X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Spencer
    • Oct 2004

DIY Synergy horn

Thought some of you guys might find this interesting. For the past couple of months I've been working on some DIY Synergy horns. For those unfamilar, you can read about it here:

Update: DIY point source kit This point source horn combines a unique mix of features that make it very appealing. It has the extremely...

In a nutshell, it's a coaxial horn in which the compression driver and closed back mids all load into the same horn. So you get horn loading and ultra high sensitivity down to about 230 Hz, and constant directivity all the way down as well. Walk up to a conventional speaker, you hear all the sounds disjointed, treble from the tweeter, mid separated, it's all a mess. With the Synergy horn, you can put your head in the mouth of the horn (a bit like the mouth of a lion!) and all the sounds come from one spot. This makes it behave very well in a room, unlike typical horns where multiple horns fight with each other and the sound stage falls apart everywhere but in the one chair.

I've built two ... S1 which is a 60 x 60 horn half a metre wide and then S2 which is one metre wide!

This is S1 from behind:

And S2 during measurement:

So how do they measure? Really well ... this is S2

It's been a lot of fun and this could be just the beginning. Quite a challenging project, both to design and build. The horn had all kinds of angles and there were many mind bending moments where I was scratching my head and thinking "why doesn't this work?" or "how the heck am I going to figure this out?!" But tackled systemmatically, one step at a time, just about anything is possible in time.
    Audio Blog DIY projects, tutes and articles.
  • gbegland
    • Apr 2005

Brings back memories of being in Nicks' ( of Lambda drivers) shop about 10 years ago when he was still in Orlando. He showed me some of his Synergy horns on top of 15" TD driver boxes with dual 18" passive radiators on the side! Painted in that color changing paint that was so popular back then. Wild stuff, but sounded fabulous.

What are you planning for yours?

Greg

Comment

• Paul Spencer
      • Oct 2004

The two I've built will soon go to a new home, but when I build one that I plan to keep, probably like the one in the photo, it will be installed flush mounted in a big bass trap, the trap being black and the visible part of the horn being glossy metallic red, sports car like! It will sit over a bass box with some Eminence Magnum 18LF drivers, painted black, again only the front visible.
      Audio Blog DIY projects, tutes and articles.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"