• Dec 2005

Buffalo IIISE and Unbalancer DAC/Linestage

Built a delta-sigma DAC/Line Stage as shown below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Buffalo-Unbalancer DAC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	871363

The DAC module is the "Buffalo IIISE-DAC", which is based on the ESS Sabre32 Reference (ES9018) DAC chip and accepts direct DSD, I2S and S/PDIF inputs supporting up to 32-bit/192kHz.

A liner power supply is used to feed a low noise regulator (SuperTeddyReg) that provides the 5.25 volts for the DAC module.

The volume control is done in the digital domain of the Buffalo IIISE via a linear potentiometer.

The output stage is a tube line stage called the "Unbalancer", which was designed by John Broskie:

Name:	Unbalancer.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	871364

All capacitors and resistors were upgraded. A separate tube rectifier power supply (Janus) is used to provide the B+ voltage and DC heater voltage for the line stage.

Duelund PIO 1uf / 630VDC, CAST-PIO-Cu Coupling Capacitors (I like these) are used:

Name:	Duelund Coupling Cap.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	871367

DSD and PCM signals from a modified Denon 1920 multi-player are extracted from the player by tapping directly to the chip pins as shown and noted below:

Name:	Pin connections.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	871366

Per the following pin connections:

DVD-1920 DSD -> Buffalo
    BCK (Pin 37) -> DCK
    DSD1 (Pin 38) -> D1
    DSD2 (Pin 39) -> D2
    G (Pad CS52) -> G

DVD-1920 PCM -> Buffalo
    PBCK (Pin 50) -> DCK
    PLRCK (Pin 51) -> D1
    PDATA1 (Pin 46) -> D2
    G (Pad CS52) -> G

And distributed to the DAC via an RJ45 cable:

Name:	RJ45.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	871365

I think it sounds great.

Next step is to build or buy a music server to play downloaded HD recordings into the DAC.

Cheers

Kris
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Awesome! I've been wanting to build a Buffalo since the original announcement, I was part of the crowd that begged them to make it lol. I'm still considering using it in my car project though possibly.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Very nice.
      I don't know anything about building DACs or amps or anything. It is something that I think about from time to time, but just haven't gotten around to it.
      Is this a kit, or bits of different kits, or original designs? Got any links?
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Kool stuff, Chris! The tapping in to the Denon reminds me of what I had to do with the first Audiopraise board, installing it for extracting/converting the DSD stream to high res PCM.

You picked a good coupling cap! :T
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kvardas
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
          Very nice.
          I don't know anything about building DACs or amps or anything. It is something that I think about from time to time, but just haven't gotten around to it.
          Is this a kit, or bits of different kits, or original designs? Got any links?
          It is a combination of multiple modules:

The DAC module can be found here:

You can download the manual for it off their site.

The linear power supply was from parts-express. I used a small module with an adjustable output, which I set for about 14 volts.

I used a superteddy reg, which I ordered for an input voltage of 13v and an output voltage of 5.25v under load (this low noise reg needs a minimum 6v headroom:

The unbalancer tube module coverts the balanced output of the DAC module to single ended:

The manual can be found here:

I upgraded all of the capacitors and resistors. In particular resistors 1 and 2 should be set to 50R. I used a nice neohm wirewound resistor.

I also used an separate B+ power supply module with upgraded bypass caps:

The manual can be found here:

The nice duelund coupling caps are on sale and can be found here:

I used a two-position power switch to power the 12.6 v transformer for the heaters and a separate transformer for the B+ voltage and rectifier tube voltage:

The volume control is done in the digital domain of the DAC. I used a Chinese ebay remote control pot for the volume control. You likely will need to replace the motorized pot with a linear 10k pot.

You'll need three transformers:

A approx 15v toroid for the DAC.
          A 12.6 EI transformer for the heater voltage. I got mine from RadioShack and painted it black.

A high voltage EI transformer:

You could go a simpler route as use the solid state power supply on the unbalancer if you wish and go with a lower voltage transformer.

Those are the main components. I and a friend who did the soiled ring and helped with the design put together a detailed schematic. I could scan this on a flatbed scanner and send to you.

You could go with one of the solid state output modules from twistedpairaudio audio if you did not want to trouble yourself with a tune output stage.

Regards

Kris

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Wow. Thanks for all the links. Lots of info there. Skimming the DAC manual now.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"