HTG Expert
    • Aug 2000

so given Toronto is east coast Canada
    Them's fighten' words for us Canucks... 8O

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

OK, EASTERN Canada. The other side of the continent from me. Farther than BC. What is the non-fightin' words term?

BB

Comment

• brucek
        HTG Expert
        • Aug 2000

What is the non-fightin' words term?
        Great Lakes Region...... arty:

spec grade and hospital grade, all are isolated ground
        What is your reasoning for the I.G. receptacles - I guess they're just better quality?

We've nixed the idea of a 'soft start' device
        We could use a relay circuit, but that in our opinion will add needless cost and complexity to the design.
        A large toroid like this will have significant inrush current when AC is applied. You might need that relay.

Interesting thing, the transformer itself is only 3.5" high, but the in/output wiring adds another 1/2"+ to the height. So our 3U rack chassis are a bit too tall; but using the next size down would put a pretty sharp bend in the wiring.
        the Plitron transformers in my B-P-T devices all emit a low level mechanical hum.
        Mechanical hum from transformers can be due to several factors
        One of the often overlooked contributors to mechanical hum from a transformer is the interaction between the transformers magnetic field and the metal case it's mounted in. This is fairly easy to demonstrate by holding a loaded transformer in your hand while bringing a plate of metal within close proximity at different angles. The transformer and plate will begin to vibrate in your hand. (not to be attempted by the novice at home - but you get the idea) .

It's reported that Bryston hand rotates every transformer in their power amps during final production to find the quietest operation. It's surprising that even a small positional change can quiet a noisy transformer.

Generally in commercial equipment where all the components are buttoned down moving the transformer isn't possible or practical, but I've certainly done it myself with good results. For example, originally my Behringer Feedback Destroyer had a rather annoying transformer hum that I was determined to eliminate. Re-mounting the transformer with rubber washers helped , but didn't completely remove the noise. So, I unbolted the transformer, and while the unit was plugged in (on a bench), I moved the transformer around until I found a spot where the noise stopped (luckily there's lots of spare real estate and lead length in a BFD). I siliconed the transformer in this position and the BFD is now completely silent. Now, I wouldn't recommend this, and the modification wouldn't garner support from any safe practices committee, let alone pass CSA or UL standards - but it was very effective. In this case it was a cheap laminate transformer and as such will usually suffer from noisy vibration far more than a toroid will, given that in a toroid there are no loose laminates to vibrate and that the grain oriented core steel in a toroid suffers far less from magnetostriction (expansion and contraction of the core). But, my point is that mounting and positioning a transformer in a metal case can have a large effect on mechanical hum, even with a toroid.

Certainly flux containment isn't a problem in this project, since this isn't a power supply associated with close proximity sensitive electronics. So, placement inside the chosen cabinet is up for grabs with the final position being the one with the lowest mechanical hum....

I wonder if it would be a good idea to do some initial testing under load and experiment with the mounting position. Comments?

brucek

* edit after a re-read to fix sloppy wording of "there loose laminates" to "there are no loose laminates"

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hi Ken,

The Hosp/Spec grade outlets just have a better overall build quality. All brass construction and a higher clamping pressure. Isolated ground is the only way they're made.

Interesting stuff about transformer location. We can certainly experiment with that in our DIY project. There's absolutely no room to reposition the transformers in my B-P-T devices. And I'd need to completely rewire the devices in order to rotate the transformers, since it's a very tight fit in the chassis. The residual transformer hum is actually quite low. One only hears it if the room is dead silent, or by putting an ear near the chassis.

Jon says that another source of hum for torriods is DC offset. So he's designing a little PCB with caps and diodes to eliminate that problem.

Like this, except with the proper value caps. This guy's using caps that are too small.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dcblocker.gif
Views:	29
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	946429

Project is slowly coming along. Yesterday I dry fit the 1/4" thick bottom stiffening plate, the transformer, couple of fender washers, and a layer of damping material. This confirmed we're going to need a 4" bolt to attach the transformer.

Other than rotation we won't be able to experiment with different locations for the transformer. Given it's weight it must be centered in the chassis, otherwise the device is just to 'tippy'

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio
          Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 09:31 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• brucek
            HTG Expert
            • Aug 2000

Hey Thomas,

Jon says that another source of hum for torriods is DC offset. So he's designing a little PCB with caps and diodes to eliminate that problem.
            Like this, except with the proper value caps. This guy's using caps that are too small.
            Yeah, toroids don't tolerate DC that well as they can saturate more easily than a conventional transformer. But electrolytics at this frequency on a primary of a transformer require a size that starts to get a bit expensive? Even those 4700uf's (reactance 0.56ohms in the diagram) at this working voltage are costly.

Maybe the blocker isn't necessary. I was reading an interesting white paper from Plitron that addresses the DC voltage problem and indicates their transformer are somewhat tolerent of an asymmetrical line.

In part:

"Designing low noise transformers under adverse line conditions with asymmetrical line (DC components present) follows the same procedure and delivers comparable results. Therefore Plitron will specify the DC-voltage which the low noise transformer can handle without getting noisy, according to the required performance level.

An alternative approach to handle asymmetrical line used by some manufacturers is called a DC-blocker. This is a circuit comprised of diodes, capacitors and resistors, and placed externally to the transformer in the primary circuit. This DC-blocker has implications in the total safety agency approvals of the product, since it is used in the primary circuit. The effectiveness of the DC-blocker approach is questionable, and it may have limited ability to work in severe line conditions.

Plitron uses a transformer-based solution requiring no external components to reduce transformer noise under asymmetrical line conditions. Plitron’s approach is to optimize the transformer to perform under the expected line conditions, and provide noise performance specifications. A transformer based solution is more elegant and effective, is less costly to implement, and eliminates the need for any external components in the primary circuit with the sonic disadvantages. It may also simplify the necessary safety approvals."

I also like the part where they say:

"A more difficult situation occasionally arises for some audio companies. Noise problems manifest themselves in the field after the product has been released. Not because the transformer has "become noisy", but more likely because the customer approval process for the transformer did not consider the "worst scenario" operating mains"

It would seem Plitron addresses the asymmetrical line problem and is somewhat tolerant of "some" DC offset.

The white paper states: "'Designing low noise transformers under adverse line conditions with asymmetrical line (DC components present) follows the same procedure and delivers comparable results. Therefore Plitron will specify the DC-voltage which the low noise transformer can handle without getting noisy, according to the required performance level."

Anyway - interesting stuff... I'm sure you and Jon have already thought about all this

KB

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Anyway - interesting stuff... I'm sure you and Jon have already thought about all this
              Jon has, you can just think of him as "Mr Plitron", given the decades he's been using and hyping their products.

Jon's got a stash of caps for use in a DC blocking circuit on the AC input side.

His stated goal is to, "have a design so safe a blind man can put his hand inside the chassis with the unit powered up, and not get shocked". 8O

So we'll see.......

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Plitron will do just about ANYTHING for you, if you're willing to pay for it, but their off the shelf stuff is built to certain price and performance targets.

The custom BPT transformers use a somewhat oversized core and winding window- and they're probably reasonably immune to smaller DC offsets. With a so called "cost optimized" transformer design, then you have to be a little more careful.

I'm going to use an isolated 2 KW AC source/generator and DC supplies to test the offset tolerance of the "off the shelf" isolation tranformer and see if there's any significant issues at up to 200-300 mV of net offset. Maybe their won't be...

Sizing the capacitors for a blocking filter requires taking into account the Xc and ESR of the caps, and choosing appropriately for a low drop (well under the diode clamping voltage) at peak overload currents.

In practical use, our home brew BP unit will probably only be turned on and off a few times, such as when first plugging it in. Normally, I'd leave it on. I'm planning on using this one for preamps, source gear, and evenutally a projector. So a soft start may not be too critical. This is something I also plan to test, by using arbitrary waveform generation to look at the inrush current with a peak equivalent turn-on. Maybe I'll change my mind, who knows? I've already got all the relays and stuff needed, so it's a trivial design and construction task... apart from findin the spare time!

~Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Sizing the capacitors for a blocking filter requires taking into account the Xc and ESR of the caps, and choosing appropriately for a low drop (well under the diode clamping voltage) at peak overload currents
                  Yeap, that's just what I was thinking......... :??

theAudioWorx
                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• AndrewM
                    • Oct 2000

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    His stated goal is to, "have a design so safe a blind man can put his hand inside the chassis with the unit powered up, and not get shocked". 8O
                    Who's going to volunteer for that job?!?

Andrew

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Who's going to volunteer for that job?!?
                      Andrew,
                      Didn't I see you waving your hand in the air? :rf

theAudioWorx
                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Ok, now where to put all the parts? 8O

Image not available

theAudioWorx
                        Klone-Audio
                        Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 09:44 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• brucek
                          HTG Expert
                          • Aug 2000

Sizing the capacitors for a blocking filter reuqires taking into account the Xc and ESR of the caps, and choosing appropriately for a low drop (well under the diode clamping voltage) at peak overload currents.
                          Hey Jon,

The circuit is interesting. Using caps in a primary power circuit with that much current passing through them seems kinda creepy. I guess you'll have to do some protective heat shrinking since the cases of the caps will be at mains potential - don't want those blind volunteers sticking their hands on that - yikes.

I would think the 4700uf caps with their Xc of 0.56ohms @60Hz would be fine, given the significantly larger Xl reactance voltage divider set up with the toroid - not much drop will occur across each cap during its conduction time. When each diode is forward biased its associated shunt cap gets a half wave break and sits idle, so the dissipation factor and calculated ESR for the caps probably isn't much of a concern? The diodes relieve each cap with a 50% duty cycle.

I think the forward current capacity of the diodes is important though. When each diode is in its half wave conducting cycle, will it not need to be of a size to be able to handle about half the maximum RMS current for the circuit under full load. I suppose if you had a big enough capacitor in that "stash of caps" you wouldn't need the diodes at all and you could remove the DC to zero instead of 0.7volts? The diodes main purpose seems to be to reduce capacitor size by rectifying the signal and giving each capacitor only 50% of the duties..

I like your idea of testing the toroid for DC tolerance. If it seems OK I'd think it wise to avoid that blocker....its nasty :roll:

brucek

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

I think you've made a good start-

"Inside the Box"

~Jon :LOL:

Earth First!
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

don't want those blind volunteers sticking their hands on that - yikes.
                              No worries, Andrew knows no fear........:sos:

theAudioWorx
                              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Hello Bruce,

The 4700uF is just the value someone else used in a pic Thomas scored on the web. The Xc is quite too high; under any normal conditions, for proper balancing, the diodes should never be conducting. They're only there to prevent over voltage on the caps in the event of a gross overload or short.

This is one of those things that I'm going to calculate, then simulate system startup, overload, etc., before choosing the final value.

Where I work I used to develop models for our power devices, and have been working with simulation tools (and unhappy with most of them (except Saber or SPECTRE) for a variety of reasons) since the mid eighties. Now I've found a relatively affordable PC based one that is really pretty decent- SIMetrix from Catena Software, UK. They mostly do IC layout tools and the like, and their simulator was developed in the early nineties to support those tools because of issues with existing third party simulators. Though their versions with full IC model support and SIMPLIS get a bit dear, the base SIMetrix AD+ for general analog and power is <$3K. It includes full schematic cross probing after simulation run to multiple graphics sheets, and can support multiple combinations of Y axis as well as multiple pages with different timebase axis. For me, simulation is finally productive, instead of a chore. And in a month's work of developing a 200 kHz resonant reset forward converter using our experiemental 1500V Silicon carbide transistors, I never had a convergence failure.... :B

Whereas Jens, my German colleague in my lab, who is quite a bit younger, is loosing hair at a prodigous rate from pulling it out fighting the Cadence release 10 of PSPICE. Poor guy.... :roll:

It also has some interesting analysis modes not present in most simulators, such as the ability to do swept AC analysis not just of the frequency, but sweeping component values or voltage sources. Very useful for small signal analysis of linear circuits.

:T

SIMetrix and SIMetrix/SIMPLIS analog and switching-power circuit design and simulation software homepage.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• brucek
                                  HTG Expert
                                  • Aug 2000

under any normal conditions, for proper balancing, the diodes should never be conducting
                                  Ahhhhh OK, I was assuming you intended for the drop across the cap to always bias the diode on - I got hung up on the 4700 (I think I'll blame Thomas :roll: ). So you're going to pick an Xc that ensures you're below that knee.Got it .Of course now (as you said), the ESR of the capacitors becomes important.

I wasn't using anything as fancy as SIMetrix (very interesting), just my tired old brain trying to analyze how a circuit works. I still have most of my hair... :banghead:

Thanx jon - interesting reading as usual......brucek

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

Have you guys seen this one?

Half the power of the one we're doing here, and no doubt lacking some of the refinements, but how does it look otherwise? $350 unassembled seems like a bargain compared to the other retail offerings.

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Have you guys seen this one?
                                      Yep posted a link to it earlier in this thread.

Only 1000va, no extra EMI/RFI filtering and only one outlet = no isolation for digital devices. By the time it is upgraded it would cost as much as our DIY design and only offer 50% of the capacity.

However it would probably be a good entry level device for someone lacking the tools/ability to fabricate the Secrets/Plitron DIY unit.

theAudioWorx
                                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jun 2001

Well, the big metal donut has arrived. Yesterday was my kid's 6th birthday, and he thought it was a late cool heavy present. Told him no, it was a transformer for me. He looked at me with the "you're a grownup! What the hell do you want with a transformer?" expression until I explained it to him.

Now for a Mouser order. Caught me by surprise, Plitron never sent me a shipping notification.

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Cool...............

Now I bet you can understand will I built the 1/4" thick stiffening plate for the bottom of the chassis.... 8O

theAudioWorx
                                          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jun 2001

Any news on whether you guys think it's necessary to add the DC offset correction circuit? Gonna order my other stuff, and want to order the caps and diodes for that as well if you think it's worthwhile.

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Catch-22 ...........

The test gear to measure the transformer is located where Jon works. He commutes to work by train, carrying 2 laptops, a briefcase, and other misc stuff.

So we're on hold for the test, until he has an opportunity to drive the transformer from Livermore to San Jose. And that's easier said than done, since once again he's out of town traveling on business.

I'll chat with him this w/e, perhaps we can give you the dimensions of a space to leave open for the board, should it be needed.

theAudioWorx
                                              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jun 2001

OK Thanks. I'll be outa town about 1/2 time myself, have 4 trips to Japan in the next 4 months, so no rush.

Maybe I can pick up the parts cheaper in Akihabra

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Maybe I can pick up the parts cheaper in Akihabra
                                                  Gees I haven't been there since 1985!

I can probably come up with a laundry list of stuff for you to get......
                                                  How's my credit? :B

theAudioWorx
                                                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jun 2001

Actually, your credits fine. Be happy to pick up things (as long as they are not in the plitron's weight class, and not much bigger).

Like I said, going for 2-3 weeks each in March, April May and June, so plenty of opportunity to grab stuff for people.

BB

Comment

• Doug Fraser
                                                      • Apr 2004

I was wondering if you guys have made any further progress on with this project? The reason I ask is that I am slowly collecting parts for my own conditioner.

I have the following Plitron transformer

8770-X0-00
                                                      20 AMP - 2400 VA
                                                      LoNo - Lo Noise
                                                      NBT - Narrow Bandwidth Technology
                                                      Balanced

The chassis I am using has 5 outlets.

I will probably only spec one outlet at 20 amps. The rest will be at 10 amps. The reason for this is that I want to use Corcom EMI filters and the 20 amp ones are quite expensive while the 10 amp ones are less money.

In order to protect the filters from to much current draw, I intend to use panel mount resetable cct breakers.

I also will have the ability to trigger all outlets on the 12 v trigger from the Sourround Sound Processor. The idea is to be able to turn on the Sub EQ first then the Sub Power Amp thus avoiding a thump. An the reverse when the system is turned off.

The options for the outlets will be

- always on
                                                      - Turn on outlet when 12 V trigger turns on and turn off outlet 3 sec after 12 V trigger is removed - this is for EQ's
                                                      - Turn on outlet 3 sec after 12v trigger turns on and turn off outlet when 12 V trigger is removed - this is for power amps

I had an opportunity to look into a Monster Power line conditioned and it had the standard capacitor/Inductor filter ccts (discrete version of Corcom) but I noticed they also use ferrite cylinders on the wires to the outlets. Probably overkill but I see parts express have some for a reasonable price.

While I haven't yet scoped out a design I will most likely put some transient surge protectors on the input. I haven't yet decided if I should goe MOV's or use some of the series OEM units. Like something from Zero Surge

http://www.zerosurge.com

I got some useful info off the following web sites:

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/catch2.htm Balanced Power
                                                      http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/surge.htm Filter and Surge Protection

I eagerly wait further postings.

regards,
                                                      Doug Fraser

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Hi,

Unfortunately progress is interrupted given Jon's extremely busy travel schedule. He still needs to measure the transformers to see if we need to add DC offset filters at the AC line in.

Separate ferrite chokes aren't really needed at each outlet, putting one on each of the transformer's inputs couldn't hurt if you don't plan on a RMI/EFI input filter. DigiKey has small ferrite beads for cheap, but they have a $25 min parts order. Note that the clamp-on ferrite cylinders aren't as effective as looping the wire through the ferrite and back out again.

MOVs are cheap and a good choice, if you don't mind replacing them every 6mos or so.....since every little spike they stop kills them a little bit at a time.

We'll post data once work on the project starts up again.

theAudioWorx
                                                        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Doug Fraser
                                                          • Apr 2004

Thanks for the reply. I will be lurking. As I get closer to completing my project I will post.

Regards,
                                                          Doug

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

slow work takes time...

As Thomas "hints", my schedule at work has been someone nightmarish regarding biz travel, and also bringing some new "headquarters" people in Austria and Singapore up to speed. I've been on the road almost every week this month, and June is looking pretty similar- two new "items" added just this Friday while I was back in the office! :E That'll teach me to stay out of the office!

The bigger problem is that this level of travel has me working on weekends just to try to keep from falling too far behind on more mundane things. As a result, I have more goodies sitting around unused and untested than at probably any other time in my life! Jeeeesshhhh! :bluezoned:

When I drive into the airport next monday, I'll probably drop off the transformer in the lab just so I can test it after I get back. I'll see if I can't make some nice scope picks. The interesting question, though, is what level of problem (i.e., DC offset) should be the gating issue? With the experience of my standard Aragon amps sometimes having mechanical hum around here at startup, when the actual load is low, I'm thinking I'm going to test the my local AC line, take whatever averaged DC number that is, and double it, and test the transformers at that level open circuit on the secondaries, and just look for signs of saturation in the magnetizing current on the primary, or physical noise.

My gut feel is that I'd like it to not have any problems at least up to 25-350 mV DC. If they're showing up there, due to the low winding impedance, then my feeling is we'll go with the DC input filter. I've already selected a capacitor series for constructing it, Nichicon UHE caps, which are Hi-Rel 105C rated parts, with fabulously low ESR, and rather reasonable cost, actually.

We'll see how this goes. The only other component to spec out will be the PCB terminals for the wire hook up; need something a little heavier gauge than the one's I use now, which only go up to AWG14.

Best regards,

Jon
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jun 2001

Finally got some time to work on this between Tokyo trips (45000 frequent flyer miles in 8 months). Building my rack case out of some rather thick aluminum I had. This device is going to top 60 lbs easy when it's done. Grunt. Maybe I'll put casters on it. This works out OK as I am freeing up some rack space by moving the 3 crown woofer amps into the closet above my HT. so this thing can replace them as ballast for the rack.

On the filtering power inlet, there is a medical spec one for the same price with only 5 microamps leakage current vs. 5 milliamps for the one you guys called out. Any reason not to get the .0002 model given no price increase? Has the same inductance.

Also a similar question on the other filters. There is a 10 amp model who's cost is the same as the 6 amp. Any reason not to go with those instead?

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

(45000 frequent flyer miles in 8 months)
                                                                You and Jon can compare 'war' stories later this week ...... :wink:

As long as there's space available in the chassis, the 10 amp units are fine.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                                                  On the filtering power inlet, there is a medical spec one for the same price with only 5 microamps leakage current vs. 5 milliamps for the one you guys called out. Any reason not to get the .0002 model given no price increase? Has the same inductance.
                                                                  Checked the schematic for this different part. Difference is it lacks a pair of capacitors (2.2 nF each) between load (transformer) side ground lead, 1 to hot and 1 to neutral.

Is this preferable or a problem?

BB

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Lacking the Y capacitors is why the leakage current is lower- for medical equipment, common mode leakage current must be very low. But this also limits filtering, which is reduced. The leakage current is due to the 60 Hz through the Xc of the capacitor. I'd get the non-medical one, which has better filtering.

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner- saw it and meant to respond one lunchtime, but things have been and still are so hectic.

Best regards,

Jon
                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                    M8ta
                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                    Isiris
                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                    Calliope
                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2001

These filters all have spade connectors. Since we are talking power here, is there a sonic or other benefit to soldering, or can I just go decent quality crimp on spade conectors with these?

BB

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                        • Aug 2000

A good grade of spade connector will be a tight fit and result in a gas tight connection.

A mediocre or poor grade of spade connector is to be avoided.

I bought some from a surplus electronics vendor 10 years ago which I'm still using, but I don't know what brand- I'll have to research what's available from good electronics distributors- I don't recommend what I've seen at Rat Shack or the typical hardware store stuff. The ones I use are fully insultated- not just the handle, but the whole connector- this is a safety issue, especially for DIY.

Best regards,

Jon
                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                        M8ta
                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                        Isiris
                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                        Calliope
                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2001
                                                                          • 2193

Using some double crimp fully insulated from Mcmaster:

Insulated- Rated to 600 volts and 221°*F (unless noted). Terminals are color-coded by wire size: 22-18 AWG are red, 16-14 AWG are blue, 26-20 and 12-10 AWG are yellow. Insulated barrel terminals offer everything noninsulated terminals offer, plus they provide electrical isolation and prevent wire flexing at the crimp point. Female terminals are tin-plated brass, male terminals are zinc-plated copper. Fully insulated terminals offer everything insulated barrel terminals offer, plus insulation completely covers the connection point. Female terminals are tin-plated brass, male terminals are tin-plated copper.
                                                                          *****Standard Barrel- Require one crimp. Insulated versions have vinyl insulation, fully insulated have nylon insulation. Double-Crimp Barrel- Two crimps provide an extra-tight crimp for high-vibration applications. Insulated versions have nylon insulation.

They are decent quality from all appearances, made by Molex, although that has not always been a guarantee of performance for us.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2001
                                                                            • 2193

Jon -

Any "free" time soon on the horizon as far as the extra little circuit for the transformer in this baby?

BB

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2004
                                                                              • 1106

#83
                                                                              FYI - Equi=Tech "Q" type transformers are extremely tolerant of power line DC offset and distortion, apart from having very low inrush current. As such, they don't need DC blocking and soft start devices.

I had annoying hum and buzz problems with the 2kVA Toroid Corp. of Maryland tranny I used in my DIY project. I contacted the manufacturer to find a solution but nothing worked. I ended up replacing it with an Equi=Tech Q type transformer. Talk about an entirely different animal. The Equi=Tech is 60 lbs/12" diameter versus the typical 30 lbs/8" of the offerings from Plitron, Toroid Corp. et al. This unit is absolutely silent and inrush current measured with my Fluke clamp-on is a mere 2.4 amps.

The folks at Equi=Tech also recommend against placing an EMI/RFI filter on their tranny's input, believing that it chokes current. They only recommend (Corcom) filters on the secondary to provide additional filtration and isolation of digital outlets.

Following is a link to new pics of the "MKII" unit. I had to use a new, deeper chassis to accommodate the larger transformer. Total parts cost jumped from $950 to $1,180.
                                                                              Last edited by Glen B; 12 August 2004, 00:55 Thursday.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 10934

#84
                                                                                GLen,

Interesting, my Plitrons have a slight hum, but it's not a problem since the transformers are no where near the listening position.

BTW, will Equi=Tech sell their transformers to the general public?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2004
                                                                                  • 1106

#85
                                                                                  GLen,

Interesting, my Plitrons have a slight hum, but it's not a problem since the transformers are no where near the listening position.

BTW, will Equi=Tech sell their transformers to the general public?
                                                                                  Yes, they sell "transformers in a box" to the DIYer.
                                                                                  Last edited by Glen B; 12 August 2004, 22:25 Thursday.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 10934

#86
                                                                                    Brandon,

I think the best plan is just to go forward with your intended design. If you want to leave room in the chassis for a DC blocking circuit then do so. But the reality is that there is no time in the foreseeable future that Jon's going to have an opportunity to measure the transformer.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• leonardo16
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2004
                                                                                      • 9

#87
                                                                                      Plitron donut wiring help

Glad to find a plitron posting,

Hope someone can help.

I have my 40lb+ copper donut .. I had it hanging around for awhile before I got up the gumption to build the box for it.

I have the Toroidal XFMR1 X 117V@2kVA part number 137050201.

So its in a stout box with vents for airing.

Problem is, I havent the foggiest idea about how to wire it..or how to direct someone to wire it.

I know that is silly of me.

The plitron folks said it didnt come 'housed' but I didnt know I'd just get the $276.00 copper donut with lots of wires sticking out of it. Its a bit hmm, overwhelming.

Boy is it heavy!

I bought it to transform power from 220/240 to 110/115. I am overseas (Spain at the moment, though I move around).

So... any suggestions about how to wire this puppy?
                                                                                      I cand send some pictures of it in its 'box'.

Hope to hear from everyone.
                                                                                      Many thanks,
                                                                                      Leo

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 10934

#88
                                                                                        Hi Leo,

I can't find that part number on the Plitron website.

Here's a link to the schematics

Look at the wire colors, then the primary and secondary wiring examples

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• leonardo16
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2004
                                                                                          • 9

#89
                                                                                          Ok, now where to put all the parts? 8O

Image not available

theAudioWorx
                                                                                          Klone-Audio

Dear ThomasW,

You said "Ok, now where to put all the parts?"

That is exactly my question!!!
                                                                                          Mine looks about like yours in the picture, except...I'm going from 240-115.
                                                                                          A picture would truly be golden.
                                                                                          Hope you can advise.
                                                                                          Many thanks,
                                                                                          leo
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 09:45 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• leonardo16
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                                            • 9

#90
                                                                                            Hi Leo,

I can't find that part number on the Plitron website.

Here's a link to the schematics

Look at the wire colors, then the primary and secondary wiring examples
                                                                                            Wow! Thanks for the schematics. Very helpful!
                                                                                            I couldnt find my part number on the plitron website either. Ive written them several emails, but still have not heard back.
                                                                                            I'll work with what you've so graciously provided and see where I go from there.

Any warnings???

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"