X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmed
    • Dec 2006

Scan-Speak 7" Revelator

Im calculating the box volume and port size for the Scan-Speak 7" Revelator 8 ohm 18W/8831G00 or the 18W/8531G00, and Im coming up with a Box volume of 46L, F3 29.8 Hz, ported with 5.08cm x 10.3cm. At 21 Liters, Im getting an F3 of 42.7Hz with a port 5.08cm x 15.4cm. Can a 6.5" really go this low? I think I would be happy with an F3 of 42 Hz. This seems to be a very big volume for a 6.5". Am I doing something wrong? can I go smaller?

Based on Madisound.com "The 18W/8531G should have an F3 of about 50Hz sealed and 35Hz vented".

TECHNICAL DATA:
    Sensitivity 2.83V/1M 87dB
    Free air resonance Fs 27.5 Hz
    DC resistance 5.8 ohm
    V.C. inductance 0.35 mH
    Power 70W
    Effective cone area 150 cm2
    V.C. diameter 38 mm
    VC height -
    Air gap -

Lin. & max. excursion ±6.5 / ±11 mm
    Air gap flux density -
    Force factor BL Product 6.7 Tm
    Moving mass incl. air 15.5 g
    Net weight 1.75 kg
    Vas 61 ltrs
    Qms 5.0
    Qes 0.39
    Qts 0.36

What do you guys think?
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

Sweetspot for this woofer is 22 liter, this information was provided by the designer of the woofer (on a Danish forum). Almost every Scanspeak woofer is optimized for LF extension,(heavy cone, light suspension), this results in a larger Vas.

Comment

• gmed
      • Dec 2006

So would I be OK with 22 Liters?

Comment

• TacoD
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2004

Yes, read this pdf from Troels, he discusses the cabinet and tuning.

You can make a test cabinet, to try the tuning if you're not certain. But from my point of view it makes sense to use the advise from Scanspeak.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Thanks for posting the link to the PDF. I've always thought the D3806 might mate well with the 7" SS this way-- but it's an expensive speaker!

28 liters sounds about right to me... the 0.75 cu ft PE cab does that, the RS180 works very nice in it, too. I'm sure the Revelator would also if one wants to try for a little different bass extension (one must remember the difference between gross and net- net is what determines the acoustical properties, but you need the larger gross because of the driver volume, port volume, crossover volume, damping, etc.

Personally, I think a 10 -14 kHz crossover for the dome mid and tweeter is NOT the way to do a three way with these driversr, but using conventionial crossover approaches pushing the crossover points this far apart to aovid interactions would "seem" to be necessary.

Still, there's a lot of good info in the article, and stuff one could use as a "jump off point" to a nice design.

I'm looking at retrofitting my M8ta's to a similar concept with the RS52, but trying the Duelund crossover approach. Got my fingers crossed. Too many ideas and not enough time, as usual. That will wait until spring or so I imagine.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CraigJ
            • Feb 2006

Jon Marsh wrote:
            That will wait until spring or so I imagine
            A bunch of us are plotting a mass mailing campaign to your boss, for an extra two weeks off for you. We are working on a medical excuse; let's use the bad disc issue, no lifting, can't assist in corporate move, must stay home We would go to Evil Twin for advice, but he seems to have your busy schedule, it's a mystery, go figure.

Anyway, trying to visually fit the NS10-513-4A 10" Subwoofer, with RS52 and RS28 or D26NC55, into the M8ta type box. Isis/M8ta 8O Ah, winter projects.

Cj

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CraigJ

Anyway, trying to visually fit the NS10-513-4A 10" Subwoofer, with RS52 and RS28 or D26NC55, into the M8ta type box. Isis/M8ta 8O Ah, winter projects.

Cj

Well, now that's an interesting idea... the existing M8ta would be hard to honk out for the 10, but perhaps not impossible.... have you run a Unibox calculation on that? Could look pretty good.... you shouldn't get my thinking going down these paths, Craig!!!! The 4 ohm woofer impedance would help the net sensitivity; with 2.83V, should be about 87 dB, it's just pulling a bit more juice from the amplifier.

Now, I'm wondering if just for fun we should have some options on the tweter, maybe jazz it up to a D3004/66000... you were the one escalating to an Aurasound woofer, so I'll play the tweeter trump card, it would give a lot of fexibility in the crossover transfer function using a Duelund style design. And due to impedance similarities, the crossover would require little tweaking between this part and say, the RS28a.

Sounds like something for Evil Twin to think about...
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CraigJ
                • Feb 2006

Not to steal the thread, I was thinking of a petite Isis Grande, or an M10ta in the existing M8ta box + top piece
                have you run a Unibox calculation on that?
                ah, no. Does Unibox, or any of the the other speaker design software actually run on a Mac? I'll go back to you design, I build. ;x(

Cj

p.s. the NS10 requires a 8.89" cut out, the M8ta has 9.875" internal width 8) and a $28 mid and a $220 tweeter 8O
                Attached Files
                Last edited by CraigJ; 30 December 2006, 23:13 Saturday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CraigJ
                  Not to steal the thread, I was thinking of a petite Isis Grande, or an M10ta in the existing M8ta box + top piece ah, no. Does Unibox, or any of the the other speaker design software actually run on a Mac? I'll go back to you design, I build. ;x(

Cj

p.s. the NS10 requires a 8.89" cut out, the M8ta has 9.875" internal width 8) and a $28 mid and a $220 tweeter 8O

Hey, sounds like I could be in business... now remember, a $220 tweeter IS less expensive than a $270 tweeter, blah blah blah!

On my intel based Mac Laptops, I'm dual boot to Windows when I need it, so I can run XP apps natively. On my Quad core G5 Power Mac, we just do it by shear brute force and CPU cycles- VPC (virtual PC), a product from Microsoft that creates a customized XP enviroment on a Power PC based Mac. Not very practical for standard G4 or G5 PowerMacs, but on a Quad Core G5 with 8 GB of RAM, there's plenty of CPU cycles to throw around at the problem. That's what I've done all my EDGE simulations on, too.

I'll setup a Unibox calc for the NS10-513 this week- should be interesting. Since the twelve does so well in 76 liters, versus the RS225 in 68 liters, I'm thinking the 68 liters will probably be fine for the 10.

Anyone wants to do a customized top module scheme, well, that's where the Y in DIY comes from!

We'd better quit hijacking this thread and let it return to discussion of enclosure and design for the 7" revelator.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2004

The 6600 is a great tweeter, hopefully the new production run sounds the same as the "original". I like the idea with the Aura, but this thread was about the 7" scanspeak...

What about the 10" scanspeak revelator (the one with alu cone).

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

On the original topic, I think that set of drivers with a higher crossover might be a good candidate for a Duelund three way, maybe a center frequency near 2 kHz.

Which one of the SS 10" woofers were you referring to? The compact one, or the 26W8867T or it's 4 ohm sibling? It looks like it could be usable up fairly high, though there's a curious step in the published response around 500 Hz, and it does the typical big dip from flex before letting loose up on top that seems typical of curvilinear cones. Decent 9 mm Xmax. At ~260, it's a little dear on this side of the Atlantic.

It's an interesting comparison to the similarly priced W26, which has a bit less Xmax, almost identical moving mass, peaks at 550 Hz then drops back a bit. Not sure how high I'd trust it... the Seas W26 has about 3X the rated Le. The Seas ought to be very nice up to 300-400 Hz at least. I'd be curious to see what shows up with shaped sine bursts above that.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2004

I was thinking of the 26W/8867T00. I heard the Seas W26, but I wasn't blown away by it, but I think most of that was due to the bad execution (BR tuning was way of).

Also expensive overhere (but Aura is also very expensive ~270 euro)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Yeah, the price differential on Aurasound certainly hurts. I haven't seen any US measurements on the 26W8867T- what about Klang and Ton?

The first SS metal 10's that came out over here was the sub driver that was nearly $400- didn't generate a lot of interest at that price!

~Jon
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• xyrium
                            • Nov 2009

Would anyone care to repost that PDF? It appears to be no longer available at that link (Yeah, I know, this is an oldie). Thank you!

Originally posted by TacoD
                            Yes, read this pdf from Troels, he discusses the cabinet and tuning.

You can make a test cabinet, to try the tuning if you're not certain. But from my point of view it makes sense to use the advise from Scanspeak.
                            Paul

Comment

• Arc00
                              • Mar 2008

That is the project it relates to.

Comment

• TacoD
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Arc00
                                http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SP38.htm

That is the project it relates to.
                                Thanks.

Comment

• Notorious_AK
                                  • May 2008

Troels' SP38 doesn't look like very optimized design.
                                  tweeters don't perform to full potential, while 7in revelator is pushed too far at high frequencies.

Comment

• TacoD
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Feb 2004

The document describes what the Revelator designer recommends for box tuning. You can find lots of designs on the Internet which are not optimized, do not get me started on many commercial loudspeakers .

Comment

• jkrutke
                                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by TacoD
                                      The document describes what the Revelator designer recommends for box tuning.
                                      Taco, I see you're still talking about enclosure size for the 18W/8531G00. I made a blog entry a while back about that, though not you in particular.

It is often discussed about what the optimal enclosure size is for this excellent woofer. For a vented enclosure, a number that often pops up is 22 liters with a low 30's tuning because at one time or another, an engineer from Scan Speak said this is what the woofer was designed for. Well, I've got to warn you folks: vented in a 22 liter enclosure is clearly bad advice - and it keeps getting repeated by people who think it's some sort of definitive number. What the engineers designed for and what manufacturing has come up with is often different, and in this case very different. I think I've tested about 8 or 10 8531's over many years and the average Qts is about .47 with a range of .4 to .55 - very far off from manufacturer's specs. My tests for T/S parameters are often verified with high level in-box near field response curves. With the 8531, the best advice you'll get is to go big or go sealed. And even having said that, don't be afraid to go sealed as the 8531 has very satisfying extension in a sealed box. For vented, I think 30 liters is the smallest I would go, but 38 is even better, such as what I used in the ZRT design.
                                      Taco, what kind of real data or measurements would it take to prove to you that 22 liters vented is too small for a 18W/8531G00? Chances are I have that data and could post it here.
                                      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• JonW
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

My experience with the 18W/8531 mirrors what John is saying.

I made a series of test cabinets and tried different tunings. I listened to all the various configurations. Details are buried somewhere in the Spassvogel thread. I did 2 rounds of listening to different tune options, first in test cabinets and then in the final cabinets. In both rounds I ended up at the same tuning preference.

I went for a 34 Hz tune in about 39 liters. The woofer can certainly play lower. But it seemed to me that, say, at 30 Hz tune you got more bass but gave up a little bit of midrange clarity. Tunes higher than 34 Hz were diminishing in terms of picking up more midrange clarity but did loose some bass, of course.

All of this is just with my ears, so the results are not solid measurements like John has.

Comment

• SoundOfNothing
                                          • Aug 2009

Anyone play with and hear a sealed alignment? What was the optimum volume you came up with? Right now Im leaning with bigger is better, but I dont want to take too much volume from my bass driver.

Comment

• xyrium
                                            • Nov 2009

That's kind of where I'm headed with my inquiry. Zaph mentioned a potential sealed design for his ZRT, but I haven't seen anyone execute it yet. If that little 18W can get down to 35Hz in a reflex cab, I'm thinking one could get a solid 50-55 out of a sealed. That would be about as sweet as a design could be to cross over to a sub since the sats would be sealed, and the sub would only really need to play true sub freqs.

Anyone use a 20l sealed cab for this yet?
                                            Last edited by xyrium; 23 November 2009, 15:35 Monday.
                                            Paul

Comment

• TacoD
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by SoundOfNothing
                                              Anyone play with and hear a sealed alignment? What was the optimum volume you came up with? Right now Im leaning with bigger is better, but I dont want to take too much volume from my bass driver.
                                              I used both sealed 20 liter and vairous designs in ported 18 - 25 liter cabs. In a closed box the woofer still has decent bass performance. The woofers I used where early models from Scanspeak (do not have the T/S, but the measured FR response looked decent)

I also heard designs using the woofer in larger cabinets (first desgin of Dutch importer, when the revelator series where brand new), but it then doesn't sound as tight on the bass. I did not use myself the woofer for years, they also added a rubber sock for the magnet assembly, so your milage may vary.

The only advise I can give is to try various cabinets.

Comment

• TacoD
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by jkrutke
                                                Taco, I see you're still talking about enclosure size for the 18W/8531G00. I made a blog entry a while back about that, though not you in particular.

Taco, what kind of real data or measurements would it take to prove to you that 22 liters vented is too small for a 18W/8531G00? Chances are I have that data and could post it here.

I only wanted to help, as somebody was reading this old topic . Thank you for the offer, but you do not have to prove me anything, I fully capable to do the measurements myself (I only do not write a blog about it ).

Comment

• kstich
                                                  • Dec 2008

Sealed is what I plan on doing with Zaph's 2.5 way ZRT.

With Zaph's T/S, the 38 l enclosure comes out with an F3 of 60 Hz, and a Qtc of 0.783, which is pretty consistent with Zaph's tuning. I am planing on a little larger enclosure, but not much. Based on the above, it would take 54 l to get the speaker to a Qtc of 0.707 for two drivers.

When I model the various enclosure sizes they all seem about the same once the 80 Hz HP filter is applied. Considering the HP/sub filter, I am not sure how much effect the various enclosure Qtc's would have on the sound.

Comment

• Bear
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Dec 2008

You may find Zaph's blog post from August 22nd helpful in terms of planning cabinet size for the 18W Revelator:
                                                    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Curt C
                                                      • Feb 2005

From the FWIW corner:

I tested a pair this weekend. I don't have all the T/S numbers handy, but I remember their consistency was very close, with Qts around 0.5, Vas of 42 liters, and fs of around 30 Hz.

C
                                                      Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• xyrium
                                                        • Nov 2009

Thanks guys. I totally appreciate the input.
                                                        Paul

Comment

• xyrium
                                                          • Nov 2009

Hey Gmed,

Though I'm not being a slacker, can you copy and paste your DDBase entry for the 8531 and PM it to me? For some reason, I can't get unibox to display the proper output after i enter the parameters into the DDBase tab.

Tks,
                                                          Paul

Originally posted by gmed
                                                          Im calculating the box volume and port size for the Scan-Speak 7" Revelator 8 ohm 18W/8831G00 or the 18W/8531G00, and Im coming up with a Box volume of 46L, F3 29.8 Hz, ported with 5.08cm x 10.3cm. At 21 Liters, Im getting an F3 of 42.7Hz with a port 5.08cm x 15.4cm. Can a 6.5" really go this low? I think I would be happy with an F3 of 42 Hz. This seems to be a very big volume for a 6.5". Am I doing something wrong? can I go smaller?

Based on Madisound.com "The 18W/8531G should have an F3 of about 50Hz sealed and 35Hz vented".

TECHNICAL DATA:
                                                          Sensitivity 2.83V/1M 87dB
                                                          Free air resonance Fs 27.5 Hz
                                                          DC resistance 5.8 ohm
                                                          V.C. inductance 0.35 mH
                                                          Power 70W
                                                          Effective cone area 150 cm2
                                                          V.C. diameter 38 mm
                                                          VC height -
                                                          Air gap -

Lin. & max. excursion ±6.5 / ±11 mm
                                                          Air gap flux density -
                                                          Force factor BL Product 6.7 Tm
                                                          Moving mass incl. air 15.5 g
                                                          Net weight 1.75 kg
                                                          Vas 61 ltrs
                                                          Qms 5.0
                                                          Qes 0.39
                                                          Qts 0.36

What do you guys think?
                                                          Paul

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"