watch for an email soon with flyers that you can post around your dorm, building, office, etc...

Okay, I think that's it for now. Please don't hesitate to contact me with questions!

Scott

WHO: Jim Anderson
    Jim Anderson is an internationally recognized recording engineer and producer of acoustic music for the recording, radio, television, and film industries. He is the recipient of numerous awards and nominations in the recording industry: his recordings have received nine Grammy awards and 24 Grammy nominations; his radio recordings have received two George Foster Peabody Awards and there have been two Emmy nominations for television programs.

A graduate of the Duquesne University School of Music in Pittsburgh PA, Jim has studied audio engineering at the Eastman School of Music and Sender Freies Berlin. During the 1970s, he was employed by National Public Radio and engineered and produced many award-winning classical, jazz, documentary, and news programs. Since 1980 Jim has had a career as an independent audio engineer and producer, living in New York City. He has been a frequent lecturer and master-class guest faculty member at leading international institutes, including the Berklee College of Music, The New England Institute of Art, McGill University, The Banff Centre, Universite de Kunst in Berlin, University of LuleƄ in Sweden, the New School University, University of Georgia, and Penn State University. He has served as Vice President for Eastern Sections of the Audio Engineering society (AES), chaired the New York Section of the AES, Chair of the 119th and the 123rd AES Conventions. In 2006, he was made a Fellow of the AES and received the AES' Board of Governor's Award. He is also President-Elect of the Audio Engineering Society.

Since 2004, he has been the Chair of the Clive Davis Department of Recorded music, in the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University.

WHAT: "Reality is Not a Recording/A Recording is Not Reality"
    The former New York Times film critic, Vincent Canby, wrote "all of us have different thresholds at which we suspend disbelief, and then gladly follow fictions to conclusions that we find logical." Any recording is a 'fiction,' a falsity, even in its most pure form. It is the responsibility, if not the duty, of the recording engineer, and producer, to create a universe so compelling and transparent that the listener isn't aware of any manipulation. Using basic recording techniques, and standard manipulation of audio, a recording is made, giving the listener an experience that is not merely logical but better than reality. How does this occur? What techniques can be applied? How does an engineer create a convincing loudspeaker illusion that a listener will perceive as a plausible reality? Recordings will be played.

WHEN: Friday April 18, 2pm-4pm

WHERE: The State Theatre!
    -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"