X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fryguy
    • Apr 2006

Help me get my source equipment in order

Well, I'm in the process of considering an upgrade on the audio equipment I use for my PC and my bedroom in general.

I currently am using my PC with bit-perfect output (kernel streaming, bypassing kmixer etc) via optical to a zhaolu 2.0 DAC with upgraded discrete amp powering a set of grado sr225s.

I would like to expand upon the system so that I can use headphones as well as speakers (2.1), and optionally a couple of extra sources.

I would like to run the DAC to a passive pre-amp/volume control with a couple of inputs and 2 outputs. For the time being I plan on only using a single output, to the speaker amps (more on this later), and remain using the internal amp on the DAC for the headphones (upgrade in steps).

The output of the pre-amp would go to an active crossover of some sort to run a pair of speakers and a subwoofer.

From PC to DAC
    From DAC to Headphones and Active Crossover
    From Active crossover to 2 power amps
    from amps to speaker/subs.

Does this sound like a reasonable setup? Any recommendations on the pre-amp and crossover? I've been looking at Channel Islands (www.ciaudio.com), either the 2 input or 4 input unit (is there a functional difference between these other than the more expensive one has more inputs and a volume control)

Amps will probably be the likes of behringer a500 (possibly a pair), and subwoofer will be something like a peerless 12" or similar. From amps downward are undecided at this point.

I'm really looking for input on a preamp/crossover combination that will suit my needs.

Oh, and XLR inputs/outputs as an option would be nice, but isn't required.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 17 March 2007, 18:41 Saturday. Reason: fix link
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"