X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark K
    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by jkrutke
    I will have a test sample of the Seas DXT waveguide sent to me when production is ready. I've seen a preliminary response curve of it though, and the interesting thing is that it uses the 27TBFCG but it doesn't have the nasty top octave dips that I saw when I tried it in the MCM waveguide. I'm curious to find out why. It's probably the lack of the original grill design, phase shield or something. Bottom end behavior is similar to the MCM. (this may be another single cap filter)
    Lucky dog...
    www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• jkrutke
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      I'll be quite curious to see what you think of the Seas DXT, and how it works overall. When you tried the 27TBFCG in a waveguide, did you remove the so called phase diffusor? I'd expect that to interact with a waveguide mouth in unusual ways.

...Can you share the dimensions of the DXT waveguide, and intended lower operating frequency?
      When I tried the 27TBFCG in the waveguide, I left the grill on. I didn't want to mangle the tweeters since they were borrowed from another system. I won't really have much information about the DXT until I get one in my hand. So far all I know is the design and response curve shown in Voice Coil a while back, and a few details that Madisound mentioned to me. But, I think it's about 6" diameter, and I suspect 1300 or 1400 LR4 would be the lower limit depending on the listener's volume habits.

Originally posted by Mark K
      Lucky dog...
      Not really. Most of the drivers people send me to test have to be sent back. So far this year I've spent $500 on return shipping. Not exactly cheap to satisfy my curiosity. Occasionally, I'm lucky enough that a vendor or two lets me keep the drivers. But on the other hand, if nobody offers up the drivers I want to test, I have to pay for them myself. That's often a massive money losing venture.
      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

But on the other hand, if nobody offers up the drivers I want to test, I have to pay for them myself. That's often a massive money losing venture.

No kidding! BTDT, own the movie rights and the iTunes distribution contract.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonP
          • Apr 2006

When I tried the 27TBFCG in the waveguide, I left the grill on. I didn't want to mangle the tweeters since they were borrowed from another system.
          As I recall.. someone out there (Dave Ralph?) did dismantle the hexgrid cover off of a TBFC fairly safely. Think it was glued, so reverseability could be problematic...

But, we digress... :W

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

But on the other hand, if nobody offers up the drivers I want to test, I have to pay for them myself. That's often a massive money losing venture.
            I do not understand your reasoning. Everybody else also buys his own drivers .

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
              I do not understand your reasoning. Everybody else also buys his own drivers .
              Except MarkK, who gets bazillions of guys to send him stuff to test. Smart guy... :B
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dlr
                • Feb 2005

Not the 27TBFC...

Originally posted by JonP
                As I recall.. someone out there (Dave Ralph?) did dismantle the hexgrid cover off of a TBFC fairly safely. Think it was glued, so reverseability could be problematic...

But, we digress... :W
                It was the 22TAF/G. It comes off fairly easily. I was able to re-position it without gluing it, but that does leave it in a precarious situation.
                Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• Mark K
                  • Feb 2002

Well,
                  I'm not really trying to get free drivers. I'm just kind of bored with the usual 6.5 in midwoofers... Not much is interesting-although the Seas reed looks nice for a nonmetal.

I wish someone would send me a waveguide/horn loaded 27TBFC/G...not that I want a free one. I just don't want to make one. Seas needs to hurry up and get these to market. I'm curious how much lower these can go with the same distortion as the nonloaded versions...
                  www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    Thanks Thomas,

I'm working on getting some tickets to come out to Denver for the weekend. Just waiting to hear back from my sister (she lives in Denver), if it'll fit in her schedule. Do you and Jon definitely have plans to show off your speakers there? If so I'll try to get to that room! Maybe you can bring some dipoles too.

Jed

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Well,
                      I'm not really trying to get free drivers. I'm just kind of bored with the usual 6.5 in midwoofers... Not much is interesting-although the Seas reed looks nice for a nonmetal.

I wish someone would send me a waveguide/horn loaded 27TBFC/G...not that I want a free one. I just don't want to make one. Seas needs to hurry up and get these to market. I'm curious how much lower these can go with the same distortion as the nonloaded versions...
                      Agreed, I'd buy a pair of the waveguide tweeters as well. I'm also curious about how well the 8" nextel performs. The FR looks good and the Nextel woofers seem to get better in performance as the diameter of the cone increases. At least in terms of harmonic distortion.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jed
                        Do you and Jon definitely have plans to show off your speakers there? If so I'll try to get to that room! Maybe you can bring some dipoles too.
                        The plan is to have an open house probably Sunday afternoon, that way people can just drop by. (Note, my house is literally 5 min away from the RMAF venue. We can provide transportation for those without rental cars)

In addition to the usual speakers we'll have the new compact WMTW and a fully operational prototype of the dual 12" woofer Isiris up and running.

If some can't make Sunday afternoon we'll make other arrangements for them

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Carl V
                          • Apr 2005

Hello Thomas

I'll be there again...looking forward to the meet & greet.

cheers

carl

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                            • Feb 2006

The plan is to have an open house probably Sunday afternoon, that way people can just drop by. (Note, my house is literally 5 min away from the RMAF venue. We can provide transportation for those without rental cars)

In addition to the usual speakers we'll have the new compact WMTW and a fully operational prototype of the dual 12" woofer Isiris up and running.

If some can't make Sunday afternoon we'll make other arrangements for them

Hey Thomas......

Are ther any specific times you want people to come by? Also, is there anything I could bring to help out if I can make it??

Tom

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Well,
                              I'm not really trying to get free drivers. I'm just kind of bored with the usual 6.5 in midwoofers...
                              Then you have to go test the UNUSUAL 6.5 in midwoofers.... or try a different size... :W

just pulling your leg a bit, Mark....
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ColoradoTom
                                Hey Thomas......

Are ther any specific times you want people to come by? Also, is there anything I could bring to help out if I can make it??

Tom
                                How are you feeling Tom? We hope you can come by but understand your family schedule may preclude....

I'm planning on playing comp time hooky and coming out early the week before- we've got a lot to get ready. Going to send out some of my gear and cables, too.

All in all I'm certainly looking forward to this. I've heard that exhibitor space has sold out.

This may deserve it's own thread/sticky leading up to the event.
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Carl,

Looking forward to seeing you again... :T

Tom,

Jon's coming to Denver earlier in the week, maybe we can bop out and give your toys a listen...?

Let's discuss specifics via phone

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                    How are you feeling Tom? We hope you can come by but understand your family schedule may preclude....

I'm planning on playing comp time hooky and coming out early the week before- we've got a lot to get ready. Going to send out some of my gear and cables, too.

All in all I'm certainly looking forward to this. I've heard that exhibitor space has sold out.

This may deserve it's own thread/sticky leading up to the event.
                                    Doing great... I've been dealing with this for over a year and really hadn't realized how bad I'd been feeling. Had post surgery meeting with the doctor yesterday and he said I can be lifting > 60 lbs within a couple of weeks! :T Probably back to woodworking/speaker building in mid-October.

No problem with a visit to the house..... working on some acoustic stuff this week (because the materials are all light!!)

Tom

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                      • Feb 2006

Tom,

Jon's coming to Denver earlier in the week, maybe we can bop out and give your toys a listen...?

Let's discuss specifics via phone

Can do.... will call/email in a couple of weeks.

Tom

Comment

• JonP
                                        • Apr 2006

Must have been someone else, I'm pretty sure it was a TBFC. I do remember you doing the 3/4" version now. They seemed to be the same in grill construction.

It would be interesting to see if the TBFC behaves nicer w/o the phase shield and grill in a waveguide. Maybe I'll get curious enough to carve up the MCM guides gathering dust around here, buy some TBFC's, make a custom grill
                                        puller.... and Mr J and or Mr K might have a package show up in their mail.

I'm still thinking of the horn loaded RS225 two way I was starting to play around with last year... :roll:

Comment

• FrederikCaroe
                                          • Jul 2007

Sounds fine by me.... :T
                                          The article about the thread suspension for a Scan Speak 21w is done. Where to put it?
                                          All drivers must be in phase at all frequencies.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by FrederikCaroe
                                            The article about the thread suspension for a Scan Speak 21w is done. Where to put it?
                                            Hi,

For discussion purposes start a thread in this section. Eventually we'll probably move it to permanent sticky status in Missions Accomplished.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Dennis H
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2002

Fun with MathCAD

Some may remember, way back in the middle of this thread, I posted a spreadsheet for the Duelund 3-way. I could never get the 4-way to work and after beating my head on the wall and listening to Jon telling me I was an idiot not to use MathCAD, I finally listened to Jon. I snagged the old copy of MathCAD 7 that Danish was giving away (thanks Danish!) and spent the last couple of evenings trying to learn to use it for something useful. First was a Duelund 3-way using hints Jon dropped in the 3-way Design Study thread. I was like a blind squirrel looking for an acorn but I finally got it to work. Then it was a simple matter to modify it for a 4-way. If there's any interest, I'll post the worksheets. They seem to run a lot faster than the ones written by Steen Duelund and posted by Frederik, probably because mine use the native S-plane equations and I made an effort to avoid repetitive calcs. They will also output the data to .txt files.

Click image for larger version

Name:	duelund 4-way.gif
Views:	1264
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	849756
                                              Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 18:35 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jed
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Apr 2005

Dennis,

You're the man! :T I'd like a copy very much.

Jed

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2002

Okay, here are the 3-way and 4-way MathCAD worksheets. Change 'Fc' and 'a' or 'b' at the top to whatever you want and then scroll down to the graph. After you get it looking the way you like, do Math / Calculate Worksheet in the menus to output the .txt files to the same folder where the worksheet is. I couldn't figure out how to output more than one variable to a file so the frequencies are in a separate file. It's easy enough to copy/paste the numbers into Excel to get frequency and dB side by side. While you're at it you can format the number of decimals down to something reasonable.
                                                  Attached Files
                                                  Last edited by Dennis H; 14 December 2007, 18:44 Friday.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2002

I just replaced the file above with a new version. No big changes, just fixed a few typos like the title of the 4-way was still labeled 3-way.

Comment

• Paul W
                                                      • Oct 2004

The 4-way sure looks like a natural for a W22 lower mid, RS-52 upper mid! Huge flexibility with woofer and tweeter selection.
                                                      Paul

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Paul W
                                                        The 4-way sure looks like a natural for a W22 lower mid, RS-52 upper mid! Huge flexibility with woofer and tweeter selection.
                                                        Yup, it gets you a real 20-20K speaker with a good blend all the way up! Most any good sub driver would work for the bass. The low mid could be a W22 or an RS225. The high mid could be an RS52 or a TB W4 depending on whether you were going monopole or dipole. You could do a Vifa D26 or a BG Neo3 for the tweeter depending on monopole or dipole. Adjusting Fc (center frequency) and b (which basically sets the bandwidth of the mid drivers) would let you optimize it for the particular drivers you choose.

The catch is all the components you'd need to do a passive version of the XO. Matching the transfer functions with an active XO, at least for the lower frequencies, might be more practical.

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"