Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rod#S
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by stuofsci02
    Now with the 801D I told my wife there is nowhere to go from here.. I am at the top... Then she said why did the guy trade them back into the store.... I said... To upgrade ops:
    LOL...great comment, there is just no end. Within the B&W ranks alone there is the 800 Diamonds then the Nautilus then it's onto other manufacturers. I think all we can really do is say to ourselves this will do for the next few years, anything beyond that, who knows, the skies the limit :B
    B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Rod#S
      • Oct 2010

Hey stuofsci02, did you inquire of your dealer the price of 800 diamonds? With the 802's being 5k more than what you were thinking you could get the 801's for I was just curious how much more the 800's would have been. Something tells me your 801's probably come in around the price of a single 800 if not less than that which would be amazing.
      B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Rod#S
        Hey stuofsci02, did you inquire of your dealer the price of 800 diamonds? With the 802's being 5k more than what you were thinking you could get the 801's for I was just curious how much more the 800's would have been. Something tells me your 801's probably come in around the price of a single 800 if not less than that which would be amazing.
        Rod,

I think the price of the 800Di is ~$25k. I am not 100% sure.. I know the 802Di lists at ~$16k, but they will sell them at $15k or less.

I ended up getting the 801D pair for $9,735 + tax + $200 for delivery and installation (I live about an hour from the store and they need 2 guys to move them, so I think this is fair).

Cheers

Stuart
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Alright.. I visited the store to have a once over before they send them over to me tomorrow.. I got some nice pictures while I was there.. I thought I would share some eye candy... Those are my 801D beside 802Di and 804Di. There is also a set of 803Di in behind, and some PM1 and 805Di.

This is the stores 800 series room. When you audition here, he moves everything out of the way towards the back of the room and you get a fantastic setup..

Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
            • Oct 2010

Now these are some cool pictures, very nice thanks for posting. I absolutely love how the speakers were placed beside each other to show how one compares to the other in size, very imformative for me. Dang those 801's are HUGE!.

So under 10k, great deal man, great deal. At 25k/pair a single 800 would be more than you paid. Wild!

So since you had to pay tax, do you also get warranty?

Yeah having 2 people to move them will be a must. My dealer hired two guys to bring my 802's over.

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

Now these are some cool pictures, very nice thanks for posting. I absolutely love how the speakers were placed beside each other to show how one compares to the other in size, very imformative for me. Dang those 801's are HUGE!.

So under 10k, great deal man, great deal. At 25k/pair a single 800 would be more than you paid. Wild!

So since you had to pay tax, do you also get warranty?

Yeah having 2 people to move them will be a must. My dealer hired two guys to bring my 802's over.
              Thanks Rod,

I thought you guys would get a kick out of having all those speakers side by side. The 801Ds are really a beast..

We played them on a 60 watt Cary Tube amp and all I can say is ... effortless bass...

There will be no B&W warranty on these since they were originally purchased in 2007. These are used speakers that the store had on trade. They are certainly in 10/10 condition though... Might as well be new.
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• leo2498
                • Feb 2012

Thanks Rod,

I thought you guys would get a kick out of having all those speakers side by side. The 801Ds are really a beast..

We played them on a 60 watt Cary Tube amp and all I can say is ... effortless bass...

There will be no B&W warranty on these since they were originally purchased in 2007. These are used speakers that the store had on trade. They are certainly in 10/10 condition though... Might as well be new.
                :T congrats Stuart, they are a huge speakers jajaja the 802Di look so tiny to side of them. ;x(
                Leo,
                Saludos
                My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• Rod#S
                  • Oct 2010

10/10, very nice, they definitely looked new. I have only bought one piece of used equipment and I didn't pay tax on that because it was a private sale but even with a store selling them I didn't think there would be tax because taxes were all ready paid on them when they were originally sold. I guess this must have something to do with it being a retailer doing the sale?

Comment

• stuofsci02
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

10/10, very nice, they definitely looked new. I have only bought one piece of used equipment and I didn't pay tax on that because it was a private sale but even with a store selling them I didn't think there would be tax because taxes were all ready paid on them when they were originally sold. I guess this must have something to do with it being a retailer doing the sale?
                    When you trade the speakers back to the store the amount you agree on gets reduced from the new speaker transaction.. So basically you play less tax on the new speakers..

So lets say they guy who traded in the 801D got $8000 trade off the 800Di, then he would only pay $17,000 + tax. So now the store has to charge tax on the trades.. This is pretty typical of retail trades..

Of course private you don't have to except with cars... F-ing gov't
                    Main System:
                    B&W 801D
                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                    Oppo BDP-105
                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                    B&W CM7
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Emotiva UPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Pedro
                      • Jan 2006

Wonderful speakers and great deal you got. They look fuckin nice, and the rosenut finishing is the way to go. Hope B&W bring they back on 800 series probably in 2015 when they must update.

Comment

• Rod#S
                        • Oct 2010

When you trade the speakers back to the store the amount you agree on gets reduced from the new speaker transaction.. So basically you play less tax on the new speakers..

So lets say they guy who traded in the 801D got $8000 trade off the 800Di, then he would only pay $17,000 + tax. So now the store has to charge tax on the trades.. This is pretty typical of retail trades..

Of course private you don't have to except with cars... F-ing gov't
                        Ah gotcha. And agreed, the government sucks.

Comment

• dukester
                          • Sep 2010

Not an expert with room response but do Think you'll be able to get away with positioning your subs to the rear, for better bass distribution?

Off topic but I know you're an Oppo fan...can't wait for the BDP-105!
                          McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by dukester
                            Not an expert with room response but do Think you'll be able to get away with positioning your subs to the rear, for better bass distribution?

Off topic but I know you're an Oppo fan...can't wait for the BDP-105!
                            I will only be using the subs for movies (I hope). I am not sure how I will have to position these, but I am not too worried about it since I am not super critical of movie sound.. I may stack these in the corner..
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009

Alright Ladies and Gents...

They just arrived.. I have not listened to them yet... Here we go!

Main System:
                              B&W 801D
                              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                              Oppo BDP-105
                              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                              B&W CM7
                              Emotiva UMC-1
                              Emotiva UPA-2
                              Oppo BDP-83SE
                              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
                                • Oct 2010

Wow what a difference in the room compared to the 804's. They even make the tv look small

Congrats, a new era of listening begins

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2009

Yes.. That is the first thing the wife said... And it is a 60" TV... I guess I just need to get one of those new Sharp Aquos 90" TVs... I saw one the other day at the same place I got the 801s
                                  Main System:
                                  B&W 801D
                                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                  Oppo BDP-105
                                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                  B&W CM7
                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                  Emotiva UPA-2
                                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Pedro
                                    • Jan 2006

Fuckin awesome, and the room looks to have enough space for them. My only advice is moving the couch a little step back, so you can get a better image and soundstage.

I´m very glad you got them into your home. The 802Di and old 800D cant stand to their big brother 801D ;x(

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Pedro
                                      Fuckin awesome, and the room looks to have enough space for them. My only advice is moving the couch a little step back, so you can get a better image and soundstage.

I´m very glad you got them into your home. The 802Di and old 800D cant stand to their big brother 801D ;x(
                                      Thanks Pedro

I will experiment with couch position tomorrow.. Right now it is set as a 10ft equal triangle...
                                      Main System:
                                      B&W 801D
                                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                      Oppo BDP-105
                                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                      B&W CM7
                                      Emotiva UMC-1
                                      Emotiva UPA-2
                                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2009

So far I have listened for about an hour..

I can say these are amazing.. Best speaker I have ever heard.. I will not count 802Di since I only listened for 30 min at the shop, so I cannot fairly compare..

I can't believe how dynamic these are, and how they are so holographic.. Even though my 804s could keep up bass wise with the two 12" subs, the 801D are just sooooo smooth...

I like Chris Botti trumpet playing, but I found with my 804s the highs could be a bit piercing (I assume because of the metal tweeter)... That hash/ring is gone with these..

So far worth every penny...
                                        Main System:
                                        B&W 801D
                                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                        Oppo BDP-105
                                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                        B&W CM7
                                        Emotiva UMC-1
                                        Emotiva UPA-2
                                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Pedro
                                          • Jan 2006

Keep listening... Depending the source you listen will get more surprises especially at extreme high-levels where Its bass outshines.

I can feel you are satisfied with the trade and even loading them with your chord amps I think you got a better result than using the 804S. Their smoothness is along with the old matrix series the most sweet speakers B&W has ever produced. I could be criticized but there´s no 802Di, 800Di with the same sweet highs B&W 801D has. That´s why I think if B&W bring they back in the future they shall return the best sounding ones

Comment

• RebelMan
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

I like Chris Botti trumpet playing, but I found with my 804s the highs could be a bit piercing (I assume because of the metal tweeter)... That hash/ring is gone with these..
                                            The aluminium tweets are only partially to blame. A slightly better crossover and a more refined front-end would have obfuscated the disparity you are noticing now.
                                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

I could be criticized but there´s no 802Di, 800Di with the same sweet highs B&W 801D has.
                                              You should be criticized.

The 801 will remain a legacy model. Enjoy it while you have it. :T

Comment

• tanwn
                                                • Jul 2004

looking at the cabinet and woofer size difference of the 801D compare to the others, 804,802. It defintely appears the the 801D will offer you more slam, bass extension and even more so when you whack the speakers at high volume. I think the slam will be a notch better than 800Di? Any comments.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by tanwn
                                                  looking at the cabinet and woofer size difference of the 801D compare to the others, 804,802. It defintely appears the the 801D will offer you more slam, bass extension and even more so when you whack the speakers at high volume. I think the slam will be a notch better than 800Di? Any comments.
                                                  I doubt you will ever know.. It would be very difficult to have the 801D and the 800Di in the exact same position within enough time to accurately tell a difference.
                                                  Main System:
                                                  B&W 801D
                                                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                  Oppo BDP-105
                                                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                  B&W CM7
                                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                                  Emotiva UPA-2
                                                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2009

Alright guys.. These suckers are amazing.. I will write more about my experiences soon, but for now these suckers blow my socks off..

The 804s is a great speaker, but these are really in a whole other league...
                                                    Last edited by stuofsci02; 16 September 2012, 10:21 Sunday.
                                                    Main System:
                                                    B&W 801D
                                                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                    Oppo BDP-105
                                                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                    B&W CM7
                                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                                    Emotiva UPA-2
                                                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                      • May 2005

Congratulations, great to hear that the upgrade was worth the time and money invested! Man those speakers are big but they are also a great style and design match to the looks and esthetics of your room. What does your wife think of the sound and looks? It takes a special woman to let us live with these in our shared living spaces :T

Comment

• mpauline
                                                        • Dec 2003

Congratulations Stu! Amazing set up. Those babies are huge when I look at them next to my 803Di's.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
                                                          Congratulations, great to hear that the upgrade was worth the time and money invested! Man those speakers are big but they are also a great style and design match to the looks and esthetics of your room. What does your wife think of the sound and looks? It takes a special woman to let us live with these in our shared living spaces :T
                                                          Rick,

It is awesome.. I didn't think it would be as good as it is.. Really happy with the results.

The wife seems indifferent to the whole thing. She just looks at me an laughs. She did listen to them for an hour on Friday night and there was one song that she likes where we could hear another singer in the background that we had never heard before.

I have never listened to the song critically and I don't think she has either, but both of us looked at each other when the extra voice was just audible.. I guess the old cliche is true.. I am hearing things I have never heard before..

Cheers!
                                                          Main System:
                                                          B&W 801D
                                                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                          Oppo BDP-105
                                                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                          B&W CM7
                                                          Emotiva UMC-1
                                                          Emotiva UPA-2
                                                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by mpauline
                                                            Congratulations Stu! Amazing set up. Those babies are huge when I look at them next to my 803Di's.
                                                            Thanks! I bet you recognize the pics from Regency...

I was actually surprised. The 803Di is a very tall speaker..
                                                            Main System:
                                                            B&W 801D
                                                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                            Oppo BDP-105
                                                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                            B&W CM7
                                                            Emotiva UMC-1
                                                            Emotiva UPA-2
                                                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                              • Oct 2010

So now that you have had a few days with the speakers how do you find they compare with the subs for the low end? Have you by chance tried running them full range and then watched a movie with your subs off by any chance just to see how dual 15's handle things differently then 2 dedicated 12's?

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2009

So now that you have had a few days with the speakers how do you find they compare with the subs for the low end? Have you by chance tried running them full range and then watched a movie with your subs off by any chance just to see how dual 15's handle things differently then 2 dedicated 12's?
                                                                I have actually been on a business trip and was busy over the weekend.. I only have about 2 hours of listening so far and all was stereo music. Once I have spent more time I will put together a proper review...

Cheers

Stuart
                                                                Main System:
                                                                B&W 801D
                                                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                Oppo BDP-105
                                                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                B&W CM7
                                                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Rod#S
                                                                  • Oct 2010

Thanks, sucks that you haven't had the time to play wih your new toys

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2009

Thanks, sucks that you haven't had the time to play wih your new toys
                                                                    Yeah.. I am sitting here in Newark Airport where most flights have been cancelled (due to weather) waiting for my Porter flight which has been delayed 2 hours.

I want to be home now so I can listen!

At least it looks like I will get home tonight!
                                                                    Main System:
                                                                    B&W 801D
                                                                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                    Oppo BDP-105
                                                                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                    B&W CM7
                                                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                    Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2008

late to the party but a big congratulations on your new additions. they look like they belong in your space...so fitting!

Cheers,
                                                                      -H
                                                                      Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                                                      Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                                                      B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                                                      Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                                                      Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                                                                        late to the party but a big congratulations on your new additions. they look like they belong in your space...so fitting!

Cheers,
                                                                        -H
                                                                        Thanks Hedgehog...

I think I will get some time to listen to them and review this weekend!
                                                                        Main System:
                                                                        B&W 801D
                                                                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                        Oppo BDP-105
                                                                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                        B&W CM7
                                                                        Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                        Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2009
                                                                          • 1241

Alright I think I am ready to give my initial review.

My comparison is against my 804s which I ran in the same room on the same equipment. With the 804s I ran two sealed 12" Emotiva Ultra 12 subs crossed over at ~60Hz. The 801D's I am running all by themselves.

I loved my 804s and they did sound great. With the two subs providing very balanced tight bass, it was quite a nice setup. It did not lack bass, and had great balance and soundstange.

Well onto the 801D. I have had about 5-6 hours of listening with them and WOW. It was hard to believe that there could be more open sound then what I was getting with my 804s, but here it is. Probably a combination of the Marlan head, and better crossovers.

I have a great room for acoustics which I built just for this, with acoustic panels and such. The front width of the room is ~18ft and just under 8ft tall and I get a soundstage from every part. Each instrument is discrete an has a very 3 dimensional feel where there is a massive sense of depth.

Now for the biggest improvement.... Dynamics.. These beasts are just so much more dynamic then my 804s. The 804s seemed a little compressed or flat especially during loud passages. The 801D just sizzle. Horns have a realism about them now that I was missing before. I used to think on some tracks that the dynamic range of the music was compressed, but it was actually my speaker (struggling???). This alone is worth it!

The bass, although not more then with my subs, just seems so silky smooth. There is not a much punch (which may have to do with my amp) as with the subs, but even at quiet volumes it has a wonderful presence..

Lastly, I am loving the diamond tweeter. I like Chris Botti, but found on high notes I would get some harshness and ring. This is now gone..

Compared to my 804s there is nothing they do worse and do quite a lot better. Worth the price... Absolutely for me.. These speakers are just wonderful..

Thanks,

Stuart
                                                                          Main System:
                                                                          B&W 801D
                                                                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                          Oppo BDP-105
                                                                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                          B&W CM7
                                                                          Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                          Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Pedro
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 303

Congrats, sounds you'll never get enough from them, and that´s what I think when listening to my B&W 801D. That's the true worthy upgrade where you never feel something missing

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2009
                                                                              • 1241

#83
                                                                              Congrats, sounds you'll never get enough from them, and that´s what I think when listening to my B&W 801D. That's the true worthy upgrade where you never feel something missing
                                                                              To be honest, I had this little worry before they were delivered that they would sound very similar to my 804s with the two subs.

Well, my worries were unfounded. While they have a similar sound, the 801s are so much better in many areas that I felt the 804s already did so well in.

I had the 804s for close to 3 years, and I like to keep a speaker until I feel I can start to pick out the faults very easily. I could have went on with the 804s for much longer as they really are nice speakers. It is, however, quite amazing how the 801D point out the faults of the 804s that I didn't even know were there..

Cheers
                                                                              Main System:
                                                                              B&W 801D
                                                                              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                              Oppo BDP-105
                                                                              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                              B&W CM7
                                                                              Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                              Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                              Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 1199

#84
                                                                                Poor old 804s. :-)

I often wonder about the trend to narrow baffle small driver speakers when I look at the 801s. I have not heard them however, my experience is with the 802 and 800s in store only. Of course the Marlan head gives you an appropriate baffle size for the mid/highs. The cabinet does put the mid/ tweeter higher up, but with such a big speaker you are most likely sitting further away as well.

They suit your room very well I think, such big speakers demand a dedicated room.

Enjoy.
                                                                                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                                                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2009
                                                                                  • 1241

#85
                                                                                  Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                                                                  Poor old 804s. :-)

I often wonder about the trend to narrow baffle small driver speakers when I look at the 801s. I have not heard them however, my experience is with the 802 and 800s in store only. Of course the Marlan head gives you an appropriate baffle size for the mid/highs. The cabinet does put the mid/ tweeter higher up, but with such a big speaker you are most likely sitting further away as well.

They suit your room very well I think, such big speakers demand a dedicated room.

Enjoy.
                                                                                  This is an interesting point about cabinet width. I often thought about this between the 804s and the 803s. I presumed the 804s would sound more open then the 803s and that may well be the case.

Obviously the narrow baffle design should offer a more open sound, but as you mentioned the marlan head is the correct size and these speakers sound even more open and amazing then the 804s with the narrower cabinet.

I think at the bass frequencies the wave lengths are too long to interact with the baffle of the speaker. I can say this for sure.. I would take 1 x 15" over an array of 6.5" drivers all day long..
                                                                                  Main System:
                                                                                  B&W 801D
                                                                                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                  Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                  B&W CM7
                                                                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                  Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3139

#86
                                                                                    While they have a similar sound, the 801s are so much better in many areas that I felt the 804s already did so well in.
                                                                                    This reminds me, contrarily, the first time I heard the 804D2 powered by a Classe CP-800 and CA-2300 nearly two years ago. I thought "Who needs a pair of 800D when the 804D2 can sound this good!"

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2009
                                                                                      • 1241

#87
                                                                                      Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                      This reminds me, contrarily, the first time I heard the 804D2 powered by a Classe CP-800 and CA-2300 nearly two years ago. I thought "Who needs a pair of 800D when the 804D2 can sound this good!"
                                                                                      Yeah.. I agree.. I could certainly be happy with the 804Di...
                                                                                      Main System:
                                                                                      B&W 801D
                                                                                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                      Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                      B&W CM7
                                                                                      Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                      Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• leo2498
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2012
                                                                                        • 370

#88
                                                                                        Yeah.. I agree.. I could certainly be happy with the 804Di...
                                                                                        Hi Stuart but I wondering if the accurate bass that the bigger driver give you more pleasure obvious in a right room for them or I'm mistake?
                                                                                        Leo,
                                                                                        Saludos
                                                                                        My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2009
                                                                                          • 1241

#89
                                                                                          Originally posted by leo2498
                                                                                          Hi Stuart but I wondering if the accurate bass that the bigger driver give you more pleasure obvious in a right room for them or I'm mistake?
                                                                                          I think a lot has to do with room size and dimensions when it comes to bass. My room is 18ft wide and 26ft long (maybe it is 24ft, now I am not sure). Since my room is big it sucks up the bass. As a result my 804s needed to be driven to get the bass output, or I used the subs which was nice too.

With the 801D and the 15" driver, the bass is ample even at low listening levels. If you remember older stereo receivers had the "loudness" button which boosted the bass levels when the volume was low. I kinda feel like I have turned on loudness when I listen late at night at low listening levels..
                                                                                          Main System:
                                                                                          B&W 801D
                                                                                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                                                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                                                          Oppo BDP-105
                                                                                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                                                          B&W CM7
                                                                                          Emotiva UMC-1
                                                                                          Emotiva UPA-2
                                                                                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                                                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• leo2498
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2012
                                                                                            • 370

#90
                                                                                            I think a lot has to do with room size and dimensions when it comes to bass. My room is 18ft wide and 26ft long (maybe it is 24ft, now I am not sure). Since my room is big it sucks up the bass. As a result my 804s needed to be driven to get the bass output, or I used the subs which was nice too.

With the 801D and the 15" driver, the bass is ample even at low listening levels. If you remember older stereo receivers had the "loudness" button which boosted the bass levels when the volume was low. I kinda feel like I have turned on loudness when I listen late at night at low listening levels..
                                                                                            Congratulation they are just right for you room, the sound must be awesome :T
                                                                                            BTW are you missing your central?
                                                                                            Leo,
                                                                                            Saludos

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"