X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capslock
    • Dec 2004

Audibility of transients and harmonics revisited

I heard a very interesting radio program in the car this morning. It was about the signal processing that the DSP between our ears does and had lots of sound examples.

1. is an old one, hearing the fundamental of a sound even if it is missing. Interesting thing is that even monkeys (who have not grown up listening to Beethoven and Mozart) have this ability. Explanation was that other than musical instruments, only humans and animals make harmonic sounds. This may be a way for those monkey to distinguish their buddies' voices from the general mayhem in the jungle.

2. hearing through omission. There were five sine waves playing continuously with each sine briefly interupted when its note was supposed to be played. Apparently, we can invert this sound and hence recognize the tune.

3. was the eye opener for me. There was a piano piece that had the first 3 ms of each note edited out. It sounded like a very cheap electronic organ or like one of Laurie Anderson's Chello performances.

Both the manuscript and the 25 min. transmission can be downloaded at:

It's in German, unfortunately. Maybe I'll write down and post the time stamps of the most interesting examples.
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"