X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spadez
    • Jan 2010

TMWW 3way opotions

Hi,

For a while ive been gearing myself to building the modula xtreme so's since they fit my requirement perfectly. However maybe they are going to be a bit too extreme for me, if I'm looking at around $1600 at least for two speakers Im not sure i can justify it at the moment.

I'm looking at this kind of setup because I've built a subwoofer but it really needs more than just a mid range to tie things in together because the output of the subwoofer is so high and lacks the higher low end (if that makes sense). At the very least the system would need to have one woofer.

If i wasn't to go down the modula route, what other options might be available to me in a slightly cheaper package?

Any help would be appreciated so i can work out my options.
  • spadez
    • Jan 2010

Although im not keen to jump ship just yet, here are four options I was looking at prevoiusly:

Have i missed any obviose options. It doesn't need to be a tmww configuration does it does need to contain a woofer driver along with a mid and treble.

Could anyone help me evaluate these options?

Comment

• HeatMiser
      • Apr 2006

What's your time frame? I'm interested in building a speaker with a similar form factor (not necessarily for the same reasons) and am currently in a holding pattern to see if Jon decides to further pursue a Modula (less extreme) TMWW alluded to in an earlier thread, with the same driver complement as the Modula MT XE up top and a pair of moderately sized (RS225?) flux-capacitorized woofers on the bottom in a 2.5-way configuration. Seems like it might be a great fit for my own goals, and possibly yours as well, but if you're itchin' to buy drivers and cut some wood real soon now it might be better to go with a design that's currently in a finished state.
      Paul G

Comment

• spadez
        • Jan 2010

Yes thats exactly what im after. There isnt a rush and believe me I want to do it right, its just im in America at the moment for 2 weeks, so if I can bring back some drivers with me ill save around 30%. Its criminal the prices in the UK.

Comment

• oneplustwo
          • Jan 2010

There's also Zaph's ZDT 3.5's. I built mine a few months ago and have been very happy with them. I think they'd do well for your needs as well.
          Zaph SR-71
          Zaph ZDT 3.5
          Sunflower Redux
          12" Dayton HF sub
          CJD RS 150 MT
          Revelator bookshelf
          2x12 Guitar cab
          Corner loaded line array

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Your list is quite a range in price and quality...

I'm not sure what your goals or budget are. I, of course, recommend the Khanspires to those that have the space. I very much enjoy them. Quite a bit different in size than the Modula Extremes.

Similarly, anyone that has the space to accommodate the Statements would be very happy with any of those. Many happy builders can't be wrong.

I think Zaph's ZDT's are a very worthy speaker. Jed at Clearwave probably also has some kits that are in the same range as what you were hoping for from the Modula Ext.

I can't really recommend the Dayton Classic WMTMW. It isn't that it is a bad speaker, but I get the impression from your previous interest in the Modula Ext. that you were looking for quality. The Classic is more about rocking out.

The projects in the PE showcase have really varied in quality. I'm not sure where the one you linked to fits in or who was the designer. I didn't see a crossover diagram or response graphs for it. I would probably select one of the more well know designs first.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Not2Evil
              • Dec 2008

There is a design for the Dayton TMWW that used a single RS225. So make that a TMW and it might fit your bill. It used the Seas tweater and the Xover was done by Dennis Murphy. I'm not sure if anyone actually built one.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"