X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Darkest Hour

I am of two minds on this film. From a cinematic standpoint, the direction is quite good, the acting ranges from very good to outstanding (Oldman deserved all the accolades he received for his portrayal of Churchill). A rousing, even inspirational film on its surface.

As an historian who has spent nearly 20 years researching and using historical feature films as a teaching tool, the matter is more complicated. This excellent review (should be read after seeing the film) gets it just about right in terms of its strengths and weaknesses as history. I rarely indulge in simplistic nitpicking (and frequently admonish colleagues who do), and I often give wide latitude to such films in recognition of the very different purposes between a commercial feature film about an historical topic and an academic work on the same subject. However, the reviewer does a good job of dealing fairly with its inaccuracies while acknowledging the usefulness of a significant historical argument made by the filmmakers (I'm vague here to avoid spoilers).

For someone wanting to watch a good movie, with an excellent performance by the lead, this one delivers if the subject is of interest. For anyone wanting to pursue the topic further, I recommend the linked review (after the film).

I will definitely be making use of this film in my international 20th century history course next summer, along with the review (and at least one other I've found, for its perspective on Clement Attlee, though it is not as scholarly as the other review linked above).
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

saw it a while ago, thought it was excellent in all aspects (other than the points you make regarding the historical accuracy, of course).....:T
    Oldman was amazing, imho....
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

That's an excellent analysis of the film's veracity by John Broich.

I enjoyed "Darkest Hour" much more than the 2017 film "Churchill" which was a complete misrepresentation of the historical record.

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
        That's an excellent analysis of the film's veracity by John Broich.

I enjoyed "Darkest Hour" much more than the 2017 film "Churchill" which was a complete misrepresentation of the historical record.

Nigel.
        Nigel, my old mate!!!!

hope you are well, dear friend!!!!!
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"