This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tktran
    • Jan 2005

Taking in-room measurements- apart from the room modes- it's quite an incredible speaker!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 1.53.19 pm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	859819

Comment

• TEK
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by tktran
      Thanks Jim!

This is my first speaker in the WMTMW layout, first ribbon tweeter, first down firing ports.

If I could give tips to other builders, I should have made plinth/base a little wider and deeper- perhaps 2" per side, and add some mass-loaded cabinet deadening material in the bottom of the cabinets to lower the centre of gravity. For 90% of builders, it probably wouldn't matter, but I have 2 young children and a partner who worries that the kids may push/pull them and they could fall over on them. So she wants me to have them secured to prevent that from happening.

Some kids furniture eg. bookcases/cupboards these days are fixed to the wall, so I've been thinking of how to do that. Maybe a couple of 18" long L brackets to the wall....

Also, cut your holes AFTER you have received your drivers. There's some variation, particularly in the NE123W drivers in the depth (due to integrated foam gasket and terminal block connector). I had to go back to deepen the rebate for 6 drivers, and cut notches for 4...
      Double sided tape?

Btw: how did you get that finish?
      -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• tktran
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by TEK
        Double sided tape?

Wall mounted.

Btw: how did you get that finish?
        A few coats of sealer, a few coats of pigmented lacquer, then finished off with some clear coats of two pack lacquer, sanded lightly between coats.

Here's my in-room response at 1 metre, as measured by Dirac Live (1/8 octave smoothed), and impedance measurements.
        Since I kept the original Statement II dimensions and internal volume, but use the newer non-shielded RS-225 drivers, the vented box turning is 4Hz lower at 20Hz.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tktran; 01 August 2015, 13:06 Saturday.

Comment

• tktran
          • Jan 2005

I will pre-empt the question... the reason why they are wall mounted is because my better half was worried that they may tip over. I've trained my young children to listen and not touch. But kids are an inquisitive lot, and apparently there are more than just a few cases AV equipment tipping over and injuring or killing children, and this got her in a bit of panic:

Enormous flat-screens are in millions of homes, but come with a risk that many parents may not realize: children can be seriously hurt in a TV tip-over.The number of kids injured by a TV falling on them grew 125 percent between 1990 and 2011, according to a new study of emergency room records that calls for greater prevention efforts. Overall, more than 17,000 children under age 18 were treated e

It took me awhile to figure out how to wall mount these 100lbs per side mammoths, and still allow the distance-to-wall & toe-in to be adult-user adjustable.

Ever since the speakers were fixed to the wall, I get a lot more compliments about the sound. My guess is now that she's relaxed, things do sound better.:roll:

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"