X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbegland
    • Apr 2005

Lambda TD6 tests on the way

Nothing yet, but some teaser photos. Testing them out for a friend and also possible usage for another high end studio monitor client.

From left to right we have, Anarchy woofer from Kevin Haskins of Exodus Audio, TD6 and the old PE "Euro" series 7" woofer that itself is a cheap copy of the Scan Speak 18W/8535.

This thing is BEEFY!

Greg - www.phatplanetstudios.com
    Attached Files
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

Interesting, is the magnet assembly masking the complete backside of the cone?

Comment

• gbegland
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by TacoD
      Interesting, is the magnet assembly masking the complete backside of the cone?
      Yes, pretty much. If using more than one layer baffle or anything thicker than 3/4", you really need to make an aluminum mounting plate to let this thing breath some.

Worked ALL weekend, so no measurements yet, but I got the test box baffle cut out.

Greg

Comment

• gbegland
        • Apr 2005

mounted and ready to go....

Greg
        Attached Files

Comment

• HareBrained
          • Jul 2008

Interesting. I can't imagine that you'd select those 3 for the same application. To me, each has unique strengths. If one meets the criteria for the speaker, the other 2 probably wouldn't. Still, I'm looking forward to what you come up with.
          John

Comment

• gbegland
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by HareBrained
            Interesting. I can't imagine that you'd select those 3 for the same application. To me, each has unique strengths. If one meets the criteria for the speaker, the other 2 probably wouldn't. Still, I'm looking forward to what you come up with.
            Not using any myself at the moment. That photo was just for comparisons sake.

Greg

Comment

• gbegland
              • Apr 2005

OK, here are some curves. Taken @ 3 inches from the phase plug. Top 5 lines are from 0 to 40 degrees horizontal. Next 2 down are with filtering. Bottom 2 lines are with EQ applied. I have a discussion over at the AE forum about the dip going on there around 900Hz.

Subjectively this thing sounds CLEAN and can be listened to fullrange without getting fatiguing. Only other drivers I've had through here that I could tolerate fullrange are the 15W revelator series and the old ascendent audio poly 6.5.

A little EQ with the DSP brings the dip right up, so for an active solution, it still looks manageable, but for passive, I'm not sure. Some of you crossover experts on here might have some fun with it.

Greg
              Attached Files

Comment

• gbegland
                • Apr 2005

Some distortion sweeps for you. Taken at the same 3 inches @ 95dBspl.
                Attached Files

Comment

• NyxOne
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by gbegland
                  OK, here are some curves. Taken @ 3 inches from the phase plug. Top 5 lines are from 0 to 40 degrees horizontal. Next 2 down are with filtering. Bottom 2 lines are with EQ applied. I have a discussion over at the AE forum about the dip going on there around 900Hz.

Subjectively this thing sounds CLEAN and can be listened to fullrange without getting fatiguing. Only other drivers I've had through here that I could tolerate fullrange are the 15W revelator series and the old ascendent audio poly 6.5.

A little EQ with the DSP brings the dip right up, so for an active solution, it still looks manageable, but for passive, I'm not sure. Some of you crossover experts on here might have some fun with it.

Greg
                  Humm... that's one big dip (8db)!

I wonder what might be causing this ? Did you chamfered the backside of the baffle for the driver to breath properly ?

Thanks for sharing BTW!

Chuck

Comment

• gbegland
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by NyxOne
                    Humm... that's one big dip (8db)!

I wonder what might be causing this ? Did you chamfered the backside of the baffle for the driver to breath properly ?

Thanks for sharing BTW!

Chuck
                    Yes, as much as possible given the size of the thing. Would be curious to see how is does on say an 1/8" thick piece of aluminum. The guy I borrowed it from will possibly doing this for his monitor. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Greg

Comment

• EdL
                      • Apr 2005

Td6m

Greets, Any further info wrg to the response dip in the AE TD6M? I'm looking for an OB mid-bass under a G3Si.
                      Ed

Comment

• gbegland
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by EdL
                        Greets, Any further info wrg to the response dip in the AE TD6M? I'm looking for an OB mid-bass under a G3Si.
                        No. I followed along on AE's forum for a while, but since I was personally not using them, I stopped checking.

Greg

Comment

• davey_m
                          • Nov 2008

I also followed the issue on AE's forum as I was interested in that driver too. It seems it was never satisfactorily resolved, so I lost interest. I remember AE stating that the dip was a measurement artifact but I doubted that, since there was a corresponding wriggle on the impedance measurement.

Comment

• gbegland
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by davey_m
                            I also followed the issue on AE's forum as I was interested in that driver too. It seems it was never satisfactorily resolved, so I lost interest. I remember AE stating that the dip was a measurement artifact but I doubted that, since there was a corresponding wriggle on the impedance measurement.

Correct. Once I showed other measurement in the same test box with different drivers and no trace of the dip, that ended that line of reasoning. I still wonder if the magnet is sooooo large that there is some type of reflection and cancellation going on there. Shame cause the thing sounded great...

Greg

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"