X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbrockman
    • Aug 2007

New SB Acoustics mid

SB Acoustics SB12MRX25-04
    Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Is anyone planning on testing these?

I wonder how these compare to the TB W4-1337 as it would be cosmetically appealing to have black mids. Very similar in price to the TB.
  • Silversmoky
    • Nov 2007

Noticed these too. Looks like they released one as a woofer and one as a midrange both with rubber surrounds as opposed to their original 4 incher with the foam surround. The woofer version has larger xmax. I will probably get a pair and test them somewhere down the line. I have a pair of the 4" with foam that I have tested but wasn't overly impressed with the distortion profile. The file is on my other computer but if I remember correctly it has rising 3rd order distortion right throught the midrange. Not unusable but a little disappointing.

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Silversmoky
      The file is on my other computer but if I remember correctly it has rising 3rd order distortion right throught the midrange. Not unusable but a little disappointing.
      The foam surround 4" driver has no copper in the motor like the 5 and 6" drivers. I'm not sure about the new 4" SB drivers, but from the looks of the impedance curve it's just a slightly different variation on the original driver. It's certainly worth investigating though.
      Last edited by Jed; 24 October 2010, 23:44 Sunday.

Comment

• Silversmoky
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Jed
        The foam surround 4" driver has no copper in the motor like the 5 and 6" drivers. I'm not sure about the new 4" SB drivers, but from the looks of the impedance curve it's just a slightly different variation on the original driver. It's certainly worth investing though.
        That is interesting that the foam 4" didn't have copper in the motor. That would explain the disappointing distortion profile. I wasn't aware of that. Interesting in a midrange driver that they decided to leave that out! Thanks Jed. I agree that the new 4's are definitely worth checking out. I love some of the Sb acoustics stuff that I have used.

Comment

• Rbrockman
          • Aug 2007

Good information.

Perhaps then, the Scan Speak below is one of the better choices available in ~4" mids for the cost, and it's available in black. I'm sure the ZA14 is also really good, but it's silver and won't pass the WAF test.

Scan-Speak 10F/4424G00 Discovery
          Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

I see Zaph and Mark K. tested it and thought it was quite good.

Comment

• Silversmoky
            • Nov 2007

Yes, that little Scanspeak is a nice performer at a little higher price point.

Comment

• Silversmoky
              • Nov 2007

Found the distortion chart for the foam surround mid. I am hoping that the new mids might be a bit cleaner but Jed is probably right about them being a slight variation of the original. Will have to check it out somewhere along the line. :T
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"