X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pookie007
    • Apr 2006

A23 Hum

Does anyone else have problems with a ground hum with a Halo amp? I didn't have it on my two channel system but when I swapped it into the HT system it appears. It is the loudest hum I have ever hear. I swapped amp positions with the ARC and the hum followed the A23. I tried replacing cables, re-routing cables, the ground lift switch. I didn't see a stud for attaching a case ground. The components are isolated on wood shelves.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Pookie007
    Does anyone else have problems with a ground hum with a Halo amp? I didn't have it on my two channel system but when I swapped it into the HT system it appears. It is the loudest hum I have ever hear. I swapped amp positions with the ARC and the hum followed the A23. I tried replacing cables, re-routing cables, the ground lift switch. I didn't see a stud for attaching a case ground. The components are isolated on wood shelves.
    Do you have a cable box in your system? If so, try unhooking the cable and see if the hum goes away. If that helps, then purchase a Jensen VRD-1FF cable isolator. You can for instance find them on eBay ($15-$45).

If you don't have cable, then the other possible problem might be that you have your gear hooked up on different electrical circuits. Try unplugging the power cord of gear sitting on different circuits (video projector, powered subwoofers, etc.). If the equipment causing the problem is grounded, a $0.99 cheater plug from Lowe's hardware will probably solve the problem.

If you still can't find the problem, do it the other way around. Unhook everything. Start with amp+preamp only. Then hook up one unit at a time and test in between every moment. That will identify the source of the hum.

The ground switch on the Parasound amps is useless. It does not disconnect the chassis from ground as is implied. If the amp hums with nothing but the preamp connected, you should try a cheater plug on the amp.

Peter

Comment

• Pookie007
      • Apr 2006

I found the problem in the cable box coax. I routed the coax through my Monster Power line conditioner and the hum disappeared. The odd thing was I don't have any sort of hum with my Audio Research amps.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Pookie007
        The odd thing was I don't have any sort of hum with my Audio Research amps.
        Not odd at all. It just indicates that the AR amps don't have any electrical connection between power ground and signal ground. (Different design).

Peter

Comment

• mikepinkerton
          • Jun 2004

I solved my hum with my sat rcvr by connecting speaker wire between the metal chassis of the amp and the sat box. Much cheaper than buying anything from Monster

-Mike

Comment

• Pookie007
            • Apr 2006

I had the voltage regulator already. I just never needed to use the cable filter before. My initial plan was to ground the chassis together, but the Parasound didn't have a grounding nut and I didn't want to remove any of the other screws.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mikepinkerton
              I solved my hum with my sat rcvr by connecting speaker wire between the metal chassis of the amp and the sat box. Much cheaper than buying anything from Monster

-Mike
              Yeah, but still not as good as buing a true isolator like the Jensen I suggested. (I don't know what the Monster products do. If they provide full isolation, great! However, it is possible that the only ground the cable).

Did you see any detoriation in the cable signal (check all channels) ? When doing simple grounding to solve the problem, you move the potental differences from your equipment to the cable wire...

A true isolator is the safest solution IMHO.

Peter

Comment

• mikepinkerton
                • Jun 2004

I got a catalog from Sweetwater last week (pro recording gear) and they had a plug that they claim would cure ground-loop hum without defeating the ground (as all 2prong plugs do).

I can put up a link if you're curious. I still am satisfied with my speaker solution, tying the two grounds together. *shrug*

-Mike

Comment

• Pookie007
                  • Apr 2006

I am not sure how it did it, but the Monster Power HTS 3600 Power Center solved the hum problem. It has some sort of filtering shown on the mimic bus for coax connections.

My cable signal strength is fine. I have digital cable and all channels are working fine. I also ordered pay-per-view this weekend, so I have two way communication working also. There has been no problems at all. I was shocked at how hot the Halo amps run compared to the ARC.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"