X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

The Petras

So my journey in diy has come full circle. Two years ago I bought an Onix Rocket HT package. I really like them but felt the high frequencies could use some improvement. After doing a search I ran across a a post in this forum by Jon Marsh about how the Scanspeak 9800 is nearly a drop in replacement for the Vifa XT25. Well I bought the SS9800's but before I could install them all the research had given me the diy bug. I decided that I was going to replace my Rocket package with something I designed. After talking many baby steps that progressed farther and farther I ended up building the little bookshelf speaker using Peerless HDS drivers. The sound quality was good enough that I knew I could make something better than the Rockets. This is the culmination of that journey, I'm calling them the Petra's because, well, they rock! Get it?

So a brief rundown. The mains and center are 3 ways using the Peerless 810921 tweeter, Peerless Nomex mids (832873 mains, 830872 center) and Dayton Reference woofers (RS270 mains, RS150-4 center). The rear surround will be 2 way speakers using the 810921 and 832873. Why these drivers? Well I just love the 810921. Hard to work with but just a great tweeter. The 832873 were compared against the RS150's. I have no real preference at this point, but I liked the how easy to work with the Peerless was. What sealed the deal was the 830872 being a superior driver. Easy to work with response and better distortion figures than the RS125 or W4-1337. And it just barely fit the baffle of the PE 1.0cf box with it's truncated frame. So Peerless was selected for mid duty. For woofers it's tough to beat the Dayton Reference. The RS270 is an excellent driver for this project. For the center channel I knew I was going to use a 4 ohm speaker in series so I could keep the impedance reasonable. Also it was perfect for matching the mid's sensitivity with little BSC built in. This was tough choice between the RS180 and RS150. Both model somewhat similar in the PE 1.0cf box. Being a center channel I wanted to make sure their was no chance of chestiness, and both of these drivers are just barely happy with 1.0cf. I figured the RS150 would be just a bit more comfortable here, but what really helped me decide was the fact that the RS150's modeled a higher sensitivity and I already had a pair, so...

Crossovers will be fairly conventional. The mid/tweet will be 1750-2500hz. The woofer/mid will be 200-350hz depending on the baffle step frequency, floor bounce calculations, driver layout etc. The one departure from conventional will be using a Behringer CX2310 for the RS270 to TM crossover. I figure if I can get rid of a big old (and expensive!) inductor, and have some flexiblity with BSC and voicing why not?

I'm using PE enclosure except for the RS270 which will be bass bin style. I optimized woofer placement according to box resonances predicted by boxnotes, and crossover frequency. Floor bounce calculations indicated that I'll be fine up to about 450hz with the woofer, so no worries there. Actually the mid in the mains will be the limiting factor, with a floor bounce of 375hz. I like to cluster the drivers, so elected to raise the woofer up near the mid/tweeter instead of being near the floor.

The RS270 enclosure is 69L net, tuned to 24hz. This provided the best trade off of decent bass when running full range, while still crossing properly to a sub. I planned on using a 12" TC2K for the sub and crossing at 50hz. Here is the interesting part: an RS270 in a sealed .7 qtc alignment has an F3 of 52hz. In other words a perfect match to my sub. Now sealed is bit lean for my taste so it was time to get creative. I wanted to find a ported alignment that would follow the sealed rolloff with the 50hz crossover in place (from the HT receiver). With the above alignment and a 60hz BW2 crossover this is what I get (sealed black, ported red):

Click image for larger version

Name:	RS270_boxmodel_60hzXO.webp
Views:	162
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	941753

Pretty cool huh? I love SE for being able to apply active filters in the enclosure designer! Now this of course requires an HT receiver that can apply different XO's to different channels, instead of globally. Fortunately my Rotel can do this. So what about the others?

The RS150-4's were placed in a 26L net box tuned to 45hz. Here is the RS150-4's with 50hz BW2 crossover compared to the reference RS270 sealed alignment:

Name:	RS150-4_boxmodel_50hzXO.webp
Views:	44
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	941754

Not bad. Yes the RS180-4 was marginally better. The 832873 in the rear surround is in a 10L net box tuned to 52hz. Here is the 832873 with 50hz BW2 crossover:

Name:	832873_boxmodel_50hzXO.webp
Views:	46
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	941755

Again not bad. The 832873 in the mains will of course be sealed, being crossed to the RS270. So all in all I'm pretty happy with the results. Here is the raw modeled response without crossover (RS270 black, RS150 red, 832873 green):

Name:	boxmodel_comparison.webp
Views:	43
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	941756

Here are some pics of the speakers. The RS270 bass bin is just a rough mockup for measurements, the actual one will have some sort of hardwood inlaid on the front baffle.

Name:	petra08.webp
Views:	46
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	941757

Name:	petra09.webp
Views:	45
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	941758

Name:	petra07.webp
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	941759

Name:	petra05.webp
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	941760

More to come when I get the crossovers modeled.
    Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 20:52 Friday. Reason: Update image location
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Looking good... :T

Did you build a wood box for the mid enclosure or use a section of pvc pipe?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• topp
      • Dec 2005

Nice, I am looking forward to getting more details.

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Tom the TM section of the mains is just my Softy bookshelf speaker I had brought to your house-it's the PE .38cf cabinet. I just have it setting on the bass bin.
        ~Brandon 8O
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I was referring to the mid sub-enclosure in this ....

Originally posted by augerpro

Click image for larger version  Name:	petra09.webp Views:	1 Size:	35.8 KB ID:	941758
          Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 20:55 Friday. Reason: Update quote

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

Oh, duh...here are a couple pics of the inside:

Name:	petra01.webp
Views:	35
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	941761

Name:	petra02.webp
Views:	34
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	941762

Name:	petra03.webp
Views:	114
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	941763

Name:	petra04.webp
Views:	32
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	941764
            Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 20:57 Friday. Reason: Update image location
            ~Brandon 8O
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Looks very cool. :T
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

Looks great. What is the method you used to pain the baffle? I really dig the dull textured black look.
                -Chuck

Comment

• jdybnis
                  • Dec 2004

Looks really nice. Did you consider using a router to truncate the tweeter faceplate? I've found carbide tipped bit cuts through aluminum like butter when I use my dewalt 621 on its lowest speed setting.
                  -Josh

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

The distance between the tweeter and mid shouldn't be a problem with a small 4" mid and I'm guessing a pretty low crossover point. Why bother?
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jdybnis
                      • Dec 2004

Aesthetics.
                      -Josh

Comment

• augerpro
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2006

I had actually intended to use the Vifa D26 when I bought this cabinet and had a small panic moment when I thought the 810921 and 830872 wouldn't fit. But as you can see the just barely fit, and look good. So no need to try routing metal. You can see where I had to sand a groove in the cabinet so the magnet on the mid would have some clearance.

Started some prelim crossover work without the CX2310, but applying active filters in SE to simulate it. I figured because of Baffle Step that I would have to apply a lower crossver in CX2310 to hit a target frequency. I was right. I aimed for a 300hz crossover, but had to apply a 250hz crossver in the CX2310 to get it. Slopes look great, but will need some additional passive components for subtle shaping of the response.
                        ~Brandon 8O
                        DriverVault
                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• james5
                          • Dec 2007

Where did you get those square drive screws you're using (I got some plain silver ones from mcfeelys, but i like the look of the all black better)? Very nice looking speakers! :T Look forward to seeing what you come up with on the crossovers.

Comment

• Hank
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jul 2002

I buy all my square drive screws from McFeely's.
                            For tweeters: http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0605...ss-Head-Screws
                            For mid-woofs: http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0806...an-Head-Screws
                            To bad they don't have a truss head #8.

Comment

• augerpro
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2006

I used these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006L38E8 Note the picture is not exactly right, the screws are 1" as described but they use a generic picture for all of them.

I like the ones Hank linked to. Hank how big is the head on those?
                              ~Brandon 8O
                              DriverVault
                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• GEBrown
                                • May 2008

Have you had a chance to model or measure the impedance yet? I'm looking for an LCR front soundstage for my HT and so far these look like a great project. But that said, I have an AV Rx that is 6-ohm limited.

Thanks for any info.

Comment

• augerpro
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2006

I expect these to be a solid 8 ohm nominal design that dips down to 6 ohm in the 100-500hz area. Easy to push.
                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                  DriverVault
                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• augerpro
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2006

I'm getting close to trying out some prototype crossovers. Let me know what you guys think of these responses.

First we have the center channel WTMW response:

Name:	WTMW.webp
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	941765

LR2 on the woofer/mid and LR4 on mid/tweeter. The mid/tweeter could be flatter, but the current response reflects the voicing I did with TM bookshelf speaker. My main concern is BSC. I'm wondering if I have too much. I want to err on the side of slightly lean sounding, chestiness really bothers me in a center channel. If I want to reduce it more though I'll have to use the RS150-8 in series since I'm already topped out on the mid's level. I've been developing that crossover in parallel with this one and the response is near identical, but with room to lean out the lower end if need be.

Here is the TMW main speakers response:

Name:	TMW.webp
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	941766

The active/passive hybrid mains are coming along nicely. Due to baffle step and matching drivers sensitivities I'm using a 200hz crossover on the CX2310 for an effective acoustic crossover of 325hz. I have some room to play with the woofer level still, but I am already at +11dB there, which surprised me. Measurement accuracy and constructing the driver model is tricky at these low frequencies so I ended up reducing the woofer level just a bit according to the model, and intend to see how it really sounds and measures when I try the prototype crossover. I like using the active crossover but it's not the idiot proof "perfect" method some make it out to be. Above the baffle step it will work mostly as intended, disregarding actual driver responses of course. But below the baffle step it is trickier. I figured that I would have to "undershoot" the crossover point due the rising response of the woofer and dropping response of the mid. I was right, and that undershoot is fairly considerable, 200hz input for a resulting actual crossover of 325hz. And considering the actual drivers do not have perfectly flat responses I knew I would probably still use some subtle passive shaping on the woofer/mid. Again I was mostly right. The woofer didn't need anything thankfully, but a 140uf cap was required on the mid to bring it on target.
                                    Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 20:58 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                    ~Brandon 8O
                                    DriverVault
                                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Sakura
                                      • Jul 2008

Wish I could hear those speakers. Might build something similar.

I like those Peerless HDS Nomex drivers without the phase plugs (non-exclusives) better than the phase plug models, from the specs and charts I've seen, but, I've not done listening tests comparing them, has anyone? I have four of the 6.5" version presently, to use in a project soon, I'm expecting great things, but, even if they are great, I'm sure I'll still be disappointed (perhaps partly because my ears just aren't as good as teenage ears were).

I might end up building something like the Zaph Waveguide speakers, except, with the Peerless Nomex 6.5" woofers instead of the Seas woofers...

Vaguely considering using his mid + tweet drivers + crossovers from his ZDT 3.5 though...

Have you compared the RS-52 to the Morel mid used in your Delphis?

How are you liking the RS270 bass bin? I've been wanting to do that, just can't afford a pair of RS270s yet - prob. next year... More likely I would have to settle on RS225-8s...

Comment

• augerpro
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2006

I think I'm close to trying a preliminary crossover for the mains. Still haven't built the actual bass bins yet though as I've been on vacation doing house/yard work. Both the mains and center channel are coming together well, but I still haven't decided if I'm going to use the 8 or 4 ohm RS150. Both have nearly identical response, but the 8 ohm has a slightly lower 100-200hz are-which I want for speech intelligibility. The 4 ohm is higher here, bu maybe ok still, and has about 2-3dB more sensitivity. Now sure what I'm going to do here yet.

Originally posted by Sakura
                                        Wish I could hear those speakers. Might build something similar.

I like those Peerless HDS Nomex drivers without the phase plugs (non-exclusives) better than the phase plug models, from the specs and charts I've seen, but, I've not done listening tests comparing them, has anyone? I have four of the 6.5" version presently, to use in a project soon, I'm expecting great things, but, even if they are great, I'm sure I'll still be disappointed (perhaps partly because my ears just aren't as good as teenage ears were).

I might end up building something like the Zaph Waveguide speakers, except, with the Peerless Nomex 6.5" woofers instead of the Seas woofers...

Vaguely considering using his mid + tweet drivers + crossovers from his ZDT 3.5 though...

Have you compared the RS-52 to the Morel mid used in your Delphis?

How are you liking the RS270 bass bin? I've been wanting to do that, just can't afford a pair of RS270s yet - prob. next year... More likely I would have to settle on RS225-8s...
                                        Sounds like a solid project. I think you will like the Nomex woofers-good sound and easy to work with.

As far as the RS52 I do have a pair but at this point I have no plans to see how they compare with the MDM55. I'm satisfied as is.
                                        ~Brandon 8O
                                        DriverVault
                                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• Sakura
                                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by augerpro
                                          Sounds like a solid project. I think you will like the Nomex woofers-good sound and easy to work with.
                                          Well, I'm aiming for more than "good" - I want hair raising shivers down your spine awesome...
                                          As far as the RS52 I do have a pair but at this point I have no plans to see how they compare with the MDM55. I'm satisfied as is.
                                          Satisfied, for how long? :P It's like a disease, it's certainly and addiction, if you're "one of us".

Well, have you used the RS52s in other projects? Generally, how do you like them compared to the MDM55s?

Do you think the Peerless tweeter you're using sounds similar to a Morel such as the MDT-30?

Comment

• augerpro
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Sakura
                                            Satisfied, for how long? :P It's like a disease, it's certainly and addiction, if you're "one of us".
                                            Man you don't have to that explain to me :B I have one project almost finished (Delphis) and two more in progress (Petras and Karnaks). After that NO MORE. I mean it.

I have not used the RS52. I was originally going to use them for the Delphis before switching to the Morel. So they are still in the box. Not sure what I'll end up doing with them.

I haven't compared the Peerless 810921 to any Morel tweeters. I'm going to do some A/B'ing against the Fountek ribbon though soon. I still like the 810921 best of all the tweeters I've used so that should be an interesting audition.
                                            ~Brandon 8O
                                            DriverVault
                                            Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"