X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

RBR-KIT, the “Recession Buster Reference” Kit, Pair

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Zaph isn't the only one that has been busy! Way to go Jed. :T

(And thanks for the heads up Zaph. It took me a little hunting to find)
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

Nice choice of drivers and components. Clarity's new ESA's are a great bang for the buck.
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Great timing . . . I leave for vacation on Saturday to visit my sisters. I'll still have access to internet though. I'm sprucing up my website as fast as I can.

On top of that it's been speaker building testing non stop for the last few months. This little kit rocks though so it'll be worth the effort. I think you guys will like it quite a bit! There's ~100 of them so get em while they're hot!

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
        Way to go Jed. :T
        Thanks Ryan! :T

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I sent an email to Jed praising the amazing value of that kit. That will be a real treat for the very modest price!

Comment

• fjhuerta
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2006

$400... great price point...
            Javier Huerta

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Right on Jed! $400 is a bargain...
              ~Brandon 8O
              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• HareBrained
                • Jul 2008

A pair of SS 15S drivers is ~$436 alone. As a kit you get two SB29 tweeters, crossovers and $37 for the purchase. That's an incredible value. And I imagine they must sound fantastic. I just wish I had the moola.
                John

Comment

• NyxOne
                  • Jan 2008

Upgraded crossover worthwhile

Originally posted by Jed
                  Great timing . . . I leave for vacation on Saturday to visit my sisters. I'll still have access to internet though. I'm sprucing up my website as fast as I can.

On top of that it's been speaker building testing non stop for the last few months. This little kit rocks though so it'll be worth the effort. I think you guys will like it quite a bit! There's ~100 of them so get em while they're hot!
                  Hi Jed,

Is the upgraded crossover worthwhile ?

I'm really considering a kit... or two! This is deal is too good to let it pass. :E

My wife don't it yet, but she's going to be mad, real mad at me when she'll see my new toys!!!

Chuck

Comment

• Hank
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2002

:T Nice Jed, very nice

Comment

• NyxOne
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by NyxOne
                      Hi Jed,

Is the upgraded crossover worthwhile ?

I'm really considering a kit... or two! This is deal is too good to let it pass. :E

My wife don't it yet, but she's going to be mad, real mad at me when she'll see my new toys!!!

Chuck
                      I just couldn't wait... I've pulled the trigger on one kit (with the upgraded crossover parts). When I told my wife that I planned to buy two kits she tried to unscrew my head, both hands around the neck (choking and shaking me)! So I guess one kit will do!

I don't know how "Madisound" can offer a kit of this kind at such a price but this is one hell of deal!

Thanks Jed & Mad!
                      Chuck

ThomasW : Please let me know if I'm stretching to much the forum's rules!

Comment

• soundemon
                        • May 2009

If I wasn't still paying for my statement build, I'd pick up a set of these to try - looks excellent!
                        DIY - once you start down that (dark) path, forever will it dominate your destiny!

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by HareBrained
                          A pair of SS 15S drivers is ~$436 alone. As a kit you get two SB29 tweeters, crossovers and $37 for the purchase. That's an incredible value. And I imagine they must sound fantastic. I just wish I had the moola.

Yes I wish I had the money right now as well. Would be a fantastic speaker for my bedroom I think.

Comment

• Jed
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Apr 2005

I just couldn't wait... I've pulled the trigger on one kit (with the upgraded crossover parts).

The upgraded crossover uses a lower DCR series coil that helps flatten the response a tiny bit. I like all the Clarity Caps... although I haven't used the uber expensive ones.

Comment

• NyxOne
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Jed
                              The upgraded crossover uses a lower DCR series coil that helps flatten the response a tiny bit. I like all the Clarity Caps... although I haven't used the uber expensive ones.
                              Well I've thought that considering the woofer quality I had no other choice to buy the upgraded parts otherwise I think they would have been upset!

Seriously this is the first time I'm buying a kit and I thought that 50 buck would not kill me. Also, I won't be asking myself what kind of sound they would have had with the upgraded crossover... I'll just know!

Chuck

Comment

• Jed
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Apr 2005

Also, I won't be asking myself what kind of sound they would have had with the upgraded crossover... I'll just know!

Chuck

I'll look forward to your impressions when they are all done. Enjoy!

Comment

• wigginjs
                                  • Jan 2008

Kit is really an unequaled value. It makes you stop and just think "Do I have any justification, at all, to buy these, because they are a fantastic deal". Although, I think not having the option to use a pre-built cabinet (7.5" baffle width requirement) is limiting for kit builders. Thoughts on cabinet options?
                                  The Four Chairs
                                  DIY Home Theater

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8252 well its close...lol

Comment

• Jed
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by wigginjs
                                      Kit is really an unequaled value. It makes you stop and just think "Do I have any justification, at all, to buy these, because they are a fantastic deal". Although, I think not having the option to use a pre-built cabinet (7.5" baffle width requirement) is limiting for kit builders. Thoughts on cabinet options?
                                      They specifically didn't want me to use a certain competitor's cabinets for obvious reasons and the narrow baffle minimizes diffraction. Plus my cabinet calls for more bracing than you'll get with one of the prefabs.

I'm sure if you email some of the known cabinet builders around they should be able to quote you and get a good deal.

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

Jed,
                                        Maybe I missed it, but your page isn't totally clear on the diameter of the port.
                                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

2" diameter double flared port with a total length of 9"

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                            Yes I wish I had the money right now as well.
                                            Don't we all. As it is, I'm wondering if I can spare around $150 for my car's speakers... I hope there are enough kits so that I can get one in the future.
                                            Javier Huerta

Comment

• HareBrained
                                              • Jul 2008

I noticed that no one ran the numbers on this woofer, so I pulled up Unibox.

The vented enclosure has a predicted F3 ~ 30Hz!!!!!!!! In Jed's comments, he does mention the outstanding extension of these drivers. It's not a subwoofer but if you were thinking of spending $400 on a TM + sub, this would be an great "compromise".

For those interested, sealed is predicted as F3~58Hz. Perfect for integration with a powered SEAS L26ROY, or 2.
                                              John

Comment

• jkrutke
                                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jed
                                                They specifically didn't want me to use a certain competitor's cabinets for obvious reasons and the narrow baffle minimizes diffraction. Plus my cabinet calls for more bracing than you'll get with one of the prefabs.
                                                Same thing I did with my ZD5 design - I went 7" wide because there was almost no diffraction ripple. Yet somehow I managed to need to notch filters in the woofer circuit. :E

With your design out, I don't see anyone building the ZD5 for a while unless they specifically want a tweeter that's an "outie" instead of an innie. :B

On a side note, I see that Scan-Speak has their own version of the XT25 now, $56. One has to wonder if there are any changes.
                                                Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by jkrutke
                                                  On a side note, I see that Scan-Speak has their own version of the XT25 now, $56. One has to wonder if there are any changes.
                                                  It sure looks identical to the Vifa counterpart....

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8646 Scan

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1181 Vifa

Comment

• Jed
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Apr 2005

I see that Scan-Speak has their own version of the XT25 now, $56. One has to wonder if there are any changes.
                                                    Vifas are made in China with a lower price. I think that is the only difference. But I guess I could buy a pair to compare if I have time next month. I use the XT double magnet in a lot of designs. Price was $55 and now around $40. Go figure.

Comment

• AlanH
                                                      • Jan 2008

ZD5 vs RBR

Same thing I did with my ZD5 design - I went 7" wide because there was almost no diffraction ripple. Yet somehow I managed to need to notch filters in the woofer circuit. :E

With your design out, I don't see anyone building the ZD5 for a while unless they specifically want a tweeter that's an "outie" instead of an innie. :B
                                                      The kit looks great and the price is startlingly low...I was wondering though (and I'm not trying to start a war - I just want to learn) about the differences between the two approaches. I know the ZD5 was set up with a full 2nd-order crossover and a ladder delay for the phasing. How does this compare to your approach Jed? What are the trade-offs of each approach and why did you make the choices you did?

Again...I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I'm just trying to learn how two different designers put together high-performance systems using the same (or at least similar) high-performance drivers.
                                                      -Alan

There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Comment

• Silversmoky
                                                        • Nov 2007

Very nice Jed! Great looking kit! :T

Comment

• WalkinPaul
                                                          • Aug 2009

Can't wait.

Hi, first post here. I just ordered the kit. Thanks Jed. The specs look almost ideal for what I'm needing. Been lurking here for about 2 hours a day for the past 6 weeks now, and these showed up. They look & I'm sure sound awesome and a great price too. Showed wife your pics and she said "Those are beautiful and you are so good at building those kinds of things, get them". 15 minutes later they were in my shopping cart and now are on the way here. Thanks Jed and Madisound for such a great deal and design. Now, I just got to build them. I'll keep you posted. :B

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by WalkinPaul
                                                            Hi, first post here. I just ordered the kit. Thanks Jed. The specs look almost ideal for what I'm needing. Been lurking here for about 2 hours a day for the past 6 weeks now, and these showed up. They look & I'm sure sound awesome and a great price too. Showed wife your pics and she said "Those are beautiful and you are so good at building those kinds of things, get them". 15 minutes later they were in my shopping cart and now are on the way here. Thanks Jed and Madisound for such a great deal and design. Now, I just got to build them. I'll keep you posted. :B
                                                            You are in for a treat I'm sure. Quality components and Jed's designs are always fantastic (I've built 2 of them now). Good luck with the build and be sure and post pics or they aren't real! (forum rules )

Comment

• Jed
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by AlanH
                                                              I know the ZD5 was set up with a full 2nd-order crossover and a ladder delay for the phasing. How does this compare to your approach Jed? What are the trade-offs of each approach and why did you make the choices you did?
                                                              I used an asymmetrical slope crossover that approximates LR4 phase characteristics. See Jeff B.'s excellent explanation of this topology here. The woofer is "relaxed" a bit and this helps to align the phase perfectly because the acoustic centers of the drivers are not aligned on a flat baffle.

A ladder delay aligns the phase of the tweeter with the midrange if using a shallow slope, such as LR2 on a flat baffle, where the acoustic centers are not aligned. Shallow slopes are sensitive to phase cancellations around the Fc, if the drivers phase is not aligned-- so the delay circuit helps to deal with the dip that would be the result without it.

The goal with this kit was to keep the parts count in the crossover to a minimum while using drivers that are up to the task of hitting the desired transfer functions. The 15W has a remarkably smooth response as does the SB29 in this baffle. The off axis response is very good as well with the selected crossover topology, so I'll leave it at that.

For every speaker there is a recipe. For this one we wanted simplicity yet effective design and to bring it all at a price never before seen with a Scan Speak driver.

Here are some of the notes about those choices and why I did what I did:

All crossovers can be more complicated, and I did have one crossover iteration that used about 6 more components, but in the end I was able to hit the same targets without the additional parts (or at least very close). It just took time. Sometimes less is more and the crossover does its job. Therefore, the crossover realizes what we set out to achieve.

Jed
                                                              Last edited by Jed; 14 August 2009, 23:26 Friday.

Comment

• Jed
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Silversmoky
                                                                Very nice Jed! Great looking kit! :T
                                                                Thanks!!! :T

Hi, first post here. I just ordered the kit. Thanks Jed.
                                                                You're welcome!

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                  • Nov 2004

Like everyone else has already said, well done, Jed! I have never considered purchasing a kit but this one may push me over the edge.

I have a new pair of PE 0.75 ft3 MTM cabinets that should work nicely with this kit. Hmmm...

Comment

• peter_m
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2007

Congrats Jed,
                                                                    Amazing value for a kit.

Peter

Comment

• benchtester
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2007

It's amusing that Madisound's picture for the ScanSpeak shows the Vifa part number.

BTW: I noticed that at the ScanSpeak website they also offer a bucking magnet version. R2604-833000
                                                                      Last edited by benchtester; 08 August 2009, 17:20 Saturday.

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2004

The SS seems to lack the 5dB bump over 20khz of the Vifa. Also the impendance of the SS seems smoother between 1-2khz. The impedance at fs looks higher and more narrow on the Vifa. Visually I think the metal plate under the magnet looks a lot thicker on the SS, might be my eyes playing tricks on me though...

Comment

• Coconutout
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2006

this kit seems almost too good to be true. i just had to pull the trigger finally something that can replace the void in my heart when i sold my big pair of the statements. not that the mini statements looked anything dismissal but a whole kit for the price of the scanspeak alone? :B my problem is though i'm still a noob and can't read the graphs too well so i don't know if this tube amp http://cgi.ebay.com/MING-DA-MC-84A-s...ht_3717wt_1165
                                                                          would be enough to do the job at low volumes where i intend to keep it at. what would you say is the sensitivity on the rbr kit? MING DA MC-84A is reviewed to have huge power for its wattage.

Comment

• Rolex
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 386

I picked up a kit. Should be amazing value. Stands are complete, and cabinets are being veneered right now. I can't wait to give them a listen.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 15292

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Coconutout
                                                                              this kit seems almost too good to be true. i just had to pull the trigger finally something that can replace the void in my heart when i sold my big pair of the statements. not that the mini statements looked anything dismissal but a whole kit for the price of the scanspeak alone? :B my problem is though i'm still a noob and can't read the graphs too well so i don't know if this tube amp http://cgi.ebay.com/MING-DA-MC-84A-s...ht_3717wt_1165
                                                                              would be enough to do the job at low volumes where i intend to keep it at. what would you say is the sensitivity on the rbr kit? MING DA MC-84A is reviewed to have huge power for its wattage.
                                                                              Jed's graphs on his web page are not normalized to driver working sensitivity, so there's no way you can predict this from his data. The SS 5" woofer is about 85 dB/watt on IB, so in a box with BSC, it will be between 80 to 82 dB/watt, depending on the the degree of BSC used in the design, and the inductor resistance losses. Madisound offers an improved performance kit with AWG14 inductor and ESA Clarity caps; might be worth looking at.

I have to chuckle a bit at your last statement; I'm sure it's meant with the best of intentions, but saying that an amp offers huge power for it's wattage sounds like an oxymoron. Of course, the amplifier may be under rated, or it may clip more gracefully than some other designs. It does have taps for both 8 ohms and 4 ohm loads, so it is possible to optimize the power transfer for the speaker you have (rather than not having enough volts or enough amps depending on the impedance). The impedance only rarely dips to 8 ohms, so this amplifier should have no difficulty driving the speaker. However, tube amps with high output impedance do exhibit frequency response variations by interacting with the load, so the impedance rise at 60 Hz may affect bass quality with this amplifier, and the rise in the midrange around 1200 Hz to about 18 Ohms may result in a forward characteristic in this frequency range, due to the power amplifier. 13 watts should be OK for listening levels up to about 90 dB peak.
                                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                                              Natalie P
                                                                              M8ta
                                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                                              Isiris
                                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                                              Calliope
                                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                                              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                              Modula PWB
                                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cotdt
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2005
                                                                                • 393

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Coconutout
                                                                                EL84's won't give you much power, maybe 12W in push-pull (I've built such an amp). They do give a nice bass boost at the impedance bump, though.

I would recommend a 100W amp for these kind of speakers.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 16073

#41
                                                                                  I don't think these particular speakers really need 100 watts. Also if he's interested in tube amps he's pretty unlikely to get a tube amp with that kind of power. These speakers are made for critical listening and honestly could probably do with 30 watts at high outputs but he said he was looking for moderate volumes so something around 10-15 watts could work quite well.

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2005
                                                                                    • 3621

#42
                                                                                    My Ayre AX7e plays these plenty loud, which is 60 watts into 8 ohms.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15292

#43
                                                                                      I would expect so- just as mine does with the Modula MT or Neo D CC. But then we have the folks shooting for 95% efficient systems with horns/CDs and pro sound drivers, so I guess it takes all types! Those may do better with a 12 watt per channel tube amp.
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonP
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2006
                                                                                        • 692

#44
                                                                                        Hi Paul...

Welcome, congrats, and... she sounds like a keeper!! :T

Keep us posted and post some pics!

Jon

Comment

• Coconutout
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                                          • 329

#45
                                                                                          xO i didn't word my last sentence properly but what i meant was that the reviews comment on how powerful it sounds despite its actual output. my last el84 amp that was modified from an organ amp also had an impressive bass until my dog blew out the tubes by licking them :P i always come here right before going to sleep... helps me to have sweet dreams about systems i wish i'd have.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"