X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

I want to buy your work!

hey guys, i've been surfing this forum as unregistered for a while. I been thinking about building an affordable pair ever since this semester started but the schoolwork is just getting bigger and bigger it seems. So, I was wondering, if you guys had a pair of speakers that are just laying around and wouldn't mind selling it to a guy who's ears are getting calloused cuz he's been using a lousy headphone for every day for the last three months!
    I'd like it to be a DIY speaker and around $200 or lower. thanks.

oh also i live in hollywood, ca and wouldn't mind pickup at all.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Most of the stuff 'round here costs more than that for parts...

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• m1ke323
      • Jun 2006

I really don't know who would be willing to part with their speakers for $200 or less. Even the smaller 2 ways I think are worth more then that.

When you think about it, there is the cost of not only of the drivers and XO parts but also wood, glue, mounting hardware, dampening material, termal plates, router bits that you wear out, and finishing materials whether it be paint or veneer.

Veneering costs alot of money, there is the venner, veneer glue, possibly veneer softener (if you are doing a radius), stain, high grit sandpaper, and some sort of topcoat poly.

Lets not forget about the countless hours of labor puts into some of these speakers. I don't want to even think about how much time I have put into my TMWW speakers.

But hey, maybe someone has some old diy speakers they are willing to part with. Good luck

Mike

Comment

• jonathanb3478
        • May 2006

What about the priceless joy you will get from fostering an aspiring audiophile?

What kind of price can you put on that?

I am almost serious, here. :T
        Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
        -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• rumatt
          • Jun 2006

If you sell what you have, it gives you an excuse to make more.

I wouldn't sell for less than the price of the parts though.

Comment

• Coconutout
            • Oct 2006

ok maybe i should adjust my price... anything under $300. anything?

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Coconutout
              ok maybe i should adjust my price... anything under $300. anything?
              You are getting close to the cost of buying some cabs from partsexpress and inserting a modula mt- how hard can that be? Or, try Roman's Microbe, at rjbaudio.com- and have someone build you cabinets... diyspeakercabinets.com

Jed

Comment

• jbateman
                • May 2005

I have a pair of these VIFA Studio kits (assembled) from Madisound.
                Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	studiophoto.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	949215

They're mostly suitable for a small room. One of them has a small ding in one corner. How's $175 plus shipping sound?
                Would be around $40-$45 from Baltimore to Hollywood.
                Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 08:18 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Coconutout
                  • Oct 2006

sold

Comment

• jbateman
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Coconutout
                    sold
                    Serious?
                    If so, email me at mr.johnbateman@verizon.net.
                    I'll take some pictures of them later so you can see what you're getting.

Besides, I don't think the moderators want people conducting sales in the forum.
                    Sorry, Moderator.

Comment

• Jim85IROC
                      • Jan 2005

I've got a pair of NSB/Onkyo MTM's in black vinyl laminate that I'd happily sell for $200.

Then again, you could probably build them yourself for under $20 including wood.

Comment

• TimRawson
                        • Oct 2004

some diy speakers can be found on da'bay. but then a matter of if you can trust the builders claims. for the most part, diy speaker projects go for less than cost to make them let alone when you factor in all the tooling. labor, forget about it. market can be crazy. lucky to get cost on quality diy, yet 2 year old rotel will sell for 80% msrp because of name recognition ;x( .

Comment

• Coconutout
                          • Oct 2006

yeah i can only find 1 DIY speaker on ebay. so much for my surfing skills.. I'm also looking for a matching center for the set I just bought from jbateman.
                          Last edited by ThomasW; 27 January 2007, 11:49 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"