X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickRS
    • Jan 2014

Choosing a new design...

Since I've discovered this forum, I've been reading a lot. And that doesn't make things easier...

First let me tell you where I come from. At this moment I'm listening to the Jordan VTL Full Range speakers with the well known JX92S drivers. I build these speakers some 8 years ago and I still think they can do a magic trick! Using an tube amp they really make some recordings come to life. I guess the experience of Mr. Jordan pays off. I also like the simplicity that comes with these speakers. No filters, no phase issues, just pure music.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140128_002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	871289

Name:	JX92S-vented-tl.gif
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	871288

But they also have their shortcomings. Certainly in the bass department. And thats exactly why I'm looking to make the next step. So after a lot of reading I found the Model One speakers of Tom Evans (TEAD). This guy makes some pretty good amps and is regarded as someone who knows what he's doing. And these speakers also have a nice simplicity to them. Its a FAST system that also uses the Jordan JX92S drivers. The LF is done by the HiVi m8a driver. The Jordan is limited at 120hz just by the volume behind it. The woofer is low passed with just a high quality inductor. And although it might sound a bit flawed, the people who have heard these speakers are very enthousiastic about them. Headphones for the room, someone called them.

Name:	tom-evans-b-184x300.jpg
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	871290

So I bought the HiVi m8's, I still have the Jordans. Why not start? Well, when I model these drivers in WinISD, the HiVi will not go much lower than 50hz in a closed cabinet the size of the Tom Evans speakers....

And that's when I started looking at other designs using the HiVi driver and found Jon's m8ta's. First thing is that they look great. And after a bit of reading I sent Jon a message last week. Now he will sent me the files needed for these speaker, but he also said that now might be a good time to have a second look at his design. Certainly because the used tweeter is not in production any more, and secondly, well, I guess just because he can!

And he should not have mailed that, because now my head is full of ideas
    Should I use other woofers?
    Or should I use two woofers?
    Or can the design be altered in a FAST set up?
    Or or or...:??

Tbh at this moment I think I should hold on to the design of Jon. Even using the HiVi drivers as I have new ones at hand.

What would you guys do?
    Last edited by MickRS; 28 January 2014, 13:58 Tuesday.
    One is want and one is need. And I want what I need.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I design my own so can't say I'll be much help. However, my Nebbiolo is using a driver many consider full range as a mid. I find it lacking full range, but the goal is to keep that magic without the compromises. It may be a project of interest to you just from that perspective. In hoping to get first sound soon and just want to avoid to much tear down to complete finishing. Maybe this weekend. It's not how most would execute this design I'm sure and I may discover why.

That said, I've never heard a good recording of a good performance that was anything but worse with tubes and full range. I'm a stickler for invisible crossover handoff and coherence... Or so I think. Probably fail at that to someone that prefers single driver still, who knows.

At any rate, the M8A is very different from what you have. Different magic. How much of a journey so you want to take? It can be a blast.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• MickRS
      • Jan 2014

Keeping that magic without the compromises is exactly what I'm looking for... And I'm not afraid to try something different. That's why I'm drawn to Jons' m8ta's. Can't wait to see the actual plans...

But I will look at your project to. I know of some designs using the fr Jordan as a mid as well. Which I can imagine would work out fine. But for me the issue is that I really need help in the design part. Building I have plenty of experience with, but to get the right XO with bsc and maybe Zobel is still a bit voodoo to me. I guess thats probably also why FR is popular in diy speakers...
      One is want and one is need. And I want what I need.

Comment

• Carl V
        • Apr 2005

You are describing a extended range Hybrid speaker system.
        I have owned Lowther based Beauhorn, Vivaldi, academy & Horning Agathon.
        I enjoyed them all & was frustrated by them all. All speakers must balance
        many factors...and we as listeners must likewise balance our many needs & wants.

I have heard Von Schweikert Audio UNIFIELD speakers. These are Fostex
        based Hybrids. They do many things quite well.

I'd look at these designs as inspiration. AJ had a coax based system which
        might provide some inspiration as well. He astutely chose a powered woofer
        section. Doing so frees up the Extended range driver & the main amplifier.

good luck

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"