X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobG
    • Nov 2015

Rotel RA-1570 issue

Hi guys,
    I bought a Rotel RA-1570 about 5 months ago and love it. However, it just recently started making a weird popping/crackling noise from the unit itself. I'm going to take it back in the next couple of days but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. It sounds like it is coming from the back right of the unit and has happened intermittently three times while playing music from a variety of sources. Again, there is no distortion from the speakers, just the unit itself. Pretty disappointed since this was a major purchase and I'm sure they will have it for at least a month while they try to find the issue and replace parts etc.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Loud crackling/popping noises from the unit shouldn't take a month to find. Unplug the unit. Don't use it. The sounds you describe , emanating from the inside , could very well be unregulated current in places it shouldn't be. I wouldn't even touch the box before I unplugged it , or for 30 minutes after so the capacitors can discharge first. This may seem , or be , excessively cautious but without seeing the unit in person I try to err on the side of caution. Especially if the power cord enters the back in the area of the noises.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• RobG
      • Nov 2015

Thanks Lee. The sound is from the opposite side of the power cable. I bought this from magnolia at Best Buy, so with shipping to a repair center (wherever that is), repair time, and shipping back I'm betting on a month and hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Since I've had the unit less than 6 months it would be nice if they just replaced it but I don't see that happening.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

It could be something as harmless as a bug with a candy bar , LOL , but anything that plugs in to the wall has access to enough voltage to do real damage. Have you called BB? I think they have a repair center (although I agree a new one would be a nice gesture) , but I don't know if it's an authorized Rotel repair center. At only 6 months , it would be nice if BB at least offered to take care of all that. In another thread there is a discussion of the potential pitfalls of Rotel being in BB. One of our members who checked in works for B&W Group. Maybe Patrick will jump in with a suggestion for getting you taken care of.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• mucke
          • Jul 2005

I have the same problem whith 2 units.
          The first one was broken after only 2 days.
          I got a new one on the warranty.
          This unit works fine for 6 month, and the same problems again.
          I go back to the store and the repair it on the warranty.
          After this a have no more problems whith it.
          It works fine for 2 years.
          The shop say it was the input stage ( dont know if it call that in english ) that has broken.
          If you have warrenty left you should turn it back.
          This is a common errors on this unit I'm afraid.

Comment

• RobG
            • Nov 2015

Thanks for the input mucke. I tried a search on known issues/problems with this unit and couldn't find anything.

Comment

• Patrick Butler
              • Jan 2014

Hi RobG,

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue. Not a common problem here in the States (my first time hearing about it, and we sell many RA-1570s.) The input relays are connected on the side of the unit that you are describing. It would be interesting to know more about your particular system. Could you PM me what you have connected to your system (and whether or not the sources are attached digitally or via analog inputs?) One way or another we will find a way of making you a happy customer.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
              B&W Group North America

Originally posted by RobG
              Thanks for the input mucke. I tried a search on known issues/problems with this unit and couldn't find anything.

Comment

• mucke
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RobG
                Hi guys,
                I bought a Rotel RA-1570 about 5 months ago and love it. However, it just recently started making a weird popping/crackling noise from the unit itself. I'm going to take it back in the next couple of days but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. It sounds like it is coming from the back right of the unit and has happened intermittently three times while playing music from a variety of sources. Again, there is no distortion from the speakers, just the unit itself. Pretty disappointed since this was a major purchase and I'm sure they will have it for at least a month while they try to find the issue and replace parts etc.
                Dont read it right.
                I have popping/crakling sound but it came out frome speakers not the unit itself.
                sorry

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

LOL. Ignore my concerns regarding electricity. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• RobG
                    • Nov 2015

Any idea what could be the problem? I took it in, so hopefully they will fix it quickly.

Comment

• RobG
                      • Nov 2015

Well, I just wanted to follow up on this post. The BB/Magnolia guys had my amp for three weeks before deciding it was not fixable. I ordered a replacement on the 24th of December and haven't heard anything yet. There was some discussion as to whether or not this model was available in their warehouse. After being without it for over a month I almost don't miss it, sad to say.

Comment

• PowerCommander
                        • Dec 2015

I'm beginning to be discouraged from any Rotel period. Seems at this point the more I read about Rotels the more I see issues with them. Always an issue with just about any models I've read on so far. Only reason I got on this forum is cause I recently acquired a second hand RSX-1057 and does not work at all. I have 30-40 year or marantz and mcintosh systems with no issues...

Comment

• ZorgSpiff
                          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by PowerCommander
                          I'm beginning to be discouraged from any Rotel period. Seems at this point the more I read about Rotels the more I see issues with them. Always an issue with just about any models I've read on so far. Only reason I got on this forum is cause I recently acquired a second hand RSX-1057 and does not work at all. I have 30-40 year or marantz and mcintosh systems with no issues...
                          I guess I'm lucky. I bought a RA-931 mk2 in 2000, a RA-1520 in 2012, and a RA-1570 as soon as it was released. Never had any problems with the amplifiers. The old RA-931 is still going strong in the basement.

Comment

• RobG
                            • Nov 2015

I did get my replacement and so far no issues. I was pretty happy with my previous Rotel amp and I still use the CD player.

Comment

• BrendanN
                              • Jun 2016

Got my Rotel RA-1570 (and RCD-1570) about 13 months ago from Harvey Norman here in NZ and noticed an occasional popping/crackling noise about 4-5 months ago but didn't really investigate any further. It happened while playing a couple of CD's and also when I had my PC hooked up to it. I played a few CD's this morning and it started doing it again so I paid more attention - RobG, your description of "...popping/crackling noise from the unit itself.... It sounds like it is coming from the back right of the unit and has happened intermittently...from a variety of sources" is an exact description of what mine's been doing, including the specific area the popping/crackling noise comes from.

I took it back to Harvey Norman about an hour ago and they indicated they would do some testing themselves but that their Rotel supplier was very good at responding to faults. We shall see.........

Comment

• BrendanN
                                • Jun 2016

Got my RA-1570 back after 2 1/2 weeks - Harvey Norman sent it back tyo the distributor - they replaced the part they claimed was causing the issue (forgot what they told me it was) and it was issue-free, until 2 days ago when I put on my Amy Winehouse CD and the popping and crackling (same issue as before) occurred on the first 3 songs. Immediately returned it again. I'll pay more attention to what they tell me this time and report back.

Comment

• dan87951
                                  • Nov 2005

These are complex devices so sometimes things will happen. It's how well a manufacture takes care of a customer that will determine if I will come back. When B&W moved majority of their speaker assembly (except 800) to China, I definitely noticed some teething problems with quality. I had loose speaker terminals, loose tweeter, loose crossover, and decals in the wrong spot, but B&W took care of all those problem for me promptly with no questions asked.
                                  dan87951
                                  audio guru

Comment

• leroy
                                    • Nov 2016

I have had the same popping/crackling problem with my RA-1570. I am currently on my 3rd unit. The first lasted close to a year, the second unit 2 months. I have had the third since September and it isn't making the popping/crackling noise but when I play music over USB it makes a sound the same as when you change sources. It is happening every 10 - 20 mins. I can live with it most of the time but when I listen to a music streaming site like Tidal the switch interrupts the stream. Meaning I need to press play 2 to 3 times an album. I have been quite happy with Rotels warranty. They have helped each time no questions asked. But I am very disappointed with the quality of their product. Lets hope the fourth one works out better...

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"