X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

New HDTV (sort of)

Just picked up a 22 inch computer monitor equipped with HDMI. Ordinarily, I'd have purchased a TV but this was free (every 2 years, my wife's company allots 750$ for computer upgrades [either new bits or a new system]). We didn't feel the need for a new system, so I picked up some RAM for my notebook, an external 500 gig hard drive with an e-SATA connection port (could be good as extra storage space for my HD PVR IF its port is active--if not, it still works as external storage) and the monitor.

I didn't do too much shopping and comparing. The purpose of the monitor is as a secondary display in the HT so I don't have to fire up the PJ all the time for shorter viewing sessions or to navigate those few DVD-As I have that do not properly default to MCH hi-res. Even so, I read up on monitors and this one seemed to be the best option at a reasonable cost (there is a 24 inch model that would likely have been better, but the extra cost would have forced me to drop the RAM). In the 22 inch category, CNET rated the one I got among the highest. It has a 16:9 setting (native it is 16:10) so it doesn't distort images tailored to TV. It also has a 1:1 setting (though it does not appear available via HDMI--perhaps via DVI or VGA--important for gamers, I suppose) and a 4:3 setting. It has far more colour adjustments than available on my 17 inch 4:3 LCD monitor with the docking port for my notebook. I haven't tweaked it yet (some HD DVDs looked fine, but flesh tones on the DVD I watched tonight were clearly out of whack).

It's not perfect (light "bleeds" along the edges--though perhaps some tweaking can diminish that) and I would have liked at least a composite or s-video input as well but at 329$ (in the US it can be had for about 15-20% less at some vendors), it is a reasonably good deal (at free for me, it's even better ). If I were a student living in a dorm room or small apartment, I could see using this as my main TV. It has 1680x1050 resolution (not quite "full HD", but higher than 720p--though it is an "odd" resolution that may not appeal to video purists, despite the 16:9 mode, as it has to scale every input it receives) and it looked very good with HD DVD. Even SD DVD (the movie I watched tonight) looked quite nice. So, anyone who is looking for a decent secondary display (easily portable at about 10 pounds) or, as a student, a primary one for a small room set up--this one is worth considering in my opinion.

Anyway, here the model number: SP2208WFP 22 inch from Dell.ca
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"