X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Screen advice needed

I was looking for some info on SharpVision screens but could not find any.
    The reason I am even looking at these is because they are available at a local Audio shop,which makes it much simpler to purchase VS purchasing online.
    I just need to know if they are at least worth looking into.

Also,,my screen location would not only pull down in front of the center channel but also the two front speakers.
    I can place the center on the floor so this becomes a non-issue , however, should I be concerned with the front speakers being behind the screen.?

Last question,,
    Is a 106" screen too big for a seating distance of 12 feet?

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

I don't believe that Sharp produces projection screens, so it means that you are likely looking at a major screen manufacturer like Stewart, DaLite, Vu-Tek or ? that simply has a Sharpvision label on it, and a 20% markup added.

Unlike electronics that have some value in buying locally (in later support) screens aren't going to break, so other than convenience of having it the same day there is little advantage compared to buying from a screen retailer and having it shipped to you.

The retailer would have to give me some serious price discount to have me buy a screen locally, as you will find that there are some very nice screens available to suit your exact needs. Also I'm not sure if they still sell them, but avoid glass beaded screens if you come across them.

As I had mentioned in another thread here, you can custome order (for not too much more money) a screen with accoustically transparent black border material either above or below the active (white/gray) screen, so that you can pull the screen down and have the speakers below or above the screen area and still hear them fine without having to go with a more expensive perforated screen.

The optimal size and viewing distance has to more with personal preference on how big you want the image to be, and also what resolution the source material is.

If you like watching films from the back of the theater, then you will want a smaller screen with a fixed distance. And also if you watch VHS tapes and DSS/cable all of the time then the image will look a bit soft up close.

But if you watch DVD and HDTV material, you can easily support a larger screen, or sitting closer (or both).

-Dean.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

I'm not sure who decided this but at projectorcentral.com they recommend the screen height be at least equal to 1/3 the distance to the center viewing row. I believe that is for an HDTV screen size.

12' = at least a 48" high screen

106" HDTV screen is 52" high... so according to them you'd be okay.

I personally am going 100" with a 12-13' viewing distance, but if I think it's too big then I'll mask it down. It would be pretty difficult to increase the screen size if it ended up being too small.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Trevor, I have a 106" diagonal 16:9 screen in my HT. Although my main seating is at 14 feet, I have had the seating at 12 feet with no problem at all, with the exception of taped material, as Dean has pointed out. Now with lower resolution, you may see the pixel grid with some projectors, so it would be a good idea, if possible, to make sure your particular PJ is okay at that distance before ordering the screen.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Trevor Schell
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thanks guys!!

Lot's of great info.

The screen I had seen was a SharpVision Labeled with a Black Border around the perimeter of it. The screen size was 106" Diagonal,,Wemeasured it as 94" wide which will fit in my room.
          It was a manual pull down with a retail of $497 CDN..
          I thought that was a great value since another place in town had a motorized screen for $2,500 CDN which I don't want to invest into at the time since the projector I will be starting out with will likely be less than that..

Trevor
          My HomeTheater S.E.
          Sonically Enhanced
          C5
          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Dean McManis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • May 2003

I does sound like a good price.

Motorized screens are a real luxury and usually many times more expensive than pull-down or fixed screens.

-Dean.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Trevor that's not to bad really but is it a perf screen or a solid screen? If its solid you can't place your speakers behind it. Couldn't you move your speakers out a bit more and mount the centre on the floor?

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Andrew,,
                I may have to rethink my decision on FPTV.

The 92" screen would also cover up my mains. This would be the smallest size screen that I would consider.
                I would need to go with a perf screen which would be quite costly I can imagine.
                Even going that route though, is it wise to have your mains blocked by a screen regardless if it's a perf screen or not...? I would think that would play havick with your SoundStage and Imaging.
                I don't have the option of moving my speakers apart in my set-up right now. I would have to move my rack and my subs etc..I don't want to do that..

Other option would be to turn off the Audio while watching the movie. Then if I decide I want the audio on , I would have to roll up the screen and go with out video. Don't think that would work to well for movie watching!!:nonod:

Trevor
                My HomeTheater S.E.
                Sonically Enhanced
                C5
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Trevor there is nothing wrong with having your speakers behind the screen for movies. I would put the centre behind as well so that its consistant sounding between all three speakers but these perf screens are made to have speakers behind them. Sound stage in not an issue with movies at least not to the same degree they are with 2 channel music.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Trev: I think on Stewart's website, you can see graphs of sound loss through properly perforated screens. It's almost neglible. I'm definitely going to use a perforated screen, which may partially or fully be in front of the mains as well. One of the big advantages of the perforated screen is that the sound from the center channel comes from the screen itself, making the experience more lifelike as the sound is coming (mostly dialogue) from the exact place where it should be as the actors speak.

CHRIS
                    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

That is a good point Chris..
                      Makes sense, and in fact may take the realism to a new level.
                      Thanks for the advice.

Thanks again Andrew!! Got your e-mail.

Trevor
                      My HomeTheater S.E.
                      Sonically Enhanced
                      C5
                      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Dean McManis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • May 2003

All three of my front speakers are behind my screen and the sound is great. Stewart included a audio attenuating box to compensate for the perforated screen, but the sound was much better than I though and I didn't use it.

I agree that with a pull down screen and widescreen movies that even without a perforated screen you could aim the projector higher and not fully cover the speakers and get good sound.

With a 100" screen the height of a 2.35:1 move is only 34", and with 16:9 it's 43" which should still leave you with enough space to not block your actual speakers.

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"